Has Your Life Been Worth It?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Has Your Life Been Worth It?

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.Yes. Overall it's been a wash between pain, suffering and those very few but precious fleeting moments of exhilaration.
Sounds tough and a little overblown for someone brought up in relative luxury.
What has made my life worth it, for me, is the few focused weeks of my original study of a philosophical discipline described in the works of Ouspensky. And the subsequent deep understanding that happened to me in a math class when I was 20 or so.
Sounds like you've wasted both experiences.
Think about death constantly now...now that I am near. I realize that NOTHING I have, nothing I posses in my mind, nothing that I have worked for matters...nothing.
Not sure what you thought mattered about it in the first place? Who was it meant to matter to?
How bout you? Has your life been worth it?.
Already answered you as unlike you I answer sentences with question marks. Still, it's not over yet so I'll see.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Worth what? What is a life supposed to be? Is it supposed to be focused on how happy one is...or how intelligent one becomes...or is it just to answer the question, "Why are we here?"

I look at life like I look at going on vacation...there is no real purpose. You can relax on vacation, or you can see as much as you can. You can have a sucky vacation or you can have a good one. I don't try to bother myself with the details, I just want do what I want to do when I want to do it...so that means...keeping my nose clean and staying out of prison, and not wasting my life on cruel people who want to imprison you with their emotional baggage. It means allowing for as much freedom as possible. To have an understanding with other like minded people who also want to be as free as possible to do what they will.

and then...

you just do it....there is no value...there is no 'worth'.

I used to always say if I ever became suicidal, I would kill myself by going on a suicide mission. Some great adventure...just to see what I could get away with...I mean after all...I don't care if I die...right...I mean that's the point....lol. So I would make some travel plans to see if I could get behind enemy lines somewhere...maybe see if I could get captured...or sneak around for a while. And then when I did get captured hug and kiss my captor and laugh ...maybe tickle him....be just a real pain in the ass...do a three stooges routine...yuk yuk yuk.

:twisted:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Welcome back artisticsolution.

Where does someone go who already lives in the vacation capital of the world?

I share your feelings about staying out of jail and the suicide thingy.

Pursuing self-consciousness is the only thing that matters within a philosophically-based life.

Lose the baggage. Live within each moment. No extra thoughts. Know yourself through self-consciousness = ecstasy.

Detachment.

marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:Brie, wine, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBJ6yptGqm4
You forgot the crackers.
Then again...

'You have the floor, moonwalker...'
:D
Walker

Post by Walker »

Moon leads to sky. Sky leads to Skywalker. Skywalker leads to Luke, and the crumbs from Yoda’s table.

I've seen towns across the country change, from prosperous to living off the crumbs.

Pawnshops, dollar thrift stores, boarded up buildings. A little pharmacy that let us read comics for free, as long as we still had some fountain drink left in front of us. We would stop there on the way home from the library. Why spend fifteen cents for a comic when for the same price you could drink a fountain soda and read a comic for free. The owner would see us often enter lugging a stack of library books, and would let us read the current comics for free. That little pharmacy is now a museum selling bric-a-brac, souvenirs of days before interstate.
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Walker wrote:Brie, wine, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBJ6yptGqm4
You forgot the crackers.
Then again...

'You have the floor, moonwalker...'
:D
Yes dear, let’s work it.

The funny man makes a salient observation or two.

For instance, why do dentists pull so many Wisdom Teeth?

Ostensibly to contribute to the pathway of imagined perfection, for those who can pay. But what’s the real reason?

Is the pulling of wisdom teeth resulting in more wisdom?

Is it a conspiracy?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:...

Pursuing self-consciousness is the only thing that matters within a philosophically-based life.
Now there's a fraudian slip if I've ever heard one as if it is the case that 'self-consciousness' is the only thing that matters then surely achieving it is the only thing that really matters?
Lose the baggage. ...
Best to find out what luggage you've got in the first place. So in your case it sounds like you still have a couple of cases left-over from your religious upbringing. So lose the idea that there is something behind what you've got, lose the idea that you are 'imperfect' in some sense to some other better 'self-consciousness', that there is some 'reality' being hidden or denied to you, etc.
Live within each moment. ...
Best you define what this 'moment' is to you first?
No extra thoughts. ...
What the hell is an 'extra thought'?

