Is there such a thing as a merciful death?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

Re: Is there such a thing as a merciful death?

Post by prof »

Yes, euthanasia is a topic for Ethics. Circumstances are relevant to deciding which way to go. Physician-assisted suicide is often the ethical course of action. If a patient has a low quality of life because of multiple handicaps, can't hear, can't see, the kidneys now malfunction, must wear a bag - and this patient gives his or her nurses 'a hard time' when they come to assist in changing the bag. If the head nurse at the rehabilitation center now recommends hospice care, then it is an emergency situation.

In emergencies, ethics is suspended. Examples: life in foxholes; the driver trapped in a burning truck-cab begs you to kill him as an act of mercy; etc.

Comments? Analyses?
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

The Charlie Gard case brought me here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/04/worl ... ml?mcubz=1

Many times, the state is to be kept out of taking decisions on family issues, but in this case I think it was the right thing to do and the wisest decision was taken.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I have been contributing to the cause of legalising doctor-assisted death for years. I hope to have enough money saved to pay for the Swiss clinic if I want to, and to pay for the Swiss clinic for my relations if they so desire. Doctor-assisted death has nothing to do with the case for abortion.

As for the Charlie Gard case although I sympathise with the feelings of the parents the baby's best interests are better assessed by the medical personnel who can predict Charlie's chances of survival and assess his present distress.It is both legal and morally justified to remove life support measures when the case is hopeless.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Belinda wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am I have been contributing to the cause of legalising doctor-assisted death for years. I hope to have enough money saved to pay for the Swiss clinic if I want to, and to pay for the Swiss clinic for my relations if they so desire. Doctor-assisted death has nothing to do with the case for abortion.
It's also allowed in California. I found out reading this story:

https://medium.com/@kestrin/the-art-of- ... fa120636c5

I hope it becomes accepted as a normal practice in every country.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Where there is life there is hope, where there is no life there is no hope.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Euthanasia is a medical matter between the individual and their doctor. It's no one else's business. Ethics my arse. Is there an 'ethical dilemma' when your pet is suffering? Why are we continuing to allow ourselves to be dictated to by lying religious fuck-heads. No one is forcing them to have themselves euthanised.
I understand there are some states in the US that have legalised it. Legalised marijuana, gay marriage, voluntary euthanasia. The US is coming dangerously close to resembling a civilised and enlightened place i.e. LIBERAL. There are just the matters of the death penalty, all the warmongering and blowing up of countries etc.etc. etc...
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

thedoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:59 am Where there is life there is hope, where there is no life there is no hope.
The doc, not only a platitude but also a false as a proposition.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:14 am Euthanasia is a medical matter between the individual and their doctor. It's no one else's business. Ethics my arse. Is there an 'ethical dilemma' when your pet is suffering? Why are we continuing to allow ourselves to be dictated to by lying religious fuck-heads. No one is forcing them to have themselves euthanised.
I understand there are some states in the US that have legalised it. Legalised marijuana, gay marriage, voluntary euthanasia. The US is coming dangerously close to resembling a civilised and enlightened place i.e. LIBERAL. There are just the matters of the death penalty, all the warmongering and blowing up of countries etc.etc. etc...
Charlie Gard wants to die...

and the gas chambers were efficient

-Imp
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:14 am There are just the matters of the death penalty,...etc.etc.etc...
Aside from the justice system and its death penallty, couldn't lethal injection be considered a merciful death? After all, first they are put under anaesthesia and then their heart is stopped.

BTW, I agree with your comments and applaud how passionately you have stated them.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm Charlie Gard wants to die...
How can someone be sure about what Charlie's wants are?
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm and the gas chambers were efficient
Well said.
vegetariantaxidermy

Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:14 am Euthanasia is a medical matter between the individual and their doctor. It's no one else's business. Ethics my arse. Is there an 'ethical dilemma' when your pet is suffering? Why are we continuing to allow ourselves to be dictated to by lying religious fuck-heads. No one is forcing them to have themselves euthanised.
Charlie Gard wants to die...

and the gas chambers were efficient

-Imp
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:20 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:14 am There are just the matters of the death penalty,...etc.etc.etc...
Aside from the justice system and its death penallty, couldn't lethal injection be considered a merciful death? After all, first they are put under anaesthesia and then their heart is stopped.

BTW, I agree with your comments and applaud how passionately you have stated them.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm Charlie Gard wants to die...
How can someone be sure about what Charlie's wants are?
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm and the gas chambers were efficient
Well said.
Lethal injection is hardly 'merciful'. It's also not voluntary euthanasia, although I would choose it over the barbaric US penal system.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:19 pm Lethal injection is hardly 'merciful'. It's also not voluntary euthanasia, although I would choose it over the barbaric US penal system.
I believe most US executions are by lethal injection, so what are the barbaric means of execution that you are referring to?

A person who in executed by lethal injection usually chooses to commit the act that leads to that end, so it is voluntary. If it can be proven that the individual didn't choose to commit the act, lethal injection is not invoked, as the act has been ruled as an accident or involuntary manslaughter.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm A person who in executed by lethal injection usually chooses to commit the act that leads to that end, so it is voluntary.
Is there a name for this particular school of logic, Doc?
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:19 pm Lethal injection is hardly 'merciful'. It's also not voluntary euthanasia, although I would choose it over the barbaric US penal system.
I believe most US executions are by lethal injection, so what are the barbaric means of execution that you are referring to?

A person who in executed by lethal injection usually chooses to commit the act that leads to that end, so it is voluntary. If it can be proven that the individual didn't choose to commit the act, lethal injection is not invoked, as the act has been ruled as an accident or involuntary manslaughter.
Only two sentences and you still manage to be confused. :roll:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 pm
thedoc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Only two sentences and you still manage to be confused. :roll:
Nice dodge, but I see that you don't have an answer.