Statue removal

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re:

Post by Skip »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:36 pm "who holds the referendum"

Who oversees the vote?

The designated elected and appointed folks who oversee the process in any vote. In Acadia parish, in Lousiana (where I am), that would be the Clerk of Courts and Registrar of Voters.

#

"how do you insure their neutrality(?)

How do you ensure neutrality of the voting process, in any vote?
So, then you want to use the same process and mechanism and funding that are used for the election of the officials you don't want making decisions about monuments. I was fine with the original way - in fact, I thought ballots already had plebiscite questions on specific issues - but having a separate vote is okay, too. I'd reserve the special vote for big monuments, though, because if you held one for every flag, plaque and festive decoration, the whole system would would bog down in referenda.
Are there any other public-space matters in which
the last folks you want involved are elected and appointed folks.
?
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:...
Me: Oh yes, cuz those folks never mix bias and business.
'Those folks'? She was just the white wife of a black man in America.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

This lady is the reporter, yeah?

'Those folks' is 'them': reporters...a group of folks who claim an ethic but increasingly do not adhere to it.

Meh...when the conversation degrades to the point where folks don't even know who is talkin' about who, it's probably time to pack it in.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Statue removal

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Skip wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm Deflecting the subject to other topics does not clarify the current issue under consideration. Any of those issues can be discussed under their own topic heading, with their own lines of chronology, logic and relationship. I can't imagine how one would go about constructing a table of comparisons of world events under a finite set of specified criteria - though there is a pretty good reference for facts https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/127 ... of-history, it's far too big a project for a discussion forum. It might be possible to make an objective comparison chart for a sampling of war monuments, their origin, intention and significance, but I doubt it would shed much light on the the particular confrontation on this particular issue at this particular time in that particular place.

I do not explain anyone, nor analyze anyone, nor categorize anyone personally.
I do sometimes attempt to give solicited advice.
If this is referring to me then it's quite the contrary (I think. It's difficult to tell what you are talking about). PC is like a cloud of ash from one of those American super-volcanoes, spreading around the planet and seeping into evey nook and cranny (i.e. just about any topic you can think of).
Skip

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 pm PC is like a cloud of ash from one of those American super-volcanoes, spreading around the planet and seeping into evey nook and cranny (i.e. just about any topic you can think of).
Volcanoes are American?
They should be removed.
vegetariantaxidermy

Still no counterargument. First the gibberish, then the flippancy. Bog-standard diversion. You must have been taking lessons from Walker :D
Skip

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 pm Still no counterargument. First the gibberish, then the flippancy. Bog-standard diversion. You must have been taking lessons from Walker :D
Argument about what? Counter to what? Diversion from what?
As previously stated, I attempt to add some clarification to the topic as presented in the OP.
It is far beyond my powers to shed light on the various opinions of other posters.
vegetariantaxidermy

:lol:
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:This lady is the reporter, yeah?
Nope the black guy is the reporter.
'Those folks' is 'them': reporters...a group of folks who claim an ethic but increasingly do not adhere to it. ...
BBC reporter, has to.
Walker

Post by Walker »

UVA students: Jefferson statue 'an emblem of white supremacy'
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9630

Expel the little bastards and their “demands.” They don’t know enough to dictate conditions, which is why they’re students.
algol

Post by algol »

I think statues get more attention from the politically correct than other works of art because statues are life like resemblances of individuals, who are apart of a history people wish was looked down upon by all society.
A statue represents an individuals "achievements" during a period when certain actions that were once applauded are now seen as barbaric. I would imagine most statues were sculpted at a time when everyone, or at least a majority of a certain area looked at one figure and saw goodness. The actions this man has contributed toward society or public thought can be summed up in the likeness of his image alone. And, some statues are placed in prominent locations, heightening how a community is looked at
In other words, a statue of an individual contains within it the memories of the actions an individual committed within a time of history people do not wish to recognize in a positive manner. Most statues molded in the likenesses of those who once lived are created in admiration of what that person had accomplished in some point in history. Some people don't want a positive light to shine upon what they view as negative. Removing statues of famous, controversial figures distances society/government from what some view as a sordid past.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Leftists taking down statues.

Taliban blowing up the big Buddhas.

Same thing.