The Art of Peace

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

The Art of Peace

Post by Walker »

"Instructors can impart only a fraction of the teaching. It is through your own devoted practice that the mysteries of the Art of Peace are brought to life."

Morihei Ueshiba
- The Art of Peace
(available online, large pdf file)
Walker

Re: The Art of Peace

Post by Walker »

"It is neccessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."

Morihei Ueshiba
- The Art of Peace
Walker

Post by Walker »

"The Art of Peace is medicine for a sick world. There is evil and disorder in the world because people have forgotten that all things emanate from one source. Return to that source and leave behind all self centered thoughts, petty desires, and anger. Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything."

Morihei Ueshiba
- The Art of Peace
Walker

Post by Walker »

“All life is a manifestation of the spirit, the manifestation of love. And the Art of Peace is the purest form of that principle. A warrior is charged with bringing a halt to all contention and strife. Universal love functions in many forms; each manifestation should be allowed free expression. The Art of Peace is true democracy.”

Morihei Ueshiba
- The Art of Peace
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:"Instructors can impart only a fraction of the teaching. It is through your own devoted practice that the mysteries of the Art of Peace are brought to life."

Morihei Ueshiba
- The Art of Peace
(available online, large pdf file)

Empty headed profound sounding platitude that any five year old could have expressed more simply.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:"It is neccessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."

Morihei Ueshiba
- The Art of Peace

Empty headed profound sounding platitude that any five year old could have expressed more simply.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Interesting that you mention that, resolute in tone as it is. This time of year children of all ages are in proximity. Just recently in a gigantic public museum made to withstand a thousand years of weather if they just keep the grass cut, I had occasion to corral some of the maniacs and explain the rules of conduct.

Running and yelling like human butterflies were they, over-the-line of expected tolerance from the family of man. First of all, with young ones, capture the attention. Crouch down, eye-to-eye. Human-to-human. Get close, attention on the face, all eyes on the face, which isn’t difficult given their usual perspective. Yes, now everyone, don’t touch. Don’t touch anything. Understand? Get a nod from each head, and keep an eye on the one who just grinned back, because she looks a lot like me only she was raised to be free as a butterfly. Phone number in ink on each arm, with instructions of where to go if separated. And yes, they are better at explaining if you listen.

This was after the uniformed guard corrected one, and gave me a look, since I was obviously in charge of the large group. But I tell you, a forklift at moderate speed probably wouldn't have damaged that block of granite. Well, a small forklift. Without the forks.

Hobbes, I think you'll like this. A long time ago in a museum while holding my 2-year old, I got us too close to a Van Gogh. She reached out and touched the yellow sunflowers that he had painted. I quickly backed us away. The painting of course was on sensors, but the alarm did not sound, and the guard did not see. She grew up to be an artist. I am constantly amazed.

Too much walking to see the Rodins, though. Next visit there's a couple I want to see again.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Hobbes, I think you'll like this. A long time ago in a museum while holding my 2-year old, I got us too close to a Van Gogh. She reached out and touched the yellow sunflowers that he had painted. I quickly backed us away. The painting of course was on sensors, but the alarm did not sound, and the guard did not see. She grew up to be an artist. I am constantly amazed.
What amazes me is she didn't grow up to be an art thief. Clearly has the touch for it.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Walker wrote:“All life is a manifestation of the spirit, the manifestation of love. And the Art of Peace is the purest form of that principle. A warrior is charged with bringing a halt to all contention and strife. Universal love functions in many forms; each manifestation should be allowed free expression. The Art of Peace is true democracy.”

Morihei Ueshiba
- The Art of Peace
...unfortunately not ever on this planet. Too many shitheads on it screwing things up. Even Philosophy Forums are opposite to the cerebral art of peace, love and spirit. If we had the ability to shoot each other from a distance most of us would be dead. Let's face it, we got corkscrewed on the DNA front.
Walker

Post by Walker »

The natural growth of goodness is not at all surprising. The artist by definition must be honest. The thief is dishonest. The artist perceives beauty, not theft schemes; potency, not rage; expression beyond limitations, not projection of limitations. The artist faces the end before the end; the thief cannot cheat the inevitable.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dubious wrote:
Walker wrote:“All life is a manifestation of the spirit, the manifestation of love. And the Art of Peace is the purest form of that principle. A warrior is charged with bringing a halt to all contention and strife. Universal love functions in many forms; each manifestation should be allowed free expression. The Art of Peace is true democracy.”

Morihei Ueshiba
- The Art of Peace
...unfortunately not ever on this planet. Too many shitheads on it screwing things up. Even Philosophy Forums are opposite to the cerebral art of peace, love and spirit. If we had the ability to shoot each other from a distance most of us would be dead. Let's face it, we got corkscrewed on the DNA front.
I believe you are right on the subject of virtual shooting. I am a hypocrite. For all my talk of nonviolence and wishing people happy new year, I could seriously slap the face off some irritants. But they would probably enjoy it :roll:

OK - I know I need to go take a long walk....
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

marjoram_blues wrote:
OK - I know I need to go take a long walk....
That's what most artists, writers, composers, philosophers used to do. They took very, very long walks as for example Wordsworth, Beethoven, Nietzsche and always with a notepad ready to record the next idea.
duszek

Post by duszek »

And when annoyed and aggressive or when remembering something annoying in the past one can sooth one´s mind by reciting a poem by Shakeapeare:

Shall I compare thee to a summer´s day ...

or

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought ...

And when you try to remember the whole text and when you get to the end your anger has vanished or at least faded.

If we want peace in the world we first need to make peace in our minds.
(Could be from Dalai Lama but I invented it myself just now. :D )
Walker

Post by Walker »

duszek wrote:And when annoyed and aggressive or when remembering something annoying in the past one can sooth one´s mind by reciting a poem by Shakeapeare:

Shall I compare thee to a summer´s day ...

or

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought ...

And when you try to remember the whole text and when you get to the end your anger has vanished or at least faded.

If we want peace in the world we first need to make peace in our minds.
(Could be from Dalai Lama but I invented it myself just now. :D )
Invent a hundred more and if they have real worth in part and in whole and in every breath, such as that one, you will outlive that body. But who can do that, and back it up?

Men who work with stone, know something that others don’t know. Or maybe the others know it, but are distracted from what they know, and seeing that distraction causes annoyance and impatience in the patient man who works in stone. (I think someone else discovered that, and I saw it, thanks to you) :)
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

only the dead know peace

after the decomposers wage war on their corpses

-Imp