Adolf Eichmann: Banality of Evil

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Adolf Eichmann: Banality of Evil

Post by Gary Childress »

DesolationRow wrote:Any thoughts on Eichmann's trial? And the banality of evil? That thoughtless bureaucracy, rule-following, submission to authority, and indifference are objectionable on moral grounds to a very high degree, as much if not more than outright cruelty. I tend to agree, namely that profound stupidity is a crime against mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaN7DR8Zj5o
I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject but I believe there is some dispute with Arendt's characterization of Eichmann and to what extent Eichmann was anti-Semitic and aware of the consequences of his actions. I recall reading that some have maintained that Arendt's assessment of Eichmann wasn't entirely accurate and he was a bigger monster than she had realized.

But (relative to the topic) to put a contemporary spin on the "Banality of Evil", I'm curious what others think of Ward Churchill's famous or perhaps infamous (depending) comment about many of the WTC victims being "little Eichmanns". :?:
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote:
DesolationRow wrote:Any thoughts on Eichmann's trial? And the banality of evil? That thoughtless bureaucracy, rule-following, submission to authority, and indifference are objectionable on moral grounds to a very high degree, as much if not more than outright cruelty. I tend to agree, namely that profound stupidity is a crime against mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaN7DR8Zj5o
I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject but I believe there is some dispute with Arendt's characterization of Eichmann and to what extent Eichmann was anti-Semitic and aware of the consequences of his actions. I recall reading that some have maintained that Arendt's assessment of Eichmann wasn't entirely accurate and he was a bigger monster than she had realized.

But (relative to the topic) to put a contemporary spin on the "Banality of Evil", I'm curious what others think of Ward Churchill's famous or perhaps infamous (depending) comment about many of the WTC victims being "little Eichmanns". :?:
'...has text under Churchill's byline saying that the trade center victims in New York were ignorant of the evil they did every day "because they were too busy braying, incessantly and self-importantly, into their cell phones, arranging power lunches and stock transactions, each of which translated, conveniently out of sight, mind and smelling distance, into the starved and rotting flesh of infants. If there was a better, more effective, or in fact any other way of visiting some penalty befitting their participation upon the little Eichmanns inhabiting the sterile sanctuary of the twin towers, I'd really be interested in hearing about it."

He certainly paints an accurate picture of stock market wankers. But I think many of the victims were ordinary people like cleaners and restaurant workers.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
He certainly paints an accurate picture of stock market wankers. But I think many of the victims were ordinary people like cleaners and restaurant workers.
so it would be ok if we could only target people directly involved in stock trading

but a lot of trade unions have their members pensions invested in the stock market, and unions are by definition capable of no evil

how would you make sure union interests are not harmed while killing stockbrokers
vegetariantaxidermy

Kayla wrote: so it would be ok if we could only target people directly involved in stock trading
Can you even read? You have a habit of 'reading' stuff that isn't even there.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Kayla wrote: so it would be ok if we could only target people directly involved in stock trading
ooooh personal attacks i love those

can i play too?

you are being terribly vague, its a bad habit

you should do something about that
vegetariantaxidermy

Kayla wrote:
ooooh personal attacks i love those

can i play too?

you are being terribly vague, its a bad habit

you should do something about that
You keep seeing things that aren't there. I think it's called psychosis. You should do something about that.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I think it's called psychosis. You should do something about that.
boooooring
vegetariantaxidermy

Kayla wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I think it's called psychosis. You should do something about that.
boooooring
Yes you are, and you really should do something about that psychosis.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Kayla wrote:
boooooring
Yes you are, and you really should do something about that psychosis.

Her psychosis defines her, as do your own foibles. Why don't you do something about yours?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Sometimes Evil is not so banal. Sometimes it is blatant.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bdt2fV_IUAA2anA.jpg

Adolf Eichmann was a pen pusher. Moving a list of names from one column to another meant their mistreatment and murder. This was done under orders, in the calm environment of an office.

The only difference here is that Sharon was not following orders, but giving them.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Sometimes Evil is not so banal. Sometimes it is blatant.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bdt2fV_IUAA2anA.jpg

Adolf Eichmann was a pen pusher. Moving a list of names from one column to another meant their mistreatment and murder. This was done under orders, in the calm environment of an office.

The only difference here is that Sharon was not following orders, but giving them.
You can't criticise an Israeli PM. That makes you anti-semitic, jew-hating slime. There's no such thing as 'evil', just horrible people who don't give a damn about others' suffering. I would say that's a fairly large percentage of the population.