Show THEM the money -- those truly needing it most

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FrankGSterleJr

Show THEM the money -- those truly needing it most

Post by FrankGSterleJr »

Mark Zuckerberg’s $45 billion philanthropic bid stuns charity world

SAN FRANCISCO—Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is shaking up yet another sector—the charity world—with his surprise announcement that he and his wife will devote the bulk of their wealth, or about $45 billion, to philanthropic works.
The move will eventually put him and his wife, Priscilla Chan, in the same philanthropic echelon as Bill and Melinda Gates. It also involves a new type of philanthropic structure that differs from traditional foundations, although details on that remain scarce.
Zuckerberg made his pledge on Facebook in celebration of his daughter Max’s birth.
The Zuckerbergs said Tuesday they will, over time, commit 99 per cent of their Facebook stockholdings to such causes as fighting disease, improving education and “building strong communities.” The couple had previously pledged to give away at least half their assets during their lifetime, but hadn’t provided specifics.
The announcement stunned the charity world. “It’s incredibly impressive and an enormous commitment that really eclipses anything that we’ve seen in terms of size,” said Phil Buchanan, president of the non-profit Center for Effective Philanthropy.
The new organization, called the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, will pursue its initiatives through a combination of charitable donations, private investment and promotion of government-policy reform.
By comparison, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has an endowment of just over $41 billion, which includes wealth donated by the Microsoft founder and his friend, the businessman Warren Buffett.
The new initiative will be organized as a limited liability company, however, rather than as a non-profit foundation. “They want the most flexibility and they are going to use a wide variety of activities to achieve their mission,” Rachael Horwitz, a Facebook spokeswoman, said via email. “So in that way this is not a foundation nor is it entirely charitable.”
The notion of investing money in companies that tackle social issues isn’t new, but it has gained more currency among a younger generation of philanthropists, particularly in the tech world.
Zuckerberg has also shown a previous interest in influencing public policy. He led other prominent Silicon Valley figures in forming a group, FWD.us, that lobbied and gave donations to congressional candidates in an unsuccessful effort to promote immigration reforms. Depending on how much of the new effort is devoted to lobbying, it could raise new questions about the influence of money in today’s politics, some experts said.
In the letter to their daughter, Zuckerberg and Chan described their goals as “advancing human potential and promoting equality.” They added: “We must make long term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years. The greatest challenges require very long time horizons and cannot be solved by short term thinking.”
While Zuckerberg promised to release more details in the future, he said the couple will transfer most of their wealth to the initiative “during our lives.” The couple will be in charge of the initiative, although Zuckerberg won’t be quitting his day job.
“I have a full-time job running Facebook,” he told The Associated Press in an interview last month, during which he discussed the couple’s approach to philanthropy. Of his job at the social network, he added, “I’m going to be doing this for long time.”
The Facebook co-founder is one of the world’s wealthiest men. He and Chan, a 30-year-old pediatrician, have previously donated $100 million to public schools in Newark, New Jersey, and pledged $120 million to schools in poor communities of the San Francisco Bay Area. They’ve also given $75 million to the Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, where Chan did her medical training.
In a statement, Facebook said the couple’s plan to transfer their shares over time won’t affect his status as controlling shareholder of the company. The company said Zuckerberg has committed to dispose of no more than $1 billion of Facebook stock every year for the next three years.
Zuckerberg and Chan had announced on Facebook last July that they were expecting a daughter, after Chan had three previous miscarriages. Horwitz said a 7-pound, 8-ounce baby was born early last week, but declined to say which day.
“Mom and baby are both healthy and doing well,” Horwitz added. Zuckerberg has said he plans to take two months of paternity leave.

December 2, 2015, The Associated Press

For starters, one would think that in order to truly ‘earn’ tens of billions of bucks, the very wealthy person would have to be performing some super feat for humanity or our dying eco-systems around so much of Spaceship Earth; helping to totally eliminate starvation or alleviate a great deal of the mass suffering—for example, through the mass distribution of much needed medicines—occurring 24/7 planet-wide. However, having said that …

“SAN FRANCISCO—Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is shaking up yet another sector—the charity world—with his surprise announcement that he and his wife will devote the bulk of their wealth, or about $45 billion, to philanthropic works.”

