Abortion is a pragmatic failure.

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Abortion is a pragmatic failure.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greta wrote:A topic raised by a conservative Christian, endorsed by conservative Christians.

Argued against by progressive secularists.

It would be good to have a philosophy board where theists were automatically banned. There'd be no more of these pointless degrading topics driven by theistic ideology, which is a terrible distraction.
I might be secular but I'm not an anything 'ist'. And I can't stand those who label themselves 'Progressives'. There's a difference between being progressive and being 'a Progressive'. 'Progressives' are the ones that illiterate yanks erroneously call 'liberals'. It's the 'Progressives' who have ruined the word.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Greta wrote:A topic raised by a conservative Christian, endorsed by conservative Christians.

It would be good to have a philosophy board where theists were automatically banned. There'd be no more of these pointless degrading topics driven by theistic ideology, which is a terrible distraction.
I might be secular but I'm not an anything 'ist'. And I can't stand those who label themselves 'progressives'.
Yes, I appreciate what you are trying to distance yourself from but you know the schism I am talking about. It's the same game over and over. A Christian comes here wanting to attack women, women who have abortions, gays or transgenders and then a predictable struggle ensues where all of the usual shit is trotted out. The whole aim is for Christians to keep these topics on the discussion agenda - to never let them rest.

These distractions dominate the boards like weeds taking over a garden. I deplore the way theists have sucked so much of the creativity and originality out of these philosophy forums. I used to go to an ethics forum and it was overrun by gun lobbyists. You'd think ethics is a broad area, right? Not on that forum once the gun nuts took over - every single thread became a gun debate.

That's what's happened to both philosophy forums I'm on - ever debate is on theistic terms. I'm currently Googling for philosophy forums without any religion. I want to find a philosophy forum where the first sign of religiosity results in banning. Zero tolerance. Just one oasis, just one garden free of theistic weeds and rubbish. I am too easily distracted and find the clutter and constant provocation disorienting and uncentering.

I imagine a forum where all members accept some basic truths that don't have to be revisited and picked part - heliocentricism, evolution, the equivalence of the genders, that extra carbon in the atmosphere causes warming, that human sexual and gender diversity is obviously normal, and so forth. Then, from that base we could avoid revisiting the really, really obvious topics like this one and actually progress - to stimulate ideas we'd not thought of before rather than going in these faulty circles, reiterating rather than learning.
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:

I might be secular but I'm not an anything 'ist'. And I can't stand those who label themselves 'progressives'.
Yes, I appreciate what you are trying to distance yourself from but you know the schism I am talking about. It's the same game over and over. A Christian comes here wanting to attack women, women who have abortions, gays or transgenders and then a predictable struggle ensues where all of the usual shit is trotted out. The whole aim is for Christians to keep these topics on the discussion agenda - to never let them rest.

These distractions dominate the boards like weeds taking over a garden. I deplore the way theists have sucked so much of the creativity and originality out of these philosophy forums. I used to go to an ethics forum and it was overrun by gun lobbyists. You'd think ethics is a broad area, right? Not on that forum once the gun nuts took over - every single thread became a gun debate.

That's what's happened to both philosophy forums I'm on - ever debate is on theistic terms. I'm currently Googling for philosophy forums without any religion. I want to find a philosophy forum where the first sign of religiosity results in banning. Zero tolerance. Just one oasis, just one garden free of theistic weeds and rubbish. I am too easily distracted and find the clutter and constant provocation disorienting and uncentering.

I imagine a forum where all members accept some basic truths that don't have to be revisited and picked part - heliocentricism, evolution, the equivalence of the genders, that extra carbon in the atmosphere causes warming, that human sexual and gender diversity is obviously normal, and so forth. Then, from that base we could avoid revisiting the really, really obvious topics like this one and actually progress - to stimulate ideas we'd not thought of before rather than going in these faulty circles, reiterating rather than learning.
I agree. The religious nuts infiltrate anywhere that they sense there might be secular, thinking people. They obviously can't stand the company of their own. :lol: But there is a certain kind of 'atheist' who seem to love talking to them. Those discussions are beyond boring and they go on forever.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Those discussions are beyond boring and they go on forever.
If you don't like the program, quit bitching and change the channel.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Those discussions are beyond boring and they go on forever.
If you don't like the program, quit bitching and change the channel.
I don't join those discussions. I'm saying they aren't philosophy. 'God/No God' as philosophy is like saying an argument over whether palm reading is scientific or not is philosophy. Either people believe in rubbish or they don't. There's nothing to discuss.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I think its overdue that i chime in here and piss some people off. I agreed to two abortions in my younger years and have paid for it pretty much ever since - ever since God introduced itself to me. It made me suffer to the point where i would prefer to have been nailed to a crucifix and get it over in 24hrs, which is ironic as im a Christian.
I'm far more 'religious' now than i was back then and certainly not by my own choice.

What i don't understand is that i know plenty of people that have had abortions and God doesnt seem to give a flying fuck about them, i guess im just special - the life of Brian - oh wot a laff.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

My daughter said she would never consider an abortion for herself, makes me proud that I help to bring her up right.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I do not have a strong opinion on abortion either way and as such is the only major moral issue I am neutral on