A proposed solution to a widespread social uneasines

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

A proposed solution to a widespread social uneasines

Post by prof »

The topic of these reflections is Applied Ethics. Today there is in the U.S.A. and maybe even in Europe a malaise, a nervousness. People feel off-balance. The power elite, instead of offering competent leadership, contribute to keeping the citizens in a condition of confusion and apprehension that things can only get worse.

Some satirists refer to the chief executive as Don-the-Con. Others call him Trump-the-Chump. Whatever the appellation, the general view is that he is not doing a competent job of uniting the country and providing wise leadership. And it is a fact that nearly everyone lives by mythology of some kind: we have at least one belief that is not supported by firm evidence.

The mythologies we, at present, live by, do not compute. They make for division, confusion and chaos. Examples of such counterproductive myths are belief in ghosts, angels, aliens, and in personal life-after-death. Some mythologies people hold serve as individual guidelines, such as “do what you feel like doing; just follow your impulses”; “anything goes”; “might makes right,” “everyone is selfish,” etc.

What might be the solution? It has been proposed that a super-computer be programmed to discard incompatible ideas; It would focus on non-contradictory compatible concepts that all humans can unite around. Such a self-learning artificial-intelligence computer could offer a practical solution to the prevailing social anxiety. It would find behaviors that are compatible with human well-being. The goal of it program is the thriving of the human family and of its individual members. It would seek out unity within diversity.

It would explain in a very logical manner why we need an ‘Economy for the Common-Good,’ one in which everyone wins; that is to say, everyone has a decent minimum level of comfort. As the economy gets stronger due to productivity rising, the level of the safety-net - the basic security grant - can also rise. Hence, at frequent intervals the level may get adjusted.

For further ideas on what to program into the self-learning supercomputer, see: Ethics As Science
http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ETHICS ... CIENCE.pdf

and see its more-recent sequel:

HOW TO LIVE SUCCESSFULLY: New knowledge in human relations (2017) - the Kindle edition:
https://www.amazon.com/LIVING-SUCCESSFU ... B01NBKS42C

An earlier edition is here: LIVING SUCCESSFULLY: How the new science of Ethics will benefit you
http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/HOW%20 ... SFULLY.pdf
Comments? Critiques? Questions? Improvements?
CheshireDream

Re: A proposed solution to a widespread social uneasines

Post by CheshireDream »

I think the answer to wide spread social malais is to globally have a greater emphasis on education and truth founded with scientific backing. It's important to teach people to be critical thinkers and how to develop the skills to discern facts from opinions and lies. And equally important for people to learn open mindedness and develop a propensity for new ideas and information, and through these revenues they can arm themselves with knowledge and confidence~ the keys to making successful experiences~ and with that, also carry with them a desire to also elevate those around them to these standards... They wouldn't need to be told what to do, because through their persuit of understanding the world and those around them, they would in fact better understand themselves and see themselves (and others) as being just one small part in very large thing that needs to all be working together to end up in a viable state.
Being told what to believe does not provide piece of mind, no matter how right those commands might be. So, I reiterate- education and critical thinking are our greatest proponents to relieving social anxieties. (Sadly, I have to say religion- not all, but of most varieties- may be at the heart of these shortcomings)
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

How exactly do 'angels, aliens, and in personal life-after-death' make life any worse? Because they do not withstand your god-like analysis? Because they are irrational because they are unfalsifiable to you? I think life after death is a great concept and I believe in it myself. Angels are also awesome. I've had first-hand experience with aliens. Usually people believe because they have been given reason to, such as through Gnosis.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

prof wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:36 amThe topic of these reflections is Applied Ethics. Today there is in the U.S.A. and maybe even in Europe a malaise, a nervousness. People feel off-balance. The power elite, instead of offering competent leadership, contribute to keeping the citizens in a condition of confusion and apprehension that things can only get worse.

Some satirists refer to the chief executive as Don-the-Con. Others call him Trump-the-Chump. Whatever the appellation, the general view is that he is not doing a competent job of uniting the country and providing wise leadership. And it is a fact that nearly everyone lives by mythology of some kind: we have at least one belief that is not supported by firm evidence.
Speaking for yourself I reckon? I support Trump, he enjoys enormous support. Indeed the tide is turning globally, no doubt the politically correct are starting feel a bit ill at ease realizing their delusional world view is becoming viewed as a farce. I'm celebrating that the world is righting itself after a long period of sickness. I feel proud and strong!
The mythologies we, at present, live by, do not compute. They make for division, confusion and chaos. Examples of such counterproductive myths are belief in ghosts, angels, aliens, and in personal life-after-death. Some mythologies people hold serve as individual guidelines, such as “do what you feel like doing; just follow your impulses”; “anything goes”; “might makes right,” “everyone is selfish,” etc.
The mythology not mentioned which these uneasy sorts of people are deep in is this one: https://www.minds.com/newsfeed/745078923930378240
What might be the solution? It has been proposed that a super-computer be programmed to discard incompatible ideas; It would focus on non-contradictory compatible concepts that all humans can unite around. Such a self-learning artificial-intelligence computer could offer a practical solution to the prevailing social anxiety. It would find behaviors that are compatible with human well-being. The goal of it program is the thriving of the human family and of its individual members.
So a computer to tell everyone what to do? That'll be great for the beta leftist cucks I guess. I'll stick with existential freedom myself.
It would seek out unity within diversity.
Oh, of course it would. :roll:

It would explain in a very logical manner why we need an ‘Economy for the Common-Good,’ one in which everyone wins[/quote]
I guess a loser would like to start having it that way.
prof

Post by prof »

I have been doing research in ethics for over 50 years, and have become acquainted with many ethical theories, concepts and principles.

In the past two years Donald Trump has (in one way or another) violated every single one of them :!:

Many thinking people regard him as the 'most dangerous man in America.' One reason for this evaluation is that he engaged in an insult match [known in some circles as "playing the dozens"] with a man who is considered rather unstable, namely the head of North Korea.

Do you think it is wise to swap threats with the "supreme leader" of North Korea?

In the year since he has been in office, how has President Trump helped you in any concrete way? {Confirmation of an existing prejudice does not count here.}

He is a Climate-Change denier, thus accelerating the release from the oceans of methane gas into the atmosphere, causing sea levels to rise; and hurricanes to become more severe thus causing more expensive damage and loss.. [For specific evidence see the recent book Goodbye to Ice - about the effect of human carbon emissions upon the melting of the icecaps in Greenland.]

He has eviscerated the Environmental Protection Agency thus - due to the removal of regualtions against it - spreading more pollutants, and hurting health in general by these means. Nixon did us all a favor by setting up that agency.

Trump put in charge of many government departments someone who tends to destroy that department {The fox in charge of the hen-house syndrome.}

He appointed to the Supreme Court someone who's record shows that in any dispute he will always find in favor of corporations rather than in favor of the little guy, or the common people.

Etc., etc.
If I had time I could present a long list of damage already caused by this administration ...such as restricting access to the ballot, the right to vote.

What say you?
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

prof wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:09 pmhow has President Trump helped you in any concrete way?[/b]
Trump is moving to maintain the productive middle class, something upon which a free democracy depends. And he is attempting to maintain the ethnic makeup of the society; which is in fact to say the same thing, since democracy is a Western value.
He is a Climate-Change denier
Unfortunately Trump is wrong on this point. Nature should be a central value of any authentic rightism.

(Better you use the quote function so people get a notification of reply.)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

prof wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:09 pm...
Prof, I think the idea of utilizing a computer to analyze options and present solutions is a very interesting idea. Humans are so easily thrown off-balance by their emotions and egos -- and we currently seem to be in such an overwhelmed and distorted state much of the time, due to all of the noise -- so it would be a tremendous help to have some CLEAR quality data to act upon. Such a resource would not mean that we couldn't maintain our freedom -- rather, it would simply provide advance information about risks, pitfalls, confusion, and destruction on currently chosen paths. People could still choose what they wanted -- they just couldn't pretend not to know the implications. And I'm guessing that most people would want to choose the paths of greatest gain and least resistance. Why not?

Yes, such a computer would have prevented the election of Trump... and many other ignorant paths that have been taken. Government would have to stop lying and playing self-serving games, because the computer would IDENTIFY THE TRUTH!!! :-)
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 amYes, such a computer would have prevented the election of Trump... and many other ignorant paths that have been taken. Government would have to stop lying and playing self-serving games, because the computer would IDENTIFY THE TRUTH!!! :-)
All watched over by machines of loving grace...

https://youtu.be/VJrqhYpgykk
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Seleucus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:46 am All watched over by machines of loving grace...
Perhaps someone here will be impressed or interested in what you have to say, or might open the links you post. I’m not one of them. You have shown that you are incapable of comprehending what other people are talking about if it doesn’t support or fit within your small concept of reality, so then you ignorantly project your small-minded made-up shit at them. Completely idiotic and dishonorable. And yet you seem so proud of yourself. :lol: :lol:

Sorry, not interested.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 am
Seleucus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:46 am All watched over by machines of loving grace...
Perhaps someone here will be impressed or interested in what you have to say, or might open the links you post. I’m not one of them. You have shown that you are incapable of comprehending what other people are talking about if it doesn’t support or fit within your small concept of reality, so then you ignorantly project your small-minded made-up shit at them. Completely idiotic and dishonorable. And yet you seem so proud of yourself. :lol: :lol:

Sorry, not interested.
Oh, another leftist with Ostrich Syndrome,

http://liberal.politifake.org/image/pol ... 351743.jpg
prof

Post by prof »

prof wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:36 am

What might be the solution? It has been proposed that a super-computer be programmed to discard incompatible ideas

The goal of it program is the thriving of the human family and of its individual members. It would seek out unity within diversity.