Wow! That’s really great to hear! Giving “the bulk of their wealth, or about $45 billion, to philanthropic works”! Now that’s what I call super generous!

“The move will eventually put him and his wife, Priscilla Chan, in the same philanthropic echelon as Bill and Melinda Gates. It also involves a new type of philanthropic structure that differs from traditional foundations, although details on that remain scarce.”

Wait a second: Mark Zuckerberg-and-wife’s generous donation “involves a new type of philanthropic structure that differs from traditional foundations, although details on that remain scarce”? The details don’t remain too scarce to keep me from wondering whether it’s essentially the same kind of Bill Gates ‘philanthropy’, specifically the huge wad of cash that Gates ‘donated’ about a decade back that very much sounded like it went into computer tech and program training scholarships, etcetera; a somewhat thinly-veiled huge investment into training those who’ll to some extent or another eventually stimulate the very trade that made Gates a mega billionaire in the first place. So much for no-strings-attached ‘charitable giving’, eh.

“The new organization, called the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, will pursue its initiatives through a combination of charitable donations, private investment and promotion of government-policy reform.”

Oh, yeah. That sounds like real charity, though perhaps in a corporate-welfare-like way. And that “promotion of government-policy reform” sounds a bit creepy, as well, though in a government lobbyist sort of way.

“The new initiative will be organized as a limited liability company, however, rather than as a non-profit foundation. “They want the most flexibility and they are going to use a wide variety of activities to achieve their mission,” Rachael Horwitz, a Facebook spokeswoman, said via email. “So in that way this is not a foundation nor is it entirely charitable.”

Regardless, it already smells of an insidious procurement of a government-tax-break setup for mega-billionaires under the BS guise of ‘giving’.

“The notion of investing money in companies that tackle social issues isn’t new, but it has gained more currency among a younger generation of philanthropists, particularly in the tech world.”

… and more currency, particularly in the gluttonous greedy world of Big Business.

In the letter to their daughter, Zuckerberg and Chan described their goals as “advancing human potential and promoting equality.” They added: “We must make long term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years. The greatest challenges require very long time horizons and cannot be solved by short term thinking.”

“… advancing human potential and promoting equality,” is much too vague, at best, and the slithery-sounding platitudes tend to turn my stomach, just a little bit. And, “we must make long term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years”: I’d say a century’s worth of locked-in GIC, Term Deposit—or better yet, some investment sectors with far greater yield—to the tune of tens of billions of dollars sounds like what a corporate doctor would order.
kriswest

Re: Show THEM the money -- those truly needing it most

Post by kriswest »

That they are doing anything with their earned fortune is better then nothing. You can assume the worst as most will or just accept the gesture. I think trying to plan for generations is far better then tossing it to the present. If someone said you could have $100 now or $5,000 for your grandkids, which would you choose? That $100 is in front of you , you can see it all you have to do is grab it. The $5000 does not exist it is just a promis , a hope, a potential.
hajrafradi

Re: Show THEM the money -- those truly needing it most

Post by hajrafradi »

I think the idea is that the Zucker couple declares "charitable action of unprecedented proportions", but essentially they create tax breaks for themselves, and investment vehicles to increase the value of their portfolio?

I am not an accountant. I am a pauper. I bet one thing, though: I'll never see one red cent of the billions the Zuckers donate. Generally, the donations go to higher-class wives who have incredibly beautiful hairdos, an expensively appointed office, but never to squeegee kids. The money goes in the form of cash into safes of corporate manager-types, never into the hands of single mothers who live on welfare and struggle to get every bite of formula for their babies. The money goes to the caterers of lavish parties, where diamonds are glittering, and deals are made in the shade, but never to the homeless who bundle their feet in newspapers and shopping bags.

The entire "charitable" thing makes me puke. Really.

Once Paul, my best friend, and the funniest man in the entire world, said, "They should set up counseling for the poor how to deal with their hunger".

It will come, it will come. In the city of 400,000 denizens, where I live now, they (whoever "they" are... I saw a billboard ad about this, but it could be the extension of the Zucker donation) have set up counseling for grief to those families, where the wage earners lost their jobs. "How to deal with job loss by the entire family."