Better to identify the difference between thoughting and thinking and know when you are doing either. Understand what your thinking and thoughting strategies are, how they relate to your goals or outcomes and how communication and language works in these matters. Learn how to still the internal monologue(if you have one). Identify the positive intention behind any behaviour you wish to change. Learn how to take the three positions or viewpoints before speaking to another. Try achieving some of these and 'self-consciousness' may well be an achievable state.
Know yourself through self-consciousness = ecstasy.

Detachment. [/size]
Really!? A 'detached ecstasy'? :roll:
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Your responses remind one of some Bible passages; Most people have ears but cannot hear. Have mouths yet cannot speak.

FYI: The original meaning of ecstasy is - detachment.

artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Hi Bill...thanks.

Self consciousness is not always ecstasy. If we are honest about who we are....sometimes it can be disappointing. Is there comfort in just being 1 more among the herd? Perhaps. I dunno.

Is it my ego that tells me I am special or was it my parents ego?

Are they the Balloon, and I the air?

Personally, the idea of life as a vacation has nothing to wit the destination , but more the journey. Who is to say what value the journey has? I am tired of listening to the ego of my parents. I am tired of listening to the ego of myself. :D
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
Your responses remind one of some Bible passages; Most people have ears but cannot hear. Have mouths yet cannot speak.
And yours remind me that a philosophical contradiction is no obstacle to the hard of thought.
FYI: The original meaning of ecstasy is - detachment.[/size].
Fair point, so now explain to me how it works with "Live within each moment"? :roll:

By-the-by any chance that you might one day answer a sentence that ends with a question mark? As this inability clearly identifies you as just another internut loon or gnu, a la bobby.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Yeah, I mean, I always answer your questions.

Just that when you question EVERY statement I make - it's tiring after a few years.

You can't see it but your style of posting has not varied at all since you established yourself here.

For a while, while you were my apprentice, I had hope. Now I just realize you have reached your potential.

I accept you.

When you give me multiple question within response to one of my simple posts - I will choose one or two of your questions to answer. MY choice.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Yeah, I mean, I always answer your questions.
You are delusional, you answer no sentences that end with a question mark. For example, you didn't answer the one in my last post.
Just that when you question EVERY statement I make - it's tiring after a few years.
I only question the vague and contradictory ones. That you make so many is your issue not mine as this is a Philosophy forum and defining and refining one's thoughts is the point, but I get that that's not why you are here.
You can't see it but your style of posting has not varied at all since you established yourself here.
That's because my 'style' is called logical and critical analysis but I get that such a philosophical method is not to your liking.
For a while, while you were my apprentice, I had hope. Now I just realize you have reached your potential.
Spoken like a true gnu.
I accept you.
And again.
When you give me multiple question within response to one of my simple posts - I will choose one or two of your questions to answer. MY choice.
Just answering one would be a miracle but the reason why there are multiple questions is to do with the vague, ill-defined and generally contradictory statements you make, but then you are a gnu.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Why has your life been worth it? ....or has it?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Why has your life been worth it? ....or has it?
See what I mean folks! Gnus and internut loons, identifiable by a complete inability to answer sentences ending with question marks.

I've already told you Bill but just for the hard of memory, because at times it's been a great laugh. That and that it was worth it just to have the kids.

What would make your life of worth to you?
p.s.
Oo! Oo! And one of the things that's so far made it well worthwhile was being born in a time and place that has allowed me to roar around on-top of an internal combustion engine, insanity and laughter! Hence I've learnt to ride a motorcycle, drive a car and a big red double-decker bus. Still hoping to drive an artic and a train but getting on a bit now. :D
Last edited by Arising_uk on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.