Freedom of Movement or Migration

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Freedom of Movement or Migration

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greta wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Greta wrote: Trouble is that people are too uninformed to appreciate that GDP has relevance in terms of relative power in a region, but it's GDP per capita that matters - and it's been dropping in Oz.
From what I've seen you have a pretty fascist sort of regime there at the moment--anti-the arts, anti-environment, climate-change inaction if not outright denial...Strange the way the Australian 'liberal' party is anything but. You've had some excellent PMs, but not for a while now.
Alas, we are near the eye of the Murdochsphere. His lowering of the bar in media ethics has been pivotal in bringing down the west as people are increasingly are distracted by nonsense and trivia. I re-read Brave New World recently. Huxley saw the infantilisation of broader society coming.
True. Real journalists, especially investigative journalists, are practically extinct, and even when they do write now most people wouldn't have a clue (or really care) what they are talking about. They are more interested in how big Kim Kardashian's arse is at any given time. Remember when everyone knew about Watergate, even children? I remember my teacher talking about it to us, and we were pretty young children. I was always aware of politics and what was going on in the world. Mind you, my father was a journalist so I suppose I absorbed a lot.