Suicide texting

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Suicide texting

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Some guy committed suicide at the urging of his girlfriend
through texting.

Should the girl be held accountable? Would she be an accessory before the fact? Is this a violation of her freedom of speech? (a trial is currently being held)

Since she knew his state of mind and gave him advice to commit suicide, then I think she should be held accountable.

PhilX
ken

Re: Suicide texting

Post by ken »

And what type of punishment do you also think she should get and for how long for?

Considering you seem to think you know all the particulars of this situation, how old was she and what was her state of "mind" at the time?

How were you already privy to how she knew his state of "mind"? Were you there at the time? And, considering a trial is only now currently being held you were pretty quick to make such a conclusive judgemental call that she should be held accountable, what other factual information are you aware of, which you failed to disclose to us? Or do you usually base your judgemental views of others on such very little information?

They are questions you can very easily answer, now can you answer questions like What is the actual Mind? And, you stated that she knew his state of "mind", so what does that actually mean?
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 pmShould the girl be held accountable? Would she be an accessory before the fact? Is this a violation of her freedom of speech? (a trial is currently being held)
How could I possibly know how to decide the answer to these questions if I do not know ALL the facts? A trail is only now being held so the "facts" have not yet been expressed, and going by nearly every other trial, if not all, they would only be skewed "facts" anyway.

By the way I already know why she did what she did, so I do not make judgemental calls like you do. I understand why she did what she did.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 pmSo, should the girl be held accountable?
That depends on her age.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 pmWould she be an accessory before the fact?
It depends. Should you be an accessory before all or some or none of the facts of everything others do after you speak to them? If some, which ones behaviors of others should you be accountable for?
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 pmIs this a violation of her freedom of speech?
That would depend on what freedom of speech entails AND on what her actual words were and in what context they were said in, I guess.
duszek

Re: Suicide texting

Post by duszek »

She gave him advice.
He was still a free agent.

How about those who commit suicide because of a broken heart ?
Because they have been dumped by a nasty person whom they loved none the less.

On the other hand: do sect leaders who preach collective suicides because the world is doomed anyway go to jail for brain-washing their unlucky followers ?