Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Conde Lucanor

Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by Conde Lucanor »

The Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 has just been awarded to Bob Dylan "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition". Isn't this the flag on top of the hill for mass culture? Aren't the gentleman's achievements a little bit overrated, overblown in the wind? Are we out of real prose writers or poets, so we have to look for Grammy winners?
Walker

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by Walker »

Why not. The world is already a bit fatootsed anyway.

I nominate Joni Mitchell

Sex Kills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGvJ_sssJg
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Walker wrote:Why not. The world is already a bit fatootsed anyway.

I nominate Joni Mitchell

Sex Kills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGvJ_sssJg
Hey, she's from my present home town, Saskatoon. I once knew a friend who married into the family too!
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Conde Lucanor wrote:The Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 has just been awarded to Bob Dylan "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition". Isn't this the flag on top of the hill for mass culture? Aren't the gentleman's achievements a little bit overrated, overblown in the wind? Are we out of real prose writers or poets, so we have to look for Grammy winners?
His writing IS worth the prize. You might be missing something about interpretation of his works and/or to some cultural distinctions you might not care for? What particularly were you disappointed with? It appears on the surface that you think that poetry has to be fixed to some format, like prose. Music can do this but is how and why classical music suits that style. It's story telling which is the past's form of movies + tv + etc... .

[A chamber musician, for instance, was literally a private sub-orchestra set in some wealthy patrons' home. I'm glad we have the luxury of simple music player with headphones to enjoy the same pleasure. "Prose" is like the relatively obsolete Chamber musician and is still adored by those who like and can afford to go to operas.] Does your preference here hint that you like Operas? (just curious)
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

It's silly, those tards in Sweden gives random people awards left and right..
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

HexHammer wrote:It's silly, those tards in Sweden gives random people awards left and right..
I agree. Let's nominate everyone in the world for a Nobel. For the 'least noble', we'll grant them the Nobel Prize for just being lucky (or unlucky?) to still be alive.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

The Nobel Prize committee have definitely been scraping the bottom of the barrel in desperately trying to find someone worthy to hand there prizes to, especially so in its allocations for literature and peace. The prize is now worth more as money and far less as the most renowned award for merit in the world.

I read a number of Bob Dylan's more famous lyrics. Nothing special here with only a slight facility for words and rhyme, not remotely close to approaching a great poetic talent which looks to be extinct in any case. Still, a lot of poems on poetry forums are much superior to Dylan's.

As far as distinction is concerned the Nobel Prize is more reflective of copper than gold. Throughout the years they only continue to debase themselves. What the Nobel Prize panel truly merit is a thumbs-down award for bad judgement.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Is this the most you have to worry about? Who gives a crap about Nobel prizes anyway? I mean, Obama won the peace prize ffs. The guy who discovered DNA fingerprinting, which changed forensic science forever, hasn't received one. C C Paterson never won, and he selflessly saved millions of lives with his relentless quest to prove the lethal effects of lead, AND he worked out the age of the earth.
vegetariantaxidermy

Dubious wrote:The Nobel Prize committee have definitely been scraping the bottom of the barrel in desperately trying to find someone worthy to hand there prizes to, especially so in its allocations for literature and peace. The prize is now worth more as money and far less as the most renowned award for merit in the world.

I read a number of Bob Dylan's more famous lyrics. Nothing special here with only a slight facility for words and rhyme, not remotely close to approaching a great poetic talent which looks to be extinct in any case. Still, a lot of poems on poetry forums are much superior to Dylan's.

As far as distinction is concerned the Nobel Prize is more reflective of copper than gold. Throughout the years they only continue to debase themselves. What the Nobel Prize panel truly merit is a thumbs-down award for bad judgement.
Totally disagree. His poetry was evocative and accessible and he was able to turn it into beautiful songs.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Dubious wrote:The Nobel Prize committee have definitely been scraping the bottom of the barrel in desperately trying to find someone worthy to hand there prizes to, especially so in its allocations for literature and peace. The prize is now worth more as money and far less as the most renowned award for merit in the world.

Totally disagree. His poetry was evocative and accessible and he was able to turn it into beautiful songs.
Not a problem, to each his own. Personally, I think his poetry is half clumsy. But If you think its that good so be it. Being merely evocative and accessible shouldn't make it Nobel Prize material...but the NP committee obviously feels as you do. As you say "Who cares!"
vegetariantaxidermy

Dubious wrote:

Not a problem, to each his own. Personally, I think his poetry is half clumsy. But If you think its that good so be it. Being merely evocative and accessible shouldn't make it Nobel Prize material...but the NP committee obviously feels as you do. As you say "Who cares!"
I don't know what 'Nobel Prize material' is. I don't have a lot of respect for whoever chooses the prizes. I doubt if Shakespeare would win either.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dubious wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Totally disagree. His poetry was evocative and accessible and he was able to turn it into beautiful songs.
I don't know what 'Nobel Prize material' is. I don't have a lot of respect for whoever chooses the prizes. I doubt if Shakespeare would win either.
If you're too good you'd probably be over the heads of the committee members.
vegetariantaxidermy

Dubious wrote:
Dubious wrote:
If you're too good you'd probably be over the heads of the committee members.
Like the Booker prize books--the more unreadable you are the more likely you are to win. :D
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Fuck Bob Dylan, what about Dylan Thomas?

If you check our the list of Laureat's for literature many seem to be quite obscure.

I'm no expert at literature. But I only recognise about a quarter of those awarded.
I'm horrified to see that Churchill was awarded the same prize.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

he sings through his nose so they had to make it literature...

-Imp