Tear jerker.

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Tear jerker.

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:I just saw Tommy on TV again, after decades.

Please share with me the majesty of this excerpt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNGIKuCiv8
Mmmm. Oliver Reed. :)
Quite a contrast to The Faith Tones.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:I just saw Tommy on TV again, after decades.

Please share with me the majesty of this excerpt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNGIKuCiv8
Mmmm. Oliver Reed. :)
Quite a contrast to The Faith Tones.
I'm still wondering whose bed it was. :?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I'm still wondering whose bed it was. :?
Okay, let's unpick this: The scene starts with a sleepy little boy kneeling beside his Daddy, his Daddy's bed. The kid rambles on about kites and God etc. The next thing we know it's the kid who's in bed and the Daddy, his Daddy, is walking out of the room. Either they swapped places or the guy who wrote the words screwed up.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I'm still wondering whose bed it was. :?
Okay, let's unpick this: The scene starts with a sleepy little boy kneeling beside his Daddy, his Daddy's bed. The kid rambles on about kites and God etc. The next thing we know it's the kid who's in bed and the Daddy, his Daddy, is walking out of the room. Either they swapped places or the guy who wrote the words screwed up.
The creepy weirdness of it has given me a headache. I'm off to bed.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I'm off to bed.
Don't forget to pray. :)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I found it creepy, and was less than pleased with you dear Harbal, dear Harbal, for putting it in my head. I was expecting a good laugh, and instead I got this creepy recording of a father totally self-absorbed in a son calling him "Daddy"... much the way he probably thought God should be revered. I didn't notice how the bedroom situation got twisted, I was just wanting it to END. What kind of father doesn't comfort his crying son -- and instead talks in that creepy, slow voice, and then starts crying himself because he doesn't know his OWN daddy (God)? Delusional and self-absorbed. You see how this insanity is passed down through generations?

I bet Bob owns this album.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote:I found it creepy, and was less than pleased with you dear Harbal, dear Harbal, for putting it in my head. I was expecting a good laugh, and instead I got this creepy recording of a father totally self-absorbed in a son calling him "Daddy"... much the way he probably thought God should be revered. I didn't notice how the bedroom situation got twisted, I was just wanting it to END. What kind of father doesn't comfort his crying son -- and instead talks in that creepy, slow voice, and then starts crying himself because he doesn't know his OWN daddy (God)? Delusional and self-absorbed. You see how this insanity is passed down through generations?

I feel so validated for ignoring it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote:I found it creepy, and was less than pleased with you dear Harbal, dear Harbal, for putting it in my head. I was expecting a good laugh, and instead I got this creepy recording of a father totally self-absorbed in a son calling him "Daddy"... much the way he probably thought God should be revered. I didn't notice how the bedroom situation got twisted, I was just wanting it to END. What kind of father doesn't comfort his crying son -- and instead talks in that creepy, slow voice, and then starts crying himself because he doesn't know his OWN daddy (God)? Delusional and self-absorbed. You see how this insanity is passed down through generations?

Hmm. Interesting. Perhaps he was talking to himself all along, which would explain the bed mix-up.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote:I found it creepy, and was less than pleased with you
Yes, I agree. There is something sinister and, as you say, downright creepy about it but there's also something hilariously funny about it and that's what interested me.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Harbal wrote:Some things can make you laugh and some things can make you cry. Here is one of those rare things that can do both at the same time. It certainly made me laugh till I cried.
Nah I couldn't get it. Maybe not my sort of humour.

But you might like this one. I used to play it to my kids. Even now it still cracks me up. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM
vegetariantaxidermy

A_Seagull wrote:
Harbal wrote:Some things can make you laugh and some things can make you cry. Here is one of those rare things that can do both at the same time. It certainly made me laugh till I cried.

But you might like this one. I used to play it to my kids. Even now it still cracks me up. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM
:lol: That is pretty funny. 'When I'm alone I 'beep' myself'. The other one is unintentionally funny for all kinds of reasons that really can't be explained. Either it's 'got' or it's 'not'.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

A_Seagull wrote:
It's not supposed to be humour, it was done completely in earnest. That, in conjunction with the content, is what makes it funny.
But you might like this one. I used to play it to my kids. Even now it still cracks me up.
This, on the other hand, is supposed to be funny. If it is your sort of humour, you will think it funny. I don't think it's funny because it's not my sort of humour. The point is: while they are both funny to someone, they are funny for entirely different reasons.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

A_Seagull wrote:
Especially when its part of a collection of his work kept in your closet. :P
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote:
A_Seagull wrote:
Chuckle. I bet there are a lot of closets with Jim Reeves in them.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

attofishpi wrote:
A_Seagull wrote:
Chuckle. I bet there are a lot of closets with Jim Reeves in them.
Hahaha - the thought puts goosebumps up the back of my neck!