Has Your Life Been Worth It?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Has Your Life Been Worth It?

Post by Arising_uk »

You're a moron as you are using "penultimate" incorrectly in the context of what you say but you do this a lot as you just like the sound of your own pretentiousness using words you don't understand, its why you are a gnu.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I'm using the word penultimate exactly how I wanted to.

I understand the meaning of the word.

Perhaps I would suggest to re-read my above post where I used the word originally and plug-in the correct definition that I provided for you.

I'm sure my above comments will make more sense to you now.

You're welcome.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.I'm using the word penultimate exactly how I wanted to.
Said Humpty.
I understand the meaning of the word.
I'd be more interested how you know the last?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Blah...Blah...blaaaah.

Your scare quotes are ineffectual
& in this case you can't even admit you were mistaken...Sad.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What are you yakking on about? I quote because the thought has ended and in a conversation I'd have been able to have replied, here that is not possible.

It's obvious that you don't understand the issue, how do you know the next one is the last so that this one is the penultimate? You do understand the meaning of "last" in this context don't you? It doesn't mean the most recent, it means the last.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Think this is where your misunderstanding began...I feel very uncomfortable in reviewing this with you & I think you have successfully de-railed this particular thread.

You are cheating the rest of the active membership here & I think - that's kind-of selfish...anyway,

I will ALWAYS consider a deep philosophical experience as I refer to below as a penultimate experience for I WILL ALWAYS CONSIDER THERE WILL BE ANOTHER DEEP EXPERIENCE TO COME IN MY LIFE. EVEN IF THAT DEEP EXPERIENCE IS THE EXPERIENCE OF MY ACTUAL DEATH.

Don't know why this set you off - best check your self!

FYI; There is no folks here. Just you & me.

Well, my life has already been made worthwhile. Because of a philosophical discipline that I followed when I was quite young.

I devoted my life to understanding myself; Devoted mt life to philosophy.

Though outer circumstances are all important, the penultimate moment of my life was when I was sitting in a classroom and because of the all-encompassing devotion that I had practiced within this discipline I had an extended period of self-consciousness that lead to a miracle; A moment of objective consciousness; Cosmic consciousness; Enlightenment...Which is a strangely inner & outer experience at the same time.

Sorry. Impossible to explain. Must be experienced...Which is where the miracle occurred.

Thank you for your input to this thread and THANK YOU for giving me this opportunity to express, in a way, why this life that I have been given was worth it.

tl;dr - philosophy.

Hope that helps you. If you still are unable to understand what I have expressed throughout this thread - I am no longer willing to spend my time in this foray.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.Think this is where your misunderstanding began...I feel very uncomfortable in reviewing this with you & I think you have successfully de-railed this particular thread.

You are cheating the rest of the active membership here & I think - that's kind-of selfish...anyway,

I will ALWAYS consider a deep philosophical experience as I refer to below as a penultimate experience for I WILL ALWAYS CONSIDER THERE WILL BE ANOTHER DEEP EXPERIENCE TO COME IN MY LIFE. ...
So it can't be the penultimate idiot!
EVEN IF THAT DEEP EXPERIENCE IS THE EXPERIENCE OF MY ACTUAL DEATH.
You won't experience your actual death, just dying.
Don't know why this set you off - best check your self!
Hello! Philosophy forum, check yourself gnu.
FYI; There is no folks here. Just you & me.
I never act in any other way but you need to check your use of "we" then.
Well, my life has already been made worthwhile. Because of a philosophical discipline that I followed when I was quite young.

I devoted my life to understanding myself; Devoted mt life to philosophy.
Sounds a waste to me.
Though outer circumstances are all important, the penultimate moment of my life was when I was sitting in a classroom and because of the all-encompassing devotion that I had practiced within this discipline I had an extended period of self-consciousness that lead to a miracle; A moment of objective consciousness; Cosmic consciousness; Enlightenment...Which is a strangely inner & outer experience at the same time. ...
From which you then wasted your life chasing it again rather than being enlightened and moving on.

