Poignant Verse

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Poignant Verse

Post by Harbal »

The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carroll always makes me cry. Carroll's incisive exploration of the betrayal of trust is remarkable.
Lacewing

Re: Poignant Verse

Post by Lacewing »

Don't cry, Harbal. You're going to get your Santa beard all soggy. When are you taking that off, by the way? It's time to start celebrating the New Year which none of us may survive.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote:the New Year which none of us may survive.
You could well be right, you could all end up being little oysters to Trumps walrus. Stay in your bed, Lacewing, with the wise oysters.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote:Stay in your bed, Lacewing, with the wise oysters.
That sounds like fun. Might as well have fun.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Those poor oysters. :(
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Those poor oysters. :(
I've never eaten an oyster and, because of Lewis Carroll, I never will.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Those poor oysters. :(
I've never eaten an oyster and, because of Lewis Carroll, I never will.
I had never read the poem until you posted this, but I've never eaten an oyster either. They look like a blob of mucous, and that doesn't scream 'food' to me.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I had never read the poem until you posted this, but I've never eaten an oyster either. They look like a blob of mucous, and that doesn't scream 'food' to me.
They are supposed to be aphrodisiacs but they look more inclined to send you rushing to the bathroom rather than the bedroom.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I've never eaten an oyster either. They look like a blob of mucous, and that doesn't scream 'food' to me.
I agree. I did try one once, when some alcohol was making me feel experimental. I see no need to do that again. Same with trying haggis. Not my thing.
Harbal wrote:They are supposed to be aphrodisiacs but they look more inclined to send you rushing to the bathroom rather than the bedroom.
May you always be able to make such an important distinction. :)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote:I did try one once, when some alcohol was making me feel experimental. I see no need to do that again. Same with trying haggis.
The great thing about haggis is that if you don't want to eat it you can stick a few short lengths of tube in it and it turns into a traditional Scottish musical instrument. The downside to this is that, once you hear the sound it makes, you'll wish you had eaten it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
Lacewing wrote:I did try one once, when some alcohol was making me feel experimental. I see no need to do that again. Same with trying haggis.
The great thing about haggis is that if you don't want to eat it you can stick a few short lengths of tube in it and it turns into a traditional Scottish musical instrument. The downside to this is that, once you hear the sound it makes, you'll wish you had eaten it.
The poor bagpipes. They just never quite manage to make that top note. I'm a huge fan of the uilleann pipes though. A much more pleasing and evocative sound to me.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

In spite of all the jokes, bagpipes are great when played with the right music and instruments that blend...nicely done here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--2Y0k ... dA&index=1
Greta

Post by Greta »

Harbal wrote:The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carroll always makes me cry. Carroll's incisive exploration of the betrayal of trust is remarkable.
Funny the things that get to you. I am not so affected, but I can see how one could be. The poor innocent, trusting oysters etc.

What gets me is mammal parents (mostly mothers but not always) losing their offspring. Documentaries showing animal mothers watching their offspring being eaten, or trying to revive their dead baby, or villages or refugees or children with terminal disease. All those things get me reaching for tissues. Even writing this :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote:
Harbal wrote:The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carroll always makes me cry. Carroll's incisive exploration of the betrayal of trust is remarkable.
Funny the things that get to you. I am not so affected, but I can see how one could be. The poor innocent, trusting oysters etc.

What gets me is mammal parents (usually especially mothers but not always) losing their offspring. Documentaries showing animal mothers watching their offspring being eaten, or trying to revive their dead baby, or villages or refugees or children with terminal disease. All those things get me reaching for tissues. Even writing this :lol:
The worst I've seen, that still haunts me, is the lion cub whose back legs had been ruined by an encounter with a hyena, I think. He couldn't walk, and kept crying for his mother after she had to walk away. I think wildlife filmmakers must be the hardest people around. They always say 'we can't interfere'. Oh right. Like humans NEVER interfere. They are 'interfering' just by filming it, chasing around in jeeps after animals, with cameras on tripods, hoping for just such occurrences.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Greta wrote:The poor innocent, trusting oysters etc.
They were so happy and excited, Greta. Just imagine how hard their little legs must have been working just to keep up. And for what? Just so a fat walrus and a sour faced carpenter could have a beach snack, the bastards.