Symbiosis between the artists and their patrons

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Symbiosis between the artists and their patrons

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

To what extent would you say there is a symbiosis between the artists and their patrons?

Would you regard this as necessary for the artists or can they develop their craft without a symbiosis? What would lead to a symbiosis in the first place?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Eodnhoj7

Re: Symbiosis between the artists and their patrons

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 pm To what extent would you say there is a symbiosis between the artists and their patrons?

Would you regard this as necessary for the artists or can they develop their craft without a symbiosis? What would lead to a symbiosis in the first place?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I heard a phrase in a movie that was similar to this: "The artist has no control over what he/she sees as "art" but only the choice to keep going. An artist is only considered good if someone else tells them they are good...other than that they just have to "be" who they are."

I think that sums it up.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:05 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 pm To what extent would you say there is a symbiosis between the artists and their patrons?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I heard a phrase in a movie that was similar to this: "The artist has no control over what he/she sees as "art" but only the choice to keep going. An artist is only considered good if someone else tells them they are good...other than that they just have to "be" who they are."

I think that sums it up.
Well said!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

I think that sums it up.
...so I guess Van Gogh wasn't any good until shortly after he croaked!
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Viveka wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 am

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

I think that sums it up.
Well said!

The movies was "Carol" if I remember correctly.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Dubious wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 am

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

I think that sums it up.
...so I guess Van Gogh wasn't any good until shortly after he croaked!
Unfortunately...yeah...an artist has to be an artist...whether he is accepted or not is not up to him...all he can do is keep going.