Atheist Fiction

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Atheist Fiction

Post by Greta »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:36 am
Dubious wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:22 am As a neo-Nietzsche neophyte, I proclaim that Babel Fish is dead replaced by the Google God as an advanced digital hologram of what used to be.
I'm tempted to paste this into Google Translate but haven't decided what language I need to understand it in...
Put it this way, the Babel fish is not so much dead so much as superseded by a mere cipher of itself :)
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Greta wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:36 am
Dubious wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:22 am As a neo-Nietzsche neophyte, I proclaim that Babel Fish is dead replaced by the Google God as an advanced digital hologram of what used to be.
I'm tempted to paste this into Google Translate but haven't decided what language I need to understand it in...
Put it this way, the Babel fish is not so much dead so much as superseded by a mere cipher of itself :)
Riiiiiight, OK then, I'll stick with Google translate to understand Andrea Camilleri, or even better Inpector Salvo Montalbano, I mean actor Luca Zingaretti 8)
Camilleri, a heavy smoker of cigarettes, aged 92, author and director considers himself a 'non-militant atheist' - see wiki.

Now I watched Montalbano and can't for the life of me remember any religious aspects. Strange but it was the interrupted fork halfway to the mouth when the telephone rings...after careful food preparation and anticipation, wine glass in hand...
Porca troia :twisted:
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

..as we to others, God doesn't give a damn
so we'll tech one better as a hologram
re-equating the equations of mortality
to resolutions of its own modality;
one that forgives our holocaustal histories
with no clairvoyant calls to higher mysteries...etc :twisted:

...this makes clear why I'm immune to translation.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

marjoram_blues wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 pm Aesthetic approaches to 'problem' of god's non-existence - creating own meaning in an indifferent universe.
Authors, novels, plays, poetry, programmes, characters...cartoons...
Any sweet or sour suggestions; shocks, surprises ?
I like this by Emily Dickinson:

In the name of the Bee -
And of the Butterfly -
And of the Breeze - Amen !
A genius in one thing does not make for an all-round genius, in fact, all-round genius is none existent. The way I understand believers is that they are blind to the reality in which we live, in fact, it is an alternate reality, and a comforting one apparently. It is a very harsh world for all organisms, nature red in tooth and claw, life lives upon life, kind of YUCKY god that would set that up! I don't really respect believers, I know probably most of them behave kindly, but the motivation is suspect, if they arent, their really going to catch up the ass. I kind of give a pass to those poor souls who are just to busy ecking out a living to give much thought to the matter, and its a fast-food culture anyway. Belief seems to inevitably be anti-intellectual, anti-science, which is understandable, no? These things scare the hell out of them, it's the proverbial Samson pushing down the pillers of delusion, the whole place shaking away. The people I know who are believers think argument, and debate are practiced only by the extremely rude, perhaps violently inclined. I suspect in many of these cases that they feel like that because they are incapable of rational debate themselves and the thought of one arising frightens them. Atheist fiction, now what might that involve, thinking in company?

Post by Age »

popeye1945 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:58 am
marjoram_blues wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 pm Aesthetic approaches to 'problem' of god's non-existence - creating own meaning in an indifferent universe.
Authors, novels, plays, poetry, programmes, characters...cartoons...
Any sweet or sour suggestions; shocks, surprises ?
I like this by Emily Dickinson:

In the name of the Bee -
And of the Butterfly -
And of the Breeze - Amen !
A genius in one thing does not make for an all-round genius, in fact, all-round genius is none existent. The way I understand believers is that they are blind to the reality in which we live, in fact, it is an alternate reality, and a comforting one apparently. It is a very harsh world for all organisms, nature red in tooth and claw, life lives upon life, kind of YUCKY god that would set that up!
Here is a PRIME EXAMPLE of how 'you', adult human beings, when this is being written, are BLIND to thee ACTUAL Truth of 'things', because of your OWN BELIEFS and ASSUMPTIONS. You have FORMED the 'alternate reality' that 'Reality', Itself, is "very harsh", "nature is cruel", and ALL-OF-THIS is "kind of YUCKY". Which a LOT of BELIEVERS 'use' as an ATTEMPT to "justify" and "rationalize" their BELIEF (in) God does NOT exist. OR, IF God does exist, then God MUST BE CRUEL.

These people, back in those days, ACTUALLY had a 'sense' that the WHOLE Universe SHOULD be CARING FOR and LOOKING AFTER each of 'them' INDIVIDUALLY. Which is even MORE ABSURD when RE-READ and 'thought' about MORE.
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:58 am I don't really respect believers,
YET, here 'you' may be a BELIEVER, that God does NOT exist.

We will just have to WAIT, to SEE.
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:58 am I know probably most of them behave kindly, but the motivation is suspect, if they arent, their really going to catch up the ass. I kind of give a pass to those poor souls who are just to busy ecking out a living to give much thought to the matter, and its a fast-food culture anyway. Belief seems to inevitably be anti-intellectual, anti-science, which is understandable, no?
Are you here suggesting that 'you' do NOT BELIEVE ANY thing AT ALL?
popeye1945 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:58 am These things scare the hell out of them, it's the proverbial Samson pushing down the pillers of delusion, the whole place shaking away. The people I know who are believers think argument, and debate are practiced only by the extremely rude, perhaps violently inclined. I suspect in many of these cases that they feel like that because they are incapable of rational debate themselves and the thought of one arising frightens them. Atheist fiction, now what might that involve, thinking in company?
What does 'theist fiction' involve?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

I simply don't buy into the ancient fantasy, like old Albert said, it is time for humanity to grow up.