Moderation as the Universal Morality

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eodnhoj7

Moderation as the Universal Morality

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

What is morality but a median point?

We observe universally and intuitively the symmetry between morality and moderation:

- “A man shouldn't hold onto the cup but drink in moderation” (Oden/Norse paganism)

- “the end we are seeking is what we have been doing” (burger, nichomachean ethics)

- Similiarities to Aristotle’s Nichomachean Ethics and the doctrine of a golden mean.[33]

- Aristotelian concept of virtue requiring both contemplative (abstract) and moral (physical) properties [14]

- Schopenhauer: "For safeguarding the lives of citizens…capital punishment is therefore absolutely necessary"[53] "The murderer…who is condemned to death according to the law must, it is true, be now used as a mere means, and with complete right. For public security, which is the principal object of the State, is disturbed by him; indeed it is abolished if the law remains unfulfilled. The murderer, his life, his person, must be the means of fulfilling the law, and thus of re-establishing public security."[54] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Schopenhauer

- The median of Man and Nature within Taoism [60] expressed through the Temple of the Golden Measure in Baoji, Shaanxi (quote)

- Identity and harmony organized through virtue [115] (Taoism)

- Anaximander’s observation of anything that loses it’s symmetry with nature eventually ceases. (anaximander wiki?)

- "But the impious Soul abideth in its own offence, punished of itself, and seeking an earthly and humane body to enter into." Trismegistus http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/pym/pym05.htm

- "Gravitation, which is a law in the material world, is the impulse toward the center of materiality; levitation, which is a law in the spiritual world, is the impulse toward the center of spirituality." (http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta21.htm)

- "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows."
http://biblehub.com/galatians/6-7.htm

- “The constellation of the Scales was placed in the zodiac to symbolize the power of choice, by means of which man may weigh one problem against another.” (The Zodiac, insert sacred Texts)

- - The concept of moderation in Islam: http://www.quranreading.com/blog/the-co ... -in-islam/

- "Aztec philosophers focused on morality as establishing balance. The world was seen as constantly shifting with the ever-changing teotl. Morality focused on finding the path to living a balanced life, which would provide stability in the shifting world.[2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_philosophy

- “Indian Thinking” is “seeing” things from a perspective emphasiz-ing that circles and cycles are central to the world and that all
things are related within the universe. . . . “Seeing” is visualizing the connection between two or more entities or beings, and trying
to understand the relationship between them. (1–2)

"There is another very curious and interesting fact in Indian philosophy. They do not separate man from the beast by any
broad line of demarkation [sic]. Mankind is supposed simply to be one of the many races of animals; in some respects superior, in many others inferior, to those races. So the Indian speaks of “our race” as of the same rank with the bear race, the wolf race or the rattlesnake race. (10) (http://sunypress.edu/pdf/62007.pdf)

- "Man is the measure of all things" Protagoras

- too be continued.
Lacewing

Re: Moderation as the Universal Morality

Post by Lacewing »

LOVE it!! Makes perfect sense to me.

People who aspire to extreme and separatist righteousness are creating boundaries and opposites to fight against, rather than accepting the vast range of creative potential/possibilities as something to appreciate, respect, and happily navigate within.

People who see only evil are creating and nurturing that world for themselves -- feeding it like their own pet beast.

It's the difference between floating in our own little self-made pond -- no waves, same landscape forever -- or exploring an ocean. And that requires constant balancing and moderation. :) How we treat all others is affected by whether we're extreme and limited or moderate and expanded.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:57 pm LOVE it!! Makes perfect sense to me.

People who aspire to extreme and separatist righteousness are creating boundaries and opposites to fight against, rather than accepting the vast range of creative potential/possibilities as something to appreciate, respect, and happily navigate within.

Exactly. Take for instance the Christian (or muslim) who calls the other a "demon" worshipper. Regardless of the degree of truth (and it is very low) what one side does for the "sake of unity" is cause a dividing line through which any form of dialogue is interrupted.

People who see only evil are creating and nurturing that world for themselves -- feeding it like their own pet beast.

Yes...we form the demons which kill us.

It's the difference between floating in our own little self-made pond -- no waves, same landscape forever -- or exploring an ocean. And that requires constant balancing and moderation. :) How we treat all others is affected by whether we're extreme and limited or moderate and expanded.

Yes, and vice versa. The thing of it is, and all people forget this, is the simple fact of "moderation" is the pin point of reason which makes us all equal before the creator. It is the one moral point which unifies all of us as both equal and "God-like" for it is reason in its fullest sense of intellect, spirit, and body.
The thing of it is, and I want to expand the list further when I have the time (and make it more presentable), is that this is "universal". Any time we see the rise of one religion over another what we are seeing is one religion who lost this "moderate" aspect of itself being replace by a religion which keeps it.

