What Surprised Him Most About Humanity...

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

What Surprised Him Most About Humanity...

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

uwot

Re: What Surprised Him Most About Humanity...

Post by uwot »

So what does the Dalai Lama do that is living, that the rest of us don't do?
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

He by which I mean the Dalai Lama has reached Nirvana, the perfect state of being through the extension of the soul, achieved by throwing off the chains of desire that bind. When he dies he wont face the wheel of fate ie be reborn as is the karma of those who struggle against their desires, which is somewhat ironic since he always is reborn. It's probably wise not to question an off shoot of Buddhism that does not really reflect more orthodox Buddhism and has gotten mixed up with other religions so that in the same way as Islam is not Judaism, it's got a little confused, and then leave it at that. Making sense out of any religion, is not going to be a happy path even if you are The Dalai Lama mayhaps..?

Suffice to say the purpose of Buddhism is to achieve a state of bliss that forgoes the need to be reincarnated such a state entitles you to finally pass on to the after life, what that is in the religion is undefined but it is a freedom from fate or karma the wheel and the ties that bind. Tibetan Buddhism is not the same as the more orthodox Buddhism, it creates confusion when you muddy the tenets of the orthodoxy. I wouldn't got there. I am sure the DL could explain why he is always reborn despite him being an enlightened soul from time immemorial who should of won freedom from the Earthly trials, and it probably makes sense, but I am funked if know how. That's religion for you. Might be worth asking Buddha he would know... ah no wait he er passed on...
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I wonder if he's a hypocrite like every other religious nut.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I have a lot of respect for the Things the Dalai Lama does, he seems like a pretty genuine bloke, traveling around being an Ambassador for peace and good will, just trying to free his country from Chinese tyranny. I think he's a pretty nice bloke as it goes. Religion though is a mess, even Buddhism a religion with no Gods and no after life has been changed into something it is not. I think religion is the culprit, the players are merely stooges in a cycle of culprits. Buddha says this, Buddhism says that 500 years later, it's all sieved through the consciousness of assholes.

If there was a religion that said we should all live in peace, be tolerant, and not judge others, we would come to heaven by love, you could be damn sure 500 years later it would be one of intolerance war and injustice, 500 years after that it would probably get mixed up with politics and launch war across the globe in it's name, utterly forsaking all the founder had prohesied. Oh now wait that actual shit fucking happened. Forget I said anything. ;)

Religion it has a simple message, give it to idiots though, it has only one, I am going to kill you, for no other reason than you don't believe what I do, and when you die, screaming in pain, and beg for mercy, I am going to tell you that you could of had it, if only you would of just bowed down before our faith, given us all you resources and political power and trade routes, and then just died like the iniquitous dogs your are. :P
prof

Post by prof »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I wonder if he's a hypocrite like every other religious nut.
According to Jonathan Haidt, a prominent Moral Psychologist, we are all hypocrites, whether religious or not. And I'm inclined to agree with him on that, in the sense that we all tend to give in to short-term desire, to temptation, rather than hold out for long-term well-being. The ultimate purpose of Ethics, as you know, is to provide a Quality Life for one, and for all.

To learn more about Moral Psychology see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_psychology

If Bill just gave the quotation in the o.p. anonymously, and did not attribute it to the Dalai Lama, but said merely that it came from a 'very wise man', would you agree with the content of the quote? I know I would.

Thank you, Bill, for a profound contribution!!!!