It would explain in a very logical manner why we need an ‘Economy for the Common-Good,’ one in which everyone wins; that is to say, everyone has a decent minimum level of comfort. As the economy gets stronger due to productivity rising, the level of the safety-net - the basic security grant - can also rise. Hence, at frequent intervals the level may get adjusted.

You will want to see how a website has been established to explore the ideas further: Do check out https://www.ecogood.org/en/vision/400-bc/

Also see: LIVING SUCCESSFULLY: How the new science of Ethics will benefit you
http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/HOW%20 ... SFULLY.pdf
Comments? Critiques? Questions? Improvements?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Viveka wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:06 am How exactly do 'angels, aliens, and in personal life-after-death' make life any worse? Because they do not withstand your god-like analysis? Because they are irrational because they are unfalsifiable to you? I think life after death is a great concept and I believe in it myself. Angels are also awesome. I've had first-hand experience with aliens. Usually people believe because they have been given reason to, such as through Gnosis.
I second her opinion on experiential grounds.

The computer system would not work because of dealing with infinite variables as the human condition is one reflecting infinity. To remove mankinds heart is to kill man himself.

The computer could not provide a proper median of balance as it cannot comprehend Pi conceptually or qualitatively. Quantity exists if and only if there Quality, and the computer inability to determine quality would be a contradiction.

Contradiction is a deficiency in completion nothing more and the computer cannot create anything except through an algorithm which in itself lack a causal element of free choice.
Walker

Post by Walker »

prof wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:09 pm What say you?
President Trump is unethical by no standard other than personal fantasies of the way things should be.

President Trump’s recent speech to the world from S. Korea is excellent material for a true student of ethical principles. For example, here’s a profound ethical statement on the nature of relationship:

“We will defend our common security, our shared prosperity, and our sacred liberty. We did not choose to draw here on this peninsula — this magnificent peninsula — the thin line of civilization that runs around the world and down through time. But here it was drawn, and here it remains to this day.

“It is the line between peace and war, between decency and depravity, between law and tyranny, between hope and total despair. It is a line that has been drawn many times in many places throughout history. To hold that line is a choice free nations have always had to make.”
- POTUS Trump, 2017

The rest of the speech is also worth reading, and easy to find. Basically, it's a statement of power as peace.

So far for the world, President Trump is a good friend and neighbor. He goes to the friend’s house (S. Korea), gives his friend the honor of hosting, and proclaims to the world that he will protect his friend. His only pre-emptive weapon against the enemies of his friend is threats, so he forms the threats as historical inevitability and thus, principle. He’s an old school, face-to-face power monger. Like the Godfather, wielding power with true words rather than irrationality, on a stage only a few can truly understand. He’s recognizing the situation for what it is and not appeasing the bad haircut, and just look at what appeasing the tyrannical dynasty has done for humanity … misery for innocent citizens and a fat kid of a tyrant with powers of mass destruction and delusions of divinity. Unethical it would be to continue indulging the piggish evil against folks who are just trying to find something to eat.

What’s not clear is the basis of finding fault with POTUS. Given the lack of evidence, it appears that criticism is rooted in a holier-than-thou ideal rather than reality, before and after the election. His true political opponent was unicorns.

Apparently Trump derangement syndrome (TDS) causes a loss of peaceful volition in addition to jettisoning fact-based rationality, which is likely why a rich and supposedly educated man recently committed the federal crime of putting a US senator in the hospital. TDS could also be why the violent assaulter only had to pay a low bail for the unleashed freedom to continue transforming fantasies into violent acts.

By the bastardized phrase "climate change," aka "global warming," aka "global cooling" … is the meaning of this phrase supposed to be that the activities of mankind have set off a purported chain reaction of events that will lead to an uninhabitable planet, and that this causal chain is irreversible? Or, does it mean that the causal chain caused by mankind’s activities is in fact reversible, and if so, how? In other words, exactly what is it that President Trump is supposed to be denying, other than some code word for virtue signaling?

Why say you to these burning questions?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

I heard, in a magazine, that trump wages a war against Rural White America. True or false?
prof

Post by prof »

Walker wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 pm
President Trump is unethical ... like the Godfather. ...[the Mafia Godfather]

... Trump derangement... causes a loss ...

... "climate change,"... the activities of mankind have set off a ...chain reaction of events that will lead to an uninhabitable planet; ... the causal chain caused by mankind’s activities is in fact reversible...how?

Why say you to these burning questions?
Several companies are now extracting CO2 out of the atmosphere and putting it into big tanks, or into underground chambers.
To contribute toward a solution, we could stop chopping down the trees; instead initiate a massive project to plant more trees.

These are some ways we may be able to decrease the CO2 which has already seriously melted the polar ice caps.

See the scientific evidence given in this book, FAREWELL TO ICE: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WWP78J/re ... TF8&btkr=1

Also see: https://www.amazon.com/Climate-Change-W ... ST1BWG2FZE

Comments?