Whose Life has Value?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

osgart
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:38 am

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by osgart » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm

so if someone doesn't produce a beneficial result to society they should be eliminated?

who is playing God over all people to do that?

is this what everyone wants?

Impenitent
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by Impenitent » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 pm

osgart wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm
so if someone doesn't produce a beneficial result to society they should be eliminated?

who is playing God over all people to do that?

is this what everyone wants?
that's the progressive dream

-Imp

prof
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by prof » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:13 am

Impenitent wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 pm
osgart wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm
so if someone doesn't produce a beneficial result to society they should be eliminated?

who is playing God over all people to do that?

is this what everyone wants?
that's the progressive dream

-Imp
Hi, Imp

You are using the word "progressive" in a strange way that doesn't communicate, at least to me. How do you define this word? What progressive that you have met wants to eliminate people? Most progressives - at least quite a few - that I have encountered, want to eliminate Capital Punishment and get rid of war.

Ask that progressive you have in mind to show you how violence will benefit society. He can't; since violence always begets more violence or more chaos.

Impenitent
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by Impenitent » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:27 am

prof wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:13 am
Impenitent wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 pm
osgart wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm
so if someone doesn't produce a beneficial result to society they should be eliminated?

who is playing God over all people to do that?

is this what everyone wants?
that's the progressive dream

-Imp
Hi, Imp

You are using the word "progressive" in a strange way that doesn't communicate, at least to me. How do you define this word? What progressive that you have met wants to eliminate people? Most progressives - at least quite a few - that I have encountered, want to eliminate Capital Punishment and get rid of war.

Ask that progressive you have in mind to show you how violence will benefit society. He can't; since violence always begets more violence or more chaos.
american "liberal" democrats are progressives

purges are popular with leftists

-Imp

prof
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by prof » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:32 am

.

If you say so...
.

How do you label yourself, imp? What are you?

.

By definition, a "Progressive" believes in progress. How does a purge make for progress? If we were to purge from this site those who sling generalities around, and who "paint with a broad brush" as they label large groups of people, would this site be improved??

Impenitent
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by Impenitent » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm

prof wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:32 am
.

If you say so...
.

How do you label yourself, imp? What are you?

.

By definition, a "Progressive" believes in progress. How does a purge make for progress? If we were to purge from this site those who sling generalities around, and who "paint with a broad brush" as they label large groups of people, would this site be improved??
no, not if I say so...

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/05/465671983 ... -to-be-one

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-sir ... _9140.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressi ... ive_Caucus

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/17/maga ... -thou.html


I'm an anarchist.

how does a purge make for progress? ask stalin

your idea of "progress" is suspect

-Imp

uwot
Posts: 2987
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by uwot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Impenitent wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm
I'm an anarchist.
Really? What sort?

Impenitent
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by Impenitent » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:31 pm

uwot wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:18 pm
Impenitent wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm
I'm an anarchist.
Really? What sort?
Mr Lydon is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmWs6Jf5dc

probably existentialist...

-Imp

prof
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by prof » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:58 pm

imp writes:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-sir ... _9140.html


I'm an anarchist.

how does a purge make for progress? ask stalin
Is that your idea of "progress," imp :?: :!: :!:

-Imp
Imp refers us to an editorial by David Sirota who writes:

To put it in more concrete terms - a liberal solution to some of our current problems with high energy costs would be to increase funding for programs like the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). A more “progressive” solution would be to increase LIHEAP but also crack down on price gouging and pass laws better-regulating the oil industry’s profiteering and market manipulation tactics. A liberal policy towards prescription drugs is one that would throw a lot of taxpayer cash at the pharmaceutical industry to get them to provide medicine to the poor; A progressive prescription drug policy would be one that centered around price regulations and bulk purchasing in order to force down the actual cost of medicine in America (much of which was originally developed with taxpayer R&D money).
Go to the videos on youtube of the Binzagr Institute for Sustainable Prosperity - http://www.binzagr-institute.org/ - where they explain that the government does not need tax money in order to spend on its projects; it can simply continue to create money out of thin air - as it always has been doing - as long as there are jobs created by it to get wages to change hands thereby producing a multiplier effect which prospers an economy.

"For every bit of government debt there are corresponding private-econmy assets (in the hands of those to whom the debt is owed.) Who cares if a budget is balanced if the economy is failing and dysfunctional? Who cares how large the govt. deficit is - if the economy is prospering and serving well all of its citizens?"

We need urgently now to have as many jobs as there are people willing and able to work. It is the lack of job opportunities that keeps our nation's suffering - for then there are only "90 bones for 100 dogs," and no amount of training and education [for the unemplyed labor force] will solve the problem.

Until we provide the jobs opportunities, it appears that redistribution is a solution; but it is not a solution. Opportunity to advance is the true solution.

Check out the concept for applied ethics known as: Modern Monetary Theory.

Roosevelt set up lthe CCC and the WPA, and other such agencies, all of which did an enormous amount of good in enhancing human dignity and well-being ...which is what I suppose Ethical Theory should care about.

Be sure to see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bill_of_Rights

When these seven points in that Bill of Rights are implemented, especially the first one, the USA will then have a healthy economy.

Comments?

Impenitent
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by Impenitent » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:08 am

prof wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Comments?
keep your hands out of my pockets

-Imp

prof
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Whose Life has Value?

Post by prof » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 am

Check out this book reference:

http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/HOW%20 ... SFULLY.pdf

Let us know if reading it was a worthwhile experience. Was anything new learned? Was it helpful in understanding and comprehending Ethics? Do more data points and/or more concepts from Ethical Theory fall into place now that this framework is available?

I believe that eventually the unselfish people will triumph; and the number of selfish individuals will diminish, due to improved educational methods and techniques that will filter down to the high-school calssroom supplemented by YouTube, etc. And due to your help to spread the word about the Science of the Moral Sense (=Ethics.)

Your impressions? Your views?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests