Abortion is a pragmatic failure.

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RWStanding

Post by RWStanding »

To the absolute individualist this is a matter for the mother to decide. Since the foetus has no voice.
For those who act by rule there is unlikely to be any equivocation and surviving religions are at best authoritarian-altruist appearing to be pro-life. Some more radical tyrannies might however use abortion for birth control.
For altruist society, abortion is by definition an evil in taking life, but the alternatives may bring greater evil, and it only possible to do what is best, within the limits of rational assessment.
It is quite plainly obvious that if traditional chastity prior to marriage and shot-gun marriage were the rule, there would be far less chance of situations arising where abortion is a question.
The foetus is a growing person, that is with dawning sentience and sapience. The fact of dawning sensations that must be felt, is effectively dawning sapience. That developing person is a member of society with a right, or growing right to life. The mother also has a right to life, but in addition a duty to the unborn child. But, until birth, the mother is the only fully aware and sapient member of society.
At the very least, it were best if abortions were limited to the period before sentience arises. Any later abortion only undertaken in the event of the mother being at risk of her life.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Joanne gets knocked up and wants to suction the lil bugger out. Have at it, Joanne, but pay for it yourself.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Men need to shut the fuck up about abortion.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal

Re:

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote:Joanne gets knocked up and wants to suction the lil bugger out. Have at it, Joanne, but pay for it yourself.
If you're talking about Joanne Quirk, I'll pay for the abortion.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Re:

Harbal wrote:
henry quirk wrote:Joanne gets knocked up and wants to suction the lil bugger out. Have at it, Joanne, but pay for it yourself.
If you're talking about Joanne Quirk, I'll pay for the abortion.
lol. Especially if it's his mother. I'll help you pay.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: lol. Especially if it's his mother. I'll help you pay.
The thought of a new litter of little quirklets doesn't bear thinking about, does it?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: lol. Especially if it's his mother. I'll help you pay.
The thought of a new litter of little quirklets doesn't bear thinking about, does it?
You will as they grow up and go into politics.
henry quirk

fric, frack, and bobo the wonder chimp

Post by henry quirk »

A goddamned comedy troupe.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

henry quirk wrote:A goddamned comedy troupe.
That's why I picked the popcorns :)
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Abortion is a pragmatic failure.

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

RWStanding wrote:Abortion is a pragmatic failure...
For altruist society, abortion is by definition an evil in taking life, but the alternatives may bring greater evil, and it only possible to do what is best, within the limits of rational assessment..
An altruistic society would not define taking life as evil at all.

As the prospective mother is actually a member of society and the foetus is NOT, then the well being of the woman carrying the Foetus would be its primary concern.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Quirk is typical of a grumpy old bastard who does not know he is born.
He wallows in privilege convincing himself that what he has, has been gained by efforts all his own, not dependant on the society which has nurtured his bloody minded selfish meanness.
I image him stewing in his own juices moaning at the TV, which is manufacturing his consent to persecute those that are less fortunate than himself.
He rather condemn a poor young women to a lifetime of penury rather than lift a wrinkled twisted finger in assistance.
Vile Trumper!
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Quirk is typical of a grumpy old bastard who does not know he is born.
He wallows in privilege convincing himself that what he has, has been gained by efforts all his own, not dependant on the society which has nurtured his bloody minded selfish meanness.
I image him stewing in his own juices moaning at the TV, which is manufacturing his consent to persecute those that are less fortunate than himself.
He rather condemn a poor young women to a lifetime of penury rather than lift a wrinkled twisted finger in assistance.
Vile Trumper!
True!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Quirk is typical of a grumpy old bastard who does not know he is born.
Vile Trumper!
True!

Brings into mind Jack Nicholson's character in About Schmidt, except that Quirk is never going to receive the letter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcjyXmSqOs
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"He wallows in privilege"

Commies and the like love to toss out 'privilege' and 'inequity' and 'rights...part of the playbook.

So: please, enlighten me...how am I 'privileged'?

#

"He rather condemn a poor young women to a lifetime of penury"

I'd prefer her to live a life of self-direction and -control, an autonomous life. Folks like yourself work hard to promote licentiousness and then demand 'privileged' folks pay the bills.

#

"Vile Trumper!"

Pretty much what I'd expect to hear from a commie.