Legislating Human Decency

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: Legislating Human Decency

Post by Impenitent »

artisticsolution wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 pm
Impenitent wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 am
artisticsolution wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Not looking for a cure, Imp. Just a basic general guideline of humanity...a suggestion even?

Speed zones are the law as a guideline...people still speed of course...and usually not jailed. Just a warning or ticket...no biggie. But we all know speeding is wrong.

I think people maybe are too stupid to know not to kick someone when they're down? I dunno...a law might be just the thing they need to remind them.
the golden rule as a general guideline (do unto others) ...

although the other golden rule (he who has the gold...) will probably take presidence...

that being the case, gird your loins

-Imp
I'm surprised to hear such a defeatist tone coming from you, Imp.

I'd rather fight for what is right , instead of cowering when wrong comes at me.

To me there is no difference between a mean thug or a mean rich person.

I'm not going to bend over and take it just because someone is dressed nice.

Btw, Arising....if you're reading this....this is what I mean when I talk about people being influenced by aesthetics. Most people will like/buy anything if it's wrapped nicely.
nothing defeatist about it...

fight for your opinion, but understand that everyone else is fighting for theirs.

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 pm
nothing defeatist about it...

fight for your opinion, but understand that everyone else is fighting for theirs.

-Imp
Not everyone has developed the capacity for intellectual detachment, and this affects discussions so that in the hearing, a presentation of either the affirmative or the negative of a concept becomes inextricably linked with belief.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 am While you’re at it, pass legislation to abolish suffering.

Also, legislate world peace.

I think that would be nice.

If you disagree with this proposal, you obviously want people to suffer, and you want war.
There is no worse suffering than being forced to make peace with your enemy. And there is beauty to combat.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 am While you’re at it, pass legislation to abolish suffering.

If you disagree with this proposal, you obviously want people to suffer, and you want war.
There is no worse suffering than being forced to make peace with your enemy. And there is beauty to combat.
Not for me...and i suspect not for you too if it harms your personal world.

Anyway, those who do not care about harming humans should have no say when it comes to legislating human decency.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 pm Civilisation anonymises people.
I think there is a genuine urge to co-operate, share and contribute to the community that has evolved over a million years and more. But when societal numbers increased beyond a certain number that allowed predatory psychopaths to take advantage and slip between the cracks.
Small scale societies are generally egalitarian and tend to have strict rules on sharing and behaviour.
These days you need something else that can offer the fellow feeing that we have all evolved with to thrive.
In the USA the culture of the self (or should I say cult of the self) has pretty much crushed the feeling of community and that is just how the powers like it; a divided people is much easier to control.
You can be quite stunning at times Hobbes.
GreatandWiseTrixie

artisticsolution wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Anyway, those who do not care about harming humans should have no say when it comes to legislating human decency.
The definition of justice is harming those who ought to be harmed.
Not blindly going around making peace.

As far as legislation...most of this world's legislators have no business making any kind of legislation, let alone those involving human decency.
artisticsolution

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Last time i checked we did away with posses and lynch mobs in lieu of law and order.
GreatandWiseTrixie

artisticsolution wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:14 am

Last time i checked we did away with posses and lynch mobs in lieu of law and order.
Last time I checked America is a prison system ran by corrupt politicians.
artisticsolution

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:57 am
artisticsolution wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:14 am

Last time I checked America is a prison system ran by corrupt politicians.
Hmm..you're right...why go around blindly promoting peace when we can have politicians blanket "harm" people. They are sure to get to some who "deserve to be harmed" eventually.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
There is no worse suffering thanThere is no worse suffering than being forced to make peace with your enemy.
I can think of worse suffering. However if Trixie is referring to physical and mental enslavement I agree that " being forced to make peace with your enemy" is to suffer.
artisticsolution

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 am GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
There is no worse suffering thanThere is no worse suffering than being forced to make peace with your enemy.
I can think of worse suffering. However if Trixie is referring to physical and mental enslavement I agree that " being forced to make peace with your enemy" is to suffer.
Yes, Belinda, to be enslaved is to suffer. However, if there is suffering to be had, then I think those who suffer under the circumstance of "war" on humanity are more in clear and present danger than those who 'suffer' being forced to make peace.

In other words, to show how absurd Trixie's statement is...

If being forced to play nice is so horrible...then why have laws in place to stop murder? Isn't that enslavement as well? You are taking away another's freedom to murder those he feels he should.
GreatandWiseTrixie

artisticsolution wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:50 pm
Yes, Belinda, to be enslaved is to suffer. However, if there is suffering to be had, then I think those who suffer under the circumstance of "war" on humanity are more in clear and present danger than those who 'suffer' being forced to make peace.

If being forced to play nice is so horrible...then why have laws in place to stop murder? Isn't that enslavement as well? You are taking away another's freedom to murder those he feels he should.
If murder wasn't illegal there'd be a lot of dead assholes.
artisticsolution

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Enslave or dont enslave...make up your mind! :lol:
GreatandWiseTrixie

artisticsolution wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Whether or not I enslave or deslave is irrelevant, I have no powers over the powers that be.
artisticsolution

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 pm
artisticsolution wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Whether or not I enslave or deslave is irrelevant, I have no powers over the powers that be.
Then why flap your gums spouting your "philosophy". You started this and now you take the defeatist attitude when someone holds up a mirror to faulty logic.