Doing The Right Thing

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: Doing The Right Thing

Post by HexHammer »

tbieter wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
tbieter wrote: I agree . The concept of choice implies free will more or less.
Please be quiet, go sweep some streets, clean some toilets, help some homeless, do something useful! Philosphy is not for you!
Why are you so hostile? Remember, the unexamined life is not worth living. Why are you so hostile to people on this forum?
If you met someone who constantly tryed to be wise and teach other people math, by telling them 2 + 2 = 5, wouldn't you tell him to go do something else, than pollute people with wrong conclusions?
Walker

Post by Walker »

tbieter wrote: I agree . The concept of choice implies free will more or less.
“A mind capable of choosing is really a very confused mind.”
- Jiddu Krishnamurti
Walker

Post by Walker »

New York 1966

NEW YORK 3RD PUBLIC TALK 30TH SEPTEMBER 1966

http://www.jiddu-krishnamurti.net/en/19 ... ublic-talk

BeyondTheAstral wrote:What is considered normal for “Doing the Right thing” is based on time and environment, for example at one time it was the right thing to stone a sinner!
When you put life on the line like that, I disagree. In cultures and times where sinners are stoned, the stoning is an intent and action carried out with knowledge that the action is wrong. The reason: life is the measure that encompasses all human time and cultural vagaries.

It’s human nature to consciously do what is known and perceived to be wrong. It’s always been this way.

People do the wrong thing precisely because it is the wrong thing to do. That’s the very attraction … at first. That’s why a kid steals the first cigarette, because it is the wrong thing to do. Then the doing becomes a habit and hidden from awareness; it becomes the status quo, a protected slumber.

The confusion of right and wrong arises when people transform known wrongness into reasoned rightness. Like stoning. Legal sanction of an action that everyone knows is wrong, and have always known is wrong by those within and outside the culture and time, does not make the action right.

May the Mitten Force be wit you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ4EQFcFQQo
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I don't believe that spontaneity equals moral core correctness.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:I don't believe that spontaneity equals moral core correctness.
What do you believe that spontaneity does equal, and what is the basis of that belief?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I don't believe that spontaneity equals moral core correctness.
What do you believe that spontaneity does equal, and what is the basis of that belief?
Spontaneity equals neural conditioning. I base this on neurology.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:
Spontaneity equals neural conditioning. I base this on neurology.
Is the degree of intellectual enthusiasm and energy that radiates from an individual’s own topic of interest (in this case, spontaneity) an effect of this neural conditioning?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Intellectual pursuits and spontaneity are two different things. However, the endorphins released when enthusiasm is persued ends up wiring the brain in a Pavlovian response circuit, I would suppose.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:Intellectual pursuits and spontaneity are two different things. However, the endorphins released when enthusiasm is persued ends up wiring the brain in a Pavlovian response circuit, I would suppose.
Your topic of interest. Having never pursued enthusiasm or spontaneity, I wouldn’t know about what you suppose.

I do know that spontaneity is a description, not a prescription.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Intellectual pursuits and spontaneity are two different things. However, the endorphins released when enthusiasm is persued ends up wiring the brain in a Pavlovian response circuit, I would suppose.
Your topic of interest. Having never pursued enthusiasm or spontaneity, I wouldn’t know about what you suppose. That's why I'm telling you.

I do know that spontaneity is a description, not a prescription. Or, as I've stated, a neural response.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:
Your topic of interest. Having never pursued enthusiasm or spontaneity, I wouldn’t know about what you suppose. That's why I'm telling you.

I do know that spontaneity is a description, not a prescription. Or, as I've stated, a neural response.
Spontaneous: "developing or occurring without apparent external influence, force, cause, or treatment."

Based on the definition of spontaneous your supposition is incorrect, since a Pavlovian response is conditioned and thus, caused.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

It's not wrong. If I go jogging or doing anything pleasurable, and am flooded with endorphins, I'm going to do it again, and the neural response will be built. But fine, allow me to remove the offending word Pavlovian. Better? BTW, don't use a standard lay dictionary for terms in specialties.

So, you seem to be. Hafting at what I'm saying. Would you like to offer something instead of nitpicking?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

It's not wrong. If I go jogging or doing anything pleasurable, and am flooded with endorphins, I'm going to do it again, and the neural response will be built. But fine, allow me to remove the offending word Pavlovian. Better? BTW, don't use a standard lay dictionary for terms in specialties. In a legal dictionary, all drugs are narcotics. In a median al, only opioids.

So, you seem to be chaffing at what I'm saying. Would you like to offer something instead of nitpicking?
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

*bleep*
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:It's not wrong. If I go jogging or doing anything pleasurable, and am flooded with endorphins, I'm going to do it again, and the neural response will be built. But fine, allow me to remove the offending word Pavlovian. Better? BTW, don't use a standard lay dictionary for terms in specialties. In a legal dictionary, all drugs are narcotics. In a median al, only opioids.

So, you seem to be chaffing at what I'm saying. Would you like to offer something instead of nitpicking?
Well, I did present relevance to the thread topic before you veered off onto your personal definition of spontaneous, a personal definition at variance with the actual meaning of the word, though perhaps there is a “special” and so-far unpresented meaning of spontaneous that is the reasoned basis of your assertion that spontaneous equates to conditioning … hardly nitpicking.