Questions Only

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Questions Only

Post by Walker »

ISIS-style photograph depicting the POTUS decapitated, presumably done as art.

Is it art?

http://www.dailywire.com/sites/default/ ... k=2OhR8bKJ
Walker

Re: Questions Only

Post by Walker »

Why would someone do that?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

No its not art.
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:12 pm No its not art.
Would you agree that what you wrote is not a question, and in fact the thread topic disallows answers in this venue?

Is is possible to elevate answering questions with more questions into an art form?

Since philosophy is about asking questions, could we call that Philosophy Art?

When the object d’art relies too heavily on winking for acceptance, isn’t the mind’s continuity of preconceptions the only means to fill in all those dark moments, when the eyes were shut?
Greta

Post by Greta »

If one is only allowed to ask questions, then does that mean we can't expect and answer or are we to use questions as rhetorical devices?

Is this related to that rhetorical device (forgot the terminology) you posted a while ago regarding the avoidance of declarative statements?

Will you remember to reply in the form of question? Or is this more like a Beauty and the Beast panel discussion?

Oh, I almost forgot to ask - are we supposed to be offended and provide required expressions of outrage and disapproval every time someone from a group known to have many crazies does something crazy? Is it unwise to keep responding to these things like Pavolov's Dog or is it a sign that we are not yet desensitised?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Who is on first

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:32 pm If one is only allowed to ask questions, then does that mean we can't expect and answer or are we to use questions as rhetorical devices?

Is this related to that rhetorical device (forgot the terminology) you posted a while ago regarding the avoidance of declarative statements?

Will you remember to reply in the form of question? Or is this more like a Beauty and the Beast panel discussion?

Oh, I almost forgot to ask - are we supposed to be offended and provide required expressions of outrage and disapproval every time someone from a group known to have many crazies does something crazy? Is it unwise to keep responding to these things like Pavolov's Dog or is it a sign that we are not yet desensitised?
When time accelerates to the point where stupendous moral conundrums affecting vast worldwide swaths of perception fade into obscurity within the span of a Mayfly’s halflife, isn’t the proper philosophical path of contemplation to be found in a nucleus of cause around which the same irrationality taking on many forms, orbits?

It would seem so, because like the electron that focuses into proximity by attention, should not thoughts likewise be elevated to the forms that thoughts adopt here on earth, to prevent the proxomized electrons localizing on the other side of the universe?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Do you care? I mean, have an actual feeling about it?
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:57 am Do you care? I mean, have an actual feeling about it?
Dear heart, isn’t is sadly enough that folks must learn in the course of life that the happiest person is the saddest, the funniest the most depressed, and the worst-stricken victims of caring must allow rationality its breath to live or else all becomes the entropic puddle of chaos?
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:04 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:57 am Do you care? I mean, have an actual feeling about it?
Dear heart, isn’t is sadly enough that folks must learn in the course of life that the happiest person is the saddest, the funniest the most depressed, and the worst-stricken victims of caring must allow rationality its breath to live or else all becomes the entropic puddle of chaos?
I will take that as a no.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:22 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:04 pm
I will take that as a no.
:)

That's cool. Time has a way of changing words and meanings.

Since neinism is swallowed into invisibility by the blaze of death and total negation, when the roses blossom don’t they smell like sweet perfume floating over the newly mowed grass while the severed wild, pungent scallions bleed cries for attention with their sharp fragrance?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Walker wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:53 am ISIS-style photograph depicting the POTUS decapitated, presumably done as art.
If it was meant as art, I would have thought the obvious reference would be to Judith and Holofernes

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... fernes.jpg

I do not find it particularly disturbing since images of Presidents take on a symbolic and impersonal character. And we see the image knowing that she hasn't really cut off the head.
vegetariantaxidermy

Londoner wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:51 am
Walker wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:53 am ISIS-style photograph depicting the POTUS decapitated, presumably done as art.
If it was meant as art, I would have thought the obvious reference would be to Judith and Holofernes

I do not find it particularly disturbing since images of Presidents take on a symbolic and impersonal character. And we see the image knowing that she hasn't really cut off the head.
Excellent. Expecting a bit much for the likes of Walker to see that though.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:29 am Excellent. Expecting a bit much for the likes of Walker to see that though.
Are inappropriate assertions (in a question venue) that cause condemnation of vision to the close horizon of myopia solely due to projections of the irrational or emotional, or animus, or the trifecta?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Londoner wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:51 am If it was meant as art, I would have thought the obvious reference would be to Judith and Holofernes

Should a patron of the arts follow the lead of the artist who instantly denounces the art when the artistic merits of the work are challenged, as an edgy artwork will likely be, thus placing artistic vision and artistic integrity on the horns of truth for the witness to consider as a conceptual conundrum?

However, would it not in fact be the words of a cynic to say that reaching for every PC excuse, from misogyny victimology to being bullied, is in fact a real-time, putting-it-on-the-line, ironic and edgy performance art rationalization made after the fact, likely for either the perceived purpose of survival, or for moving from self-described D to C status in order to keep up the payments on the Mazerati?