Do you ever get the urge to kill something...

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Do you ever get the urge to kill?

Yes I do
47%
No I don't
53%

Total votes: 15

Philosophy Explorer

Do you ever get the urge to kill something...

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

and hold yourself back? Is it healthier (for you) to kill?

For me I never have that urge.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
thedoc

Re: Do you ever get the urge to kill something...

Post by thedoc »

I occasionally get the urge to kill but Have been able to suppress that urge, so far. It's other people, things and animals don't bother me.
Atla

Post by Atla »

I encountered true evil once.. I would probably classify it as a pure sadistic psychopath, functioning from the ancient reptilian part of the brain, wielding the neocortex as automatic human masks. Not made.. born that way.

It was definitely not human, not even an animal, it was anti-life itself.. nothing anyone can imagine who hasn't encountered it.. it's a pure and absolute desire to cause suffering, and it doesn't end

Murder is a crime against this world (and gets you into jail for decades/for life). Leaving true evil alive is also a crime against this world. Now there's the dilemma.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:55 pm and hold yourself back? Is it healthier (for you) to kill?

For me I never have that urge.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Only that which thinks it is born can kill.

If there is such a thing as the born then there has to exist the unborn in the same moment.

And since the unborn cannot be born...and the born cannot be unborn.

Who would be doing the killing and what would there be to kill?

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Yeah. The guy above with the ludicrous answers. (yes, I jest... Sigh...)
Greta

Post by Greta »

Sure I do. I vigorously defend my territory against intruders - woe betide the roach or ant trail that works its way into my home!

However, if I see those animals outside of my territory I will actively and consciously avoid stepping on them. Animals, including human ones, are much more interesting and unpredictable when alive and happy rather than dead or fearful and, if I was in their shoes (exoskeletons) I'd rather not be killed by some huge, insensate being that didn't even care enough to check their step a little.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 am Sure I do. I vigorously defend my territory against intruders - woe betide the roach or ant trail that works its way into my home!

However, if I see those animals outside of my territory I will actively and consciously avoid stepping on them. Animals, including human ones, are much more interesting and unpredictable when alive and happy rather than dead or fearful and, if I was in their shoes (exoskeletons) I'd rather not be killed by some huge, insensate being that didn't even care enough to check their step a little.
You and Jonathon Chapman have something in common.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 am
Greta wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 am Sure I do. I vigorously defend my territory against intruders - woe betide the roach or ant trail that works its way into my home!

In what way. I don't know of him.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 am

Make that John Chapman aka Johnny Appleseed. I read he would avoid stepping on an ant too.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:05 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 amYou and Jonathon Chapman have something in common.
Make that John Chapman aka Johnny Appleseed. I read he would avoid stepping on an ant too.
Ha! It's odd that avoiding stepping on ants would even be notable. One wouldn't step on the crocodile, snake, bird, dog, lizard or grasshopper, so why step on ants if it's easy to avoid? I'm not talking about eternal vigilance, obviously, but if one notices ants around it's often hardly a big deal to step around them and let them continue with whatever they are doing - which can be quite interesting to observe.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:36 pm
Ha! It's odd that avoiding stepping on ants would even be notable. One wouldn't step on the crocodile, snake, bird, dog, lizard or grasshopper, so why step on ants if it's easy to avoid? I'm not talking about eternal vigilance, obviously, but if one notices ants around it's often hardly a big deal to step around them and let them continue with whatever they are doing - which can be quite interesting to observe.
As far as crocs, snakes, dogs and lizards go, they could hurt you. With birds and grasshoppers, they can easily avoid you. Is it due to the size of an ant that some people would avoid stepping on them?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 pm

As far as crocs, snakes, dogs and lizards go, they could hurt you. With birds and grasshoppers, they can easily avoid you. Is it due to the size of an ant that some people would avoid stepping on them?
Very much so. They are considered to be too small to matter.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:57 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 pm
Very much so. They are considered to be too small to matter.
for me its the opposite.

only once as a teenager did i (it was personal) - i lacked a gun (had i had one i would be in prison for years for sure - assuming a trial/etc).

so "to kill" for me was that one time and it was personal.

not conception of killing small animals out of my sense of powerlessness, that would just be kill out of ego/powerlessness (emotional transfurance).

uncool for sure.

no, not had that wish.

i do not bugs/etc - not for decades - if i can avoid it.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

I kill bugs in my house. That's my turf! If they are slow enough, I throw them out the window though. But fast bugs die.

But I can't do the same with bigger animals. I once had to kill a sick budgerigar. I couldn't do it. So it died slowly :(

Once we had a rat infestation, and one of them survived the trap. I killed it with a shovel, but I took no pleasure in doing it.

So to answer the question: Absolutely not!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Tue May 15, 2018 5:19 pm I kill bugs in my house. That's my turf! If they are slow enough, I throw them out the window though. But fast bugs die.

But I can't do the same with bigger animals. I once had to kill a sick budgerigar. I couldn't do it. So it died slowly :(

Once we had a rat infestation, and one of them survived the trap. I killed it with a shovel, but I took no pleasure in doing it.

So to answer the question: Absolutely not!
You don't have vets where you come from?