Why is Rodin considered to be an artist?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Pluto

Re: Why is Rodin considered to be an artist?

Post by Pluto »

Maybe the guy was more interesting than his work: his work was the crap he had to offload to continue being himself, being interesting and great
rodin.png
rodin.png (42.58 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
Last edited by Pluto on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Pluto wrote:Maybe the guy was more interesting than his work: his work was the crap he had to offload to continue being himself

rodin.png
His barber should be the immortalized artist...
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Pluto wrote:Maybe the guy was more interesting than his work: his work was the crap he had to offload to continue being himself, being interesting and great

rodin.png
He wears the right kind of hat.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Pluto wrote:Maybe the guy was more interesting than his work: his work was the crap he had to offload to continue being himself, being interesting and great

rodin.png
That's no beret; that's his morning flatbread.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:

rodin.png
Ah, that explains his furrowed frown and deep eyes.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Ah, that explains his furrowed frown and deep eyes.
Damn. I hate it when something I say explains anything. :lol:
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Little did he know he would be spoke of in such childish terms by those who would come after him - or not, the hat and beard could've been amusement to those of his own time. For me he looks good. Not like a cartoon
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

rodin.png
He was a man of humble beginnings, who proved himself the greatest of all France's sculptors. He was internationally recognised as one of the greatest of all time.
From the books I've read about it, your words make no sense whatever.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

Pluto wrote:Little did he know he would be spoke of in such childish terms by those who would come after him - or not, the hat and beard could've been amusement to those of his own time. For me he looks good. Not like a cartoon
His work is pearls before swine on this Forum.
His look was not unusual or particularly remarkable for the late 19thC.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 21.57.58.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 21.57.58.png (241.5 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

BradburyPound wrote:
Pluto wrote:Little did he know he would be spoke of in such childish terms by those who would come after him - or not, the hat and beard could've been amusement to those of his own time. For me he looks good. Not like a cartoon
It makes sense that crass, cultureless Amercans would find him unpalatable and confusing. Ronald McDonald would be more to their taste in sculptural excellence.
OHSUNronaldmcd_jon.jpg
OHSUNronaldmcd_jon.jpg (18.01 KiB) Viewed 3814 times
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

BradburyPound wrote:
Unmistakably a work by Hobbsy, if I'm not mistaken ?
Why the change of name ?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

I am sure he wouldn't give a damn. For what it's worth, I loved the photograph you provided. It gives a sense of the man. Hat an' all.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

BradburyPound wrote:

rodin.png
He was a man of humble beginnings, who proved himself the greatest of all France's sculptors. He was internationally recognised as one of the greatest of all time.
Books are dead and rarely speak ill of an artist - and my quote is not meant to belittle the guy, how could I, I am no-one compared to him. Though we both share the label artist. He created bulky heavy sculptures, to lighten himself up. To throw out the heavy weight of existence as sculpture.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

Pluto wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:

rodin.png
Books are dead and rarely speak ill of an artist - and my quote is not meant to belittle the guy, how could I, I am no-one compared to him. Though we both share the label artist. He created bulky heavy sculptures, to lighten himself up. To throw out the heavy weight of existence as sculpture.
You have no warrant for your view, and decrying books as being uncritical is irrelevant. Your ignorance is your only tool.
" his work was the crap he had to offload to continue being himself" Is not a compliment.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

An artwork has many functions, one being its potential to exorcise the input of contemporary society and turn it into an output, something processed by the artist and then got rid of. Freeing up the artist's inner self to source deeper insights. To paraphrase Boris Groys talking about Joseph Beuys, the things made are more like relics of his existence rather than artworks. The output of an artist can function in many different ways. Sometimes the work and the artist are equally exceptional like in the case of Picasso perhaps. The idea of an artwork existing as the transformed input into output, or the waste perhaps would work well with the Italian artist Piero Manzoni and his canned shit artwork.