Is there such a thing as a merciful death?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Is there such a thing as a merciful death?

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:16 pm
thedoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm A person who in executed by lethal injection usually chooses to commit the act that leads to that end, so it is voluntary.
Is there a name for this particular school of logic, Doc?
Common sense, unfortunately in your case, common sense isn't.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:06 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 pm
thedoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I believe most US executions are by lethal injection, so what are the barbaric means of execution that you are referring to?

A person who in executed by lethal injection usually chooses to commit the act that leads to that end, so it is voluntary. If it can be proven that the individual didn't choose to commit the act, lethal injection is not invoked, as the act has been ruled as an accident or involuntary manslaughter.
Only two sentences and you still manage to be confused. :roll:
Nice dodge, but I see that you don't have an answer.
Doc, the way she applies foul language shows she doesn't believe in merciful killings. And we all know about her US OCD. 🇺🇸

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I believe most US executions are by lethal injection, so what are the barbaric means of execution that you are referring to?

A person who in executed by lethal injection usually chooses to commit the act that leads to that end, so it is voluntary. If it can be proven that the individual didn't choose to commit the act, lethal injection is not invoked, as the act has been ruled as an accident or involuntary manslaughter.
'Dodged' what? What on earth is the point in arguing with you about anything? You don't even know what an argument is (or find it too taxing).
You might be in the wrong place at the wrong time one day, and find yourself lying on a gurney with tubes in your arms.
Then there is the awful irony of 'plea bargaining', where often the worst offenders escape the death penalty, while anyone who is innocent is never going to say they are guilty, meaning you are more likely to get executed if you are innocent (or poor).
And the vengeance factor. Y'all don't seem to care whether someone is guilty or innocent, as long as someone pays. How very typical of 'logic' kristian-style.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:17 pm

'Dodged' what? What on earth is the point in arguing with you about anything? You don't even know what an argument is. You might be in the wrong place at the wrong time one day, and find yourself lying on a gurney with tubes in your arms.
Then there is the awful irony of 'plea bargaining', where often the worst offenders escape the death penalty while anyone who is innocent is never going to say they are guilty so you are more likely to get executed if you are innocent (or poor).
No stats nor proof to back up what is uttered in the last paragraph. And you claim to know what an argument is? 🇺🇸

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:30 pm

'Dodged' what? What on earth is the point in arguing with you about anything? You don't even know what an argument is. You might be in the wrong place at the wrong time one day, and find yourself lying on a gurney with tubes in your arms.
Then there is the awful irony of 'plea bargaining', where often the worst offenders escape the death penalty while anyone who is innocent is never going to say they are guilty so you are more likely to get executed if you are innocent (or poor).
No stats nor proof to back up what is uttered in the last paragraph. And you claim to know what an argument is? 🇺🇸

PhilX
So you are saying that there are lots of innocent people who use plea bargains to escape death? That's so much better.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:32 pm

PhilX
So you are saying that there are lots of innocent people who use plea bargains to escape death? That's so much better.
It's their right to choose. And I would pick life over death if it came to that. What would you pick for yourself or are you going to try to dodge me on that question? 🇺🇸

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 pm

PhilX
It's their right to choose. And I would pick life over death if it came to that. What would you pick for yourself or are you going to try to dodge me on that question? 🇺🇸

PhilX
Didn't I just say, only a couple of posts back? Do you bother to read any more than the first and last word of comments? Or don't you have the stamina to read a whole sentence.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:41 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 pm

PhilX
Didn't I just say, only a couple of posts back? Do you bother to read any more than the first and last word of comments? Or don't you have the stamina to read a whole sentence.
I have the stamina to read all of your crap. And you didn't express yourself that way to agree with me two posts ago. 🇺🇸

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Oooh. It was a whole four of my posts ago. You are on an intellectual roll today. I don't think a lifetime in a tiny cubicle would bother you greatly. Boredom generally isn't a concern for the terminally intellectually challenged. You need a mind in order to be mentally tortured.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:01 pm Oooh. It was a whole four of my posts ago. You are on an intellectual roll today. I don't think a lifetime in a tiny cubicle would bother you greatly. Boredom generally isn't a concern for the terminally intellectually challenged. You need a mind in order to be mentally tortured.
That's right. My mind is stronger than yours since your mind is US OCD. Also your language is limited to ad homs and gutter-styled language. Yes VT, you do need a good mind. 🇺🇸

PhilX
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:15 pm
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:14 am Euthanasia is a medical matter between the individual and their doctor. It's no one else's business. Ethics my arse. Is there an 'ethical dilemma' when your pet is suffering? Why are we continuing to allow ourselves to be dictated to by lying religious fuck-heads. No one is forcing them to have themselves euthanised.
I understand there are some states in the US that have legalised it. Legalised marijuana, gay marriage, voluntary euthanasia. The US is coming dangerously close to resembling a civilised and enlightened place i.e. LIBERAL. There are just the matters of the death penalty, all the warmongering and blowing up of countries etc.etc. etc...
Charlie Gard wants to die...

and the gas chambers were efficient

-Imp
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.ph ... d=10005200

history never repeats

-Imp
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:32 pm So you are saying that there are lots of innocent people who use plea bargains to escape death? That's so much better.
No, there are lots of innocent people who are just let go because they have not committed a crime, when you listen to a comedian you need to remember they are saying ridiculous things just to be funny, perhaps you just don't recognize funny when you see or hear it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Impenitent wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:26 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:15 pm
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Charlie Gard wants to die...

and the gas chambers were efficient

-Imp
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.ph ... d=10005200

history never repeats

-Imp
What's your point? Are you capable of putting together an entire sentence?
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:52 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:32 pm So you are saying that there are lots of innocent people who use plea bargains to escape death? That's so much better.
No, there are lots of innocent people who are just let go because they have not committed a crime, when you listen to a comedian you need to remember they are saying ridiculous things just to be funny, perhaps you just don't recognize funny when you see or hear it.
Right. Hilarious. I'll try to remember you are a comedian.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:26 am https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.ph ... d=10005200

history never repeats

-Imp
"Whose Life Is It Anyway?"

Admittedly Ken Harrison was an adult and could speak for himself, but the principle is the same, no-one has the right to decide a person's life for them. Who gets to speak for Charlie Gard?