Worst thing.

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Worst thing.

Post by Dalek Prime »

In your opinion, what is the absolutely worse thing that one can do?

To me, it's the act of procreation; creating a new consciousness that may then suffer from all other acts.

How about you?
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Worst thing.

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Dalek Prime wrote:In your opinion, what is the absolutely worse thing that one can do?

To me, it's the act of procreation; creating a new consciousness that may then suffer from all other acts.

How about you?
First what do you mean by all other acts? And who says that the new consciousness has to suffer at all?

For me the worst thing anyone can do is letting criminals go unpunished as that can lead to more crime.

PhilX
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:In your opinion, what is the absolutely worse thing that one can do?

How about you?
The worst thing that one can do, depends on context, time and circumstance. Keeping that in mind:

To yourself, having a dogmatic belief that you adhere to throughout life. You make life choices accordingly. And then, you have a change of heart or mind resulting In deep regret, and other negative thoughts/feelings which you can't cope with.

To others, killing them dead. Either physically or mentally.

To the world, not caring enough, or caring too much.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Hate

(It festers and limits possibilities)
Walker

Post by Walker »

REDRUM!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:

How about you?
First what do you mean by all other acts? And who says that the new consciousness has to suffer at all?

For me the worst thing anyone can do is letting criminals go unpunished as that can lead to more crime.

PhilX
Criminals and victims have to be born first.

And good luck not suffering at all Phil. All things mentioned above, and will be mentioned, are the products of birth and consciousness. Can't have one without the other.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:

How about you?
The worst thing that one can do, depends on context, time and circumstance. Keeping that in mind:

To yourself, having a dogmatic belief that you adhere to throughout life. You make life choices accordingly. And then, you have a change of heart or mind resulting In deep regret, and other negative thoughts/feelings which you can't cope with.

To others, killing them dead. Either physically or mentally.

To the world, not caring enough, or caring too much.
I'm convinced that most philosophers are afraid to stand by their convictions, even after working their way through the thought process, and peer review not finding legitimate gaps.
uwot

Post by uwot »

How about you?
You're one of those that thinks life is an incurable, sexually transmitted disease. Personally, I think that given the choice between three score and ten and nothing, one of the worst things you can do is deny future generations that choice.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

uwot wrote:

How about you?
You're one of those that thinks life is an incurable, sexually transmitted disease. Personally, I think that given the choice between three score and ten and nothing, one of the worst things you can do is deny future generations that choice.
Bullshit. Future generations aren't being denied anything, nor missing anything, because they don't exist, and don't expect to. What a load of romantic crap notion that is, uwot.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

How about you?
So, you would have no living beings on Earth at all, is that right?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:

How about you?
So, you would have no living beings on Earth at all, is that right?
Why would that matter in the long run? Aside from your personal distaste for the thought? Who's going to notice the difference? Even you won't know or care, soon enough.

Tell me right now, directly; who would that effect or impact, after current existents are gone?
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

You assume a lot about me from my question which you didn't answer.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:You assume a lot about me from my question which you didn't answer.
And you can't see my answer, which is clear. Besides, you are all assumptions about my personality, and never properly answer mine. And you have a tendency to avoid uncomfortable concepts.

Yes, I would have no consciousness in the universe.

Now, quid pro quo. Answer mine.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:You assume a lot about me from my question which you didn't answer.
And you cant see my answer, which is clear. Besides, you are all assumptions about my personality, and never properly answer mine. And you have a tendency to avoid uncomfortable concepts.

Yes, I would have no consciousness in the universe.

Now, quid pro quo. Answer mine.
I don't respond well to demands of quid pro quo. How the hell do you think you could produce the circumstances in which there would be no consciousness in the universe. And why would you wish this ?
henry quirk

EDIT EDIT EDIT

Post by henry quirk »

In my view...

The worst thing you can do is use *my child (define 'use' as you like).

#

"I would have no consciousness in the universe."

Then, when it comes time to elect a new god, no way in hell will you get my vote... ;)

Me: I like being alive.

*thought on it a bit (a very tiny little bit)...decided I'm no good with universals and abolutes...decided all I can honestly say is, if you eye my kid with bad intent, I'll bite your face off...can't really say I'll get equally worked up if you eye somebody else's kid...simply, not enough of me to police the world
Last edited by henry quirk on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.