Is there such a thing as a merciful death?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Is there such a thing as a merciful death?

Post by commonsense »

Is euthanasia ethical, not ethical, ethical under certain circumstances or not a topic for ethics at all? What about physician-assisted suicide or a physician's role in execution by lethal injection? Do you have personal experience in this area?
Harbal

Re: Is there such a thing as a merciful death?

Post by Harbal »

commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:26 pm Do you have personal experience in this area?
Thankfully not. On the not infrequent occasions when someone has expressed a desire to kill me they have never proceeded to go through with it.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Euthanasia is entirely ethical where the one wishing to be euthanised is compos mentis and so therefore
capable of making a rational decision about wanting to die and in those scenarios it should be permitted
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:45 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:26 pm Do you have personal experience in this area?
Thankfully not. On the not infrequent occasions when someone has expressed a desire to kill me they have never proceeded to go through with it.
That means the forklift incident in the warehouse was a complete accident.

PhilX
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:23 pm That means the forklift incident in the warehouse was a complete accident.
Apparently so, the driver claimed he couldn't hear my frantic yelling because of the loud bleeping noise the truck was making.
Philosophy Explorer

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:23 pm That means the forklift incident in the warehouse was a complete accident.
Apparently so, the driver claimed he couldn't hear my frantic yelling because of the loud bleeping noise the truck was making.
I'm also assuming you weren't a would-be suicide, otherwise that incident would be disappointing to your widow (if you were married) since she would get paid double.

PhilX
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Is euthanasia ethical, not ethical, ethical under certain circumstances or not a topic for ethics at all? What about physician-assisted suicide or a physician's role in execution by lethal injection?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:51 pm I'm also assuming you weren't a would-be suicide,
No, Phil, if I was going to end it all, throwing myself under a forklift truck would not be my first choice.
otherwise that incident would be disappointing to your widow
My wife and I are no longer together but, even so, any misfortune that befell me would be far from a disappointment to her.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Harbal & Phil,

First of all, let me compliment you on your quick and effective hijacking. Your reputations are pretty good in this area: not even 1 post had been made before you took over! Someday I'll want to get some tips from you on the basics of hijacking. Right about now I'm thinking this was too easy for you. I think it would be tougher to hit a thread that has a lot of frustrated posters and some that might even try to fight back somehow. Anyway, I've never heard of anyone any better than you two, so I will just have to count this as my first lesson in hijacking. Incidentally, this was the first topic I ever posted (a source of pride for you in snuffing a newbie? or a source of chagrin for the ease of victory?). So, all props to you both, and send me some tips whenever you're feeling generous. Thanks
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:25 pm First of all, let me compliment you on your quick and effective hijacking.
I sense that you're not very pleased with our contribution. That being the case I'll take my leave but before I go I want to make amends by putting your thread back on track.

I think euthanasia is okay as long as it isn't made compulsory.
Philosophy Explorer

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:45 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:25 pm First of all, let me compliment you on your quick and effective hijacking.
I sense that you're not very pleased with our contribution. That being the case I'll take my leave but before I go I want to make amends by putting your thread back on track.

Ditto here (btw I didn't hijack, just borrowed).

PhilX
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:51 pm

Ditto here (btw I didn't hijack, just borrowed).

PhilX
I look forward to meeting up with you guys again, as both of you have shown me, in the past, insight and depth worthy of a gentleman and a scholar.
Last edited by commonsense on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:02 pm Is euthanasia ethical, not ethical, ethical under certain circumstances or not a topic for ethics at all? What about physician-assisted suicide or a physician's role in execution by lethal injection?
Interesting idea you've got there. Now if euthanasia were compulsory, that would mean it must be undertaken in every possible instance. There would be no choice to euthanize or not to euthanize, no choice at all. But in the case that euthanasia is not compulsory, as you posited, then there would be choice and moral dilemma.

Are there circumstances that would favor one choice over the other? If there's a decision to be made, should it be on a case by case basis, as I believe, or are there going to be rules or guidelines regarding the particulars of each case? Or are you meaning that euthanasia should not only be noncompulsory but completely prohibited?

My belief is that each situation is unique in regard to euthanasia. This is admittedly not supported by argument. That is to say that I am hoping that all residents of an imagined utopia would have the wisdom to decide each case with compassion and justice. Realizing that hope and utopia are not solid grounds for an argument, I must retrofit an argument to justify my unfounded belief.

I hope I can do so :lol:
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

not when government controls medicine...

but your benevolent state doctors would never see fit to execute anyone for any reason...

you have to wait in line for that procedure and if you die in the interim that's not our fault...

obey

-Imp
Greta

Post by Greta »

Speaking for myself, if I was dying, in regular extreme discomfort and/or tending towards the vegetative, I'd want to be put out of my misery.

Why do we put pets down when they are very ill? Because the rest of their lives would be tortuous, not worth living. Same principle would ideally apply to humans too, but the west is yet to overcome the inertia of history in this area.

Like ocean liners, societies cannot perform quick and sharp U-turns but must deal with the momentum and inertia of their prior journeys. This creates a strange situation where many people in power can be perfectly aware of circumstances and yet continue to implement policy based on traditional and archaic views, at least for a time. I think that eventually commonsense (the concept, not the forum member*) prevails.

* this is not to say that you won't prevail in life, just that I make no such claim one way or another :)