You're using "penultimate" wrongly again.
Sorry. Impossible to explain. Must be experienced...Which is where the miracle occurred.
Now what was that Einstein quote you're so fond of?
Thank you for your input to this thread and THANK YOU for giving me this opportunity to express, in a way, why this life that I have been given was worth it.
KMA comes to mind.
tl;dr - philosophy.
No eyed deer?
Hope that helps you. If you still are unable to understand what I have expressed throughout this thread - I am no longer willing to spend my time in this foray.[/size].
Course you will as you're a gnu.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

I'll answer tomorrow.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Looking back upon yourself - Why? Why did you exist?
Parents had sex.
Was your existence worth the time
Sure. Just wish I had more of it.
effort
Yes.
pain
I haven't had a lot of pain overall. Certainly instances of it, but it's been a small percentage of my life.
and unknowing?
Unknowing? Does that bother some people? Weird.
Could someone else justify your life if they did not know you?
Sure.
What would that justification be based upon?
Anyone can justify anything. I see justification as subjective. It just depends on what the individual in question considers to be a sufficient justification for whatever they're justifying.
What if you eliminated everything you consider personal? Your personal trail. Have you created something beyond your short personal interests?
I consider that stuff personal, too, but sure, I've created stuff that other people have some interest in, too, and will continue to have interest in for awhile probably after I'm gone.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You have provided a rather pedestrian or sophomoric response to what I, was hoping to be, a more philosophical interpretation.

However, if that is the best that you muster I do appreciate your response.

Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Your criticism would have more bite if you had the slightest inkling what philosophy is.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

From Wikipedia :

Philosophy (from Greek φιλοσοφία, philosophia, literally "love of wisdom") is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

The term was probably coined by Pythagoras (c. 570 – c. 495 BC). Philosophical methods include questioning, critical discussion, rational argument and systematic presentation.Classic philosophical questions include: Is it possible to know anything and to prove it? What is most real? However, philosophers might also pose more practical and concrete questions such as: Is there a best way to live? Is it better to be just or unjust (if one can get away with it)? Do humans have free will?

Historically, "philosophy" encompassed any body of knowledge.

From the time of Ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle to the 19th century, "natural philosophy" encompassed astronomy, medicine and physics.[15] For example, Newton's 1687 Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy later became classified as a book of physics. In the 19th century, the growth of modern research universities led academic philosophy and other disciplines to professionalize and specialize.

In the modern era, some investigations that were traditionally part of philosophy became separate academic disciplines, including psychology, sociology, linguistics and economics.

Other investigations closely related to art, science, politics, or other pursuits remained part of philosophy. For example, is beauty objective or subjective? Are there many scientific methods or just one? Is political utopia a hopeful dream or hopeless fantasy?

Major sub-fields of academic philosophy include metaphysics ("concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being"), epistemology (about the "nature and grounds of knowledge [and]...its limits and validity" ), ethics, aesthetics, political philosophy, logic, philosophy of science and the history of Western philosophy.

Since the 20th century professional philosophers contribute to society primarily as professors, researchers and writers. However, many of those who study philosophy in undergraduate or graduate programs contribute in the fields of law, journalism, politics, religion, science, business and various art and entertainment activities.

...you're welcome.

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Bill Wiltrack to Terrapin Station wrote:You have provided a rather pedestrian or sophomoric response to what I, was hoping to be, a more philosophical interpretation. However, if that is the best that you muster I do appreciate your response.
Bill, you often seem to be critical of people's answers to your questions... as if you hold the magic chest of worthy answers. And although you have answered your own questions THIS TIME in this thread with prodding, how often do you not answer your own questions, but you critique the answers of others? As if you are trying to unjustifiably perch yourself in a leadership/authority position over others? Being the self-observant person you say you are, have you given conscious thought to why you do such a thing? What is your need?

Terrapin's response was PERFECTLY perfect. It was a fucking THOUGHTFUL set of answers. I'm guessing it peeved you because it shows how shallow and directionless and uncontrollable questions can be? But that can ultimately inspire better questions, yes?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Glad you brought this up...

When someone, on a philosophy site, asks, Looking back upon yourself - Why? Why did you exist?

...and the response is, Parents had sex.

I have to admit, I just momentarily froze. And I see a lot of stupid responses here over the years...but THIS ONE. This one is indefensible.

And, quite frankly, the rest of the responses from this particular poster just followed in-line with that first response.

Perhaps that particular poster is in-line with your reflection into the nature of life & philosophy. Telling.

Sad.

Good day young lady.

You have already soiled this thread. Mission accomplished.

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Oh come on, Bill. Where is your sense of humor? Don't you realize how WISE a sense of humor is?

And you keep accusing people of SOILING your threads? WE ARE GRACING YOUR THREADS!!!