Who is to argue against reason being the foundation for religion? Even the root word for "religion" is "religio" (latin I think) which loosely translates "to bind again that which has been unbound". It implies something deeper or truer existed prior to religion...or at least how we perceive it today.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm "moderation" is the pin point of reason which makes us all equal before the creator. It is the one moral point which unifies all of us as both equal and "God-like" for it is reason in its fullest sense of intellect, spirit, and body.
I really like the image that description creates. When everyone and everything is balanced on that point between pros and cons and judgements, it's ALL THE SAME.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm Any time we see the rise of one religion over another what we are seeing is one religion who lost this "moderate" aspect of itself
Yes! The way I see it... tipping off of the point at which all is unified and perfect, is where things become manmade creations to serve agendas.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm Who is to argue against reason being the foundation for religion? Even the root word for "religion" is "religio" (latin I think) which loosely translates "to bind again that which has been unbound". It implies something deeper or truer existed prior to religion...or at least how we perceive it today.
Well, that's a loaded question. :) Regardless of how it started out, religion has evolved its own brand of reasoning based on control and self-preservation. It's difficult to claim that reason is the foundation for religion, when today's religion has so little in common with ancient practices of unity and reverence. Foundations can be rebuilt so many times.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:08 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm "moderation" is the pin point of reason which makes us all equal before the creator. It is the one moral point which unifies all of us as both equal and "God-like" for it is reason in its fullest sense of intellect, spirit, and body.
I really like the image that description creates. When everyone and everything is balanced on that point between pros and cons and judgements, it's ALL THE SAME.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm Any time we see the rise of one religion over another what we are seeing is one religion who lost this "moderate" aspect of itself
Yes! The way I see it... tipping off of the point at which all is unified and perfect, is where things become manmade creations to serve agendas.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm Who is to argue against reason being the foundation for religion? Even the root word for "religion" is "religio" (latin I think) which loosely translates "to bind again that which has been unbound". It implies something deeper or truer existed prior to religion...or at least how we perceive it today.
Well, that's a loaded question. :) Regardless of how it started out, religion has evolved its own brand of reasoning based on control and self-preservation. It's difficult to claim that reason is the foundation for religion, when today's religion has so little in common with ancient practices of unity and reverence.

Ancient religion use to have a harmony between man and nature and man and God(s). Today it is striclty an extension of relativism, loud rock music, and thinly veiled homo-eroticism in regards to Christianity. As to all the others, they are becoming westernized.

Foundations can be rebuilt so many times.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

striving for mediocrity ...

-Imp
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 am striving for mediocrity ...

-Imp
That is putting things to an extreme.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Moderation lends absolutely nothing whatsoever to morality, whilst empathy absolutely everything. Moderation here is the wrong application of this term - There need only be heightened morality in being seen, in loving more, in speaking the truth, taking it one knows how to do so, in giving in greater abundance. This term is not even applicable to that which is bad, for to speak in terms of moderation/immoderation in being bad is a profound nonsense. Moderation is universal programming, this much is true, but to take it on board as the place of morality we`d surely first require to be brain washed too.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:37 pm Moderation lends absolutely nothing whatsoever to morality, whilst empathy absolutely everything.

Empathy is not finding a median between someone else's experiences/feelings and your own?

Moderation here is the wrong application of this term - There need only be heightened morality in being seen, in loving more, in speaking the truth, taking it one knows how to do so, in giving in greater abundance. This term is not even applicable to that which is bad, for to speak in terms of moderation/immoderation in being bad is a profound nonsense.

If we look at the nature of morality, as a way of "being", with either extreme resulting in a deficiency, moderation enables a building of oneself through an act of structuring through centering.

Take for example the law "thou shalt not steal".

The law is a median point between the nature of properties rights between oneself and their neighbor.
Can you have property? Yes.
Can your neighbor have property? Yes.
Can you choose to possess nothing? Yes.
Can your Neighbor choose to possess nothing? Yes.
Can you choose to give your neighbor a gift? Yes.
Can your neighbor choose to give you a gift? Yes.

In these respects, "thou shalt not steal", acts a medial point over the nature of properties rights and the respect for you neighbors boundaries. It is in this respect of application of boundaries, that we establish median points that enable us to connect with our neighbor while simultaneously maintaining a form of individuality.

Moderation is universal programming, this much is true, but to take it on board as the place of morality we`d surely first require to be brain washed too.

It is not "replacing" morality by any means at all, it is inherent within morality as a common thread.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Empathy is not finding a median because it`s not a half way house, empathy goes all of the way, and in this regard moderation may not be that which is called for. Philosophy, the process, is not/should not be a battle of mere words, rather a search for that which genuinely, and on occasion outside the scope of current perception, actually is. I am reasonably comfortable still at this time with the contribution which I`ve already provided.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:05 pm Empathy is not finding a median because it`s not a half way house, empathy goes all of the way, and in this regard moderation may not be that which is called for.
All the way in what regards specifically? If I am empathetic towards someone, I experience/sense what they feel in much the same manner (as to what is possible) they do. I am still "me". They are still "them". However a common median of experience is observe.

Philosophy, the process, is not/should not be a battle of mere words, rather a search for that which genuinely, and on occasion outside the scope of current perception, actually is.
Words form reality, if you don't believe that then look in to the majority of religions.

I am reasonably comfortable still at this time with the contribution which I`ve already provided.
This is a conversation of words, that has no value according to you...what contribution?