Statue removal

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Statue removal

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote: Good grief.
It wasn't really grief they got but a very real sense of their oddness but in some places they said they felt hostility compared to their life in the UK.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 pm
It wasn't really grief they got but a very real sense of their oddness but in some places they said they felt hostility compared to their life in the UK.
Brits can be odd, that's true. :lol:

Mixed couples are too commonplace to really notice.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Outsiders who don't have a dog in the fight but have nothing else to do, so they stick their noses in where it doesn't belong."

Exactly.

#

"The United States is one of the least racist countries on the planet. Most likely it's the very least."

Oh, I don't know about all that...what I do know is the U.S. isn't nearly as bad when it comes to 'race' as some folks like to paint it, and 'race' is not the issue down here in the same way it is in, say, New York or California.

#

"just info from a conversation with another American"

From whereabouts?

#

"It wasn't really grief they got but a very real sense of their oddness but in some places they said they felt hostility compared to their life in the UK."

Where in the U.S. were they visitin'?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:09 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 pm
Brits can be odd, that's true. :lol:

The Odd Couple: VT and Arising :lol:

PhilX 🇺🇸
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote: Brits can be odd, that's true. :lol:

So things have changed, that's good.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:...

"just info from a conversation with another American"

From whereabouts?
NY originally and Colorado and San Francisco I think.
"It wasn't really grief they got but a very real sense of their oddness but in some places they said they felt hostility compared to their life in the UK."

Where in the U.S. were they visitin'?
Pretty much all over the place as he was a reporter for the BBC.
thedoc

Re: Re:

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:14 pm Pretty much all over the place as he was a reporter for the BBC.
That's understandable, reporters usually get a hostile reception.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:21 am
Hmm... I tend to fall on your side in this discussion but in America the racism of the South is still pretty strong and tied strongly to the dreams of a Confederate South rising again and those statues are still used as exemplars of that.

You mean by a tiny group of white supremacist nutters? Those sort of people exist everywhere. As if tearing down monuments is going to make any difference to them and what they 'think'.
Who knows, their next love-interest could be Disneyland, that 'hot-bed of racist rabbits and Donald Ducks'. There are persistent rumours that Disney himself might have been a teensy bit 'racist'. The 'Progressives' should be demanding why there has never been a black Mickey Mouse, and calling for Disneyland to be demolished immediately.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/0 ... 46634.html

More humourless 'Progressive' offended-on-behalf-ofness:

''Disney has halted sales of a costume inspired by its upcoming "Moana" movie after being accused of racism.

The costume is based on Disney's animated depiction of Maui, a key figure in Polynesian oral tradition. It featured full-length brown trousers and a long-sleeved shirt covered in "tattoos," as well as a "skirt" made of leaves.

Traditional tattoos are imbued with deep meaning in Polynesian culture.

Chelsie Haunani Fairchild, who described herself as Polynesian and a native Hawaiian, said the costume was an example of cultural appropriation. It was wrong to sell a costume that allowed children to pretend to be another race, she said.''

"It's disgusting," she said in a video posted to YouTube. "This is inappropriate, and it's not okay."

The clearly very 'Polynesian' Chelsea Fairchild:

All the Polynesians I know have a great sense of humour. I can't imagine them being 'offended' by this. The costume is hilarious. It's a lovely photo of a typical Polynesian child. Oooh, does that 'offend' Ms Fairchild?

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"NY originally and Colorado and San Francisco I think."

Yeah, I thought it was sumthin'' like that.

#

"Pretty much all over the place as he was a reporter for the BBC."

I suspect he bought into the bad press...colored his perceptions, made him self-conscious.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:Yeah, I thought it was sumthin'' like that.

#
Something like what?
I suspect he bought into the bad press...colored his perceptions, made him self-conscious.
I suspect not as she was reporting it as well.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:That's understandable, reporters usually get a hostile reception.
Eh! How would people know?
Skip

Post by Skip »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 pm
Don't you get it yet? Whoever experiences the negative side of USA, USA, USA it's always their own fault. 'Odd' British reporters buy into fake news; Obama caused racial tension by refusing to stay in the back of the bus and prove that he wasn't a Nigerian Muslim; no white cop shot an unarmed black man or boy, until a city council decided to take down a community-uniting monument to the confederacy, which was nothing like the nazis, because all they wanted was to segregate the superior race from the inferior ones (except for non-consensual sex and forced labour by the latter in service of the former) and have the power of life, death, bondage and torture over the inferior ones - none of which counts against them, anyway, because Jefferson owned slaves and Jim Crow is really just like a Disney cartoon.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Skip wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 pm
Don't you get it yet? Whoever experiences the negative side of USA, USA, USA it's always their own fault. 'Odd' British reporters buy into fake news; Obama caused racial tension by refusing to stay in the back of the bus and prove that he wasn't a Nigerian Muslim; no white cop shot an unarmed black man or boy, until a city council decided to take down a community-uniting monument to the confederacy, which was nothing like the nazis, because all they wanted was to segregate the superior race from the inferior ones (except for non-consensual sex and forced labour by the latter in service of the former) and have the power of life, death, bondage and torture over the inferior ones - none of which counts against them, anyway, because Jefferson owned slaves and Jim Crow is really just like a Disney cartoon.
Does this garbled mess have a point, other than to divert attention away from the fact that you have no argument?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

I would think that sticking a microphone in your face and having someone pointing a video camera at you would be a bit of a give away.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm More humourless 'Progressive' offended-on-behalf-ofness:

''Disney has halted sales of a costume inspired by its upcoming "Moana" movie after being accused of racism.

The costume is based on Disney's animated depiction of Maui, a key figure in Polynesian oral tradition. It featured full-length brown trousers and a long-sleeved shirt covered in "tattoos," as well as a "skirt" made of leaves.

Traditional tattoos are imbued with deep meaning in Polynesian culture.

Chelsie Haunani Fairchild, who described herself as Polynesian and a native Hawaiian, said the costume was an example of cultural appropriation.
All the Polynesians I know have a great sense of humour. I can't imagine them being 'offended' by this. The costume is hilarious. It's a lovely photo of a typical Polynesian child. Oooh, does that 'offend' Ms Fairchild?

That is so cute, where can I get one for my granddaughter?

Is it "cultural appropriation" when a black woman straightens her hair to be more white, or when she lightens her hair to be blond?
Is every time one culture adopts the practice of another culture "cultural appropriation"? then everyone is guilty to some degree or another, and white people should never appreciate or play Jazz.