A abortion thought experiment based on the The Twilight Zone episode: Button, Buttonhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-N4fs2yolEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcbP-625
Orginal episode saw you push a button get $200000 and someone would die; I'd like to run through some variations on the above to see where our intuitions would take us. I've been thinking of a longer version but will try to cut it down to size & this is more about consistency than who is right or wrong. It is also a work in progress. Plus if you cannot get into the spirit of a Twilight Zone thought experiment pls don't nit pick.
1. Say you push the button once a day and get $1000 but a person would die. Is that morally permissible? Y/N
2. You push the button you get the money with a random chance 1-100% chance some person will die? Y/N
3. Is even 1% fixed ever ok? Y/N
I think maybe most will say no even at 1%. If not at 1% it would seem even worse if say we fix at 15% which for the sake of argument will be picked as the chance a woman could get pregnant each time she has sex. So 2. is now set at 15%
4. 2.+ What if it only occurred to a specific race, sex, sexual preference, nationality, IQ, income etc Y/N
5. 2.+ What if the person had no social ties/family? Y/N
6. 2.+ The person was created out of nothing with no memories or social ties or current desires to exist and would then live or die depending on the 15% chance? Y/N
7. 2.+ Instead of a human person, a non person human picked randomly from non viable foetus, baby, infant, adult with severe a Alzheimers would have a chance to die? Y/N
7a. 2+ The non human person picked randomly was from either 4. 5. or 6. ? Y/N
8. 2.+ Was restricted to a wanted non viable foetus & put in an artificial womb but you have to switch off the machine to get the money? Y/N
8a. 2.+ The foetus in the artificial womb was picked randomly from either 4. 5. or 6 with no social ties, but you have to switch off the machine to get the money? Y/N
Now instead of the 15% chance of dieing rather there is a 15% chance a random individual will be tranformed into a foetus(and upon birth revert to orginal form)- if not already - and end up in a artifcial womb inside the male button pusher or into a real womb if a woman. Birth by Caesarean if male. Males can have keyhole abortions.
The main factor we'd be interested in is whether one would push the button and then have an abortion or switch off the machine to get the money. Y/N
9. 2.+ A human person or non person, either created or established individual, will now -depending on the 15%- appear in a non attached artificial womb. Y/N
9a. 2.+ the indiviudal selected was randomly picked from either 4. 5. or 6. or 7? Y/N
9b. 2.+ the indiviudal selected was restricted to a created or established wanted non viable foetus ? Y/N
9c. 2.+ the indiviudal selected was restricted to a created or established unwanted non viable foetus ? Y/N
10. 2.+ A human non person, either created or established individual, will now -depending on the 15%- either appear in a real or artificial womb in the button pusher.
10a. 2.+ the indiviudal selected was randomly picked from either 4. 5. or 6. ? Y/N
10b. 2.+ the indiviudal selected was restricted to a created or established wanted non viable foetus ? Y/N
10c. 2.+ the indiviudal selected was restricted to a created or established unwanted non viable foetus ? Y/Nhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jCQDVkMY_o