Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by Dubious »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Dubious wrote: It's not unexpected that an article like this would be denigrated by those who stupidly still believe that Churchill saved the Western World or that it was Hitler's ambition to conquer it.
An interesting and ironic point to remember is that those countries that were supposedly being 'saved' from Hitler (Poland, Romania, Czechlovakia etc.) ended up being thrown under the bus and under the rule of possibly the most evil man who ever lived, Joseph Stalin.
...compliments of Roosevelt and Churchill who practically hero worshiped Stalin. He must have laughed himself crazy thinking about these two clowns.
Throng

Post by Throng »

I don't know what criteria is used to select Nobel Prize winners like Bob Dylan, but seeing that his songs were of great cultural influence and the Nobel Prize institution is necessarily congruent with broader social narratives, it is of little surprise that Dylan's discursive influence swayed the decision of the Nobel committee.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Throng wrote:I don't know what criteria is used to select Nobel Prize winners like Bob Dylan, but seeing that his songs were of great cultural influence and the Nobel Prize institution is necessarily congruent with broader social narratives, it is of little surprise that Dylan's discursive influence swayed the decision of the Nobel committee.
The media the past two days has been flooded with justifications for Dylan getting the award. For me, that says a lot of how unjustified it was.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Dubious wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:Einstein did not receive a Nobel prize for his most significant theories of relativity but oddly for his theory on the photoelectric effect.
Henri Bergson had much to do with why Einstein did not receive the Nobel prize for Relativity in 1922. Bergson's influence was much greater than Einstein's at the time. His own philosophical theory of time did not agree with Einstein' s physical theory which influenced the decision by the Nobel prize committee to render accordingly. Bergson was simply more famous and 'established' than Einstein during the period and that clinched it.
Who?

I never heard of Henri Bergson. Einstein was certainly famous by then.

I just found this: Why Einstein never received the Nobel

There is no mention of your Bergson and from his own Wikipedia entry, I don't see he has any connection.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Scott Mayers wrote:
Dubious wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:Einstein did not receive a Nobel prize for his most significant theories of relativity but oddly for his theory on the photoelectric effect.
Henri Bergson had much to do with why Einstein did not receive the Nobel prize for Relativity in 1922. Bergson's influence was much greater than Einstein's at the time. His own philosophical theory of time did not agree with Einstein' s physical theory which influenced the decision by the Nobel prize committee to render accordingly. Bergson was simply more famous and 'established' than Einstein during the period and that clinched it.
Who?

There is no mention of your Bergson and from his own Wikipedia entry, I don't see he has any connection.
http://nautil.us/issue/35/boundaries/th ... relativity
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Dubious wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:
Dubious wrote:
Who?

http://nautil.us/issue/35/boundaries/th ... relativity
Thank you for the link. I understand the essential concern of Bergson and it fits within what is not mentioned in that article I linked you to. It is more about the uncertainty of the division (or demarcation) of science versus philosophy of which I DO think coincide. Theoretical physics has been pretty much divorced from science with the exception of those now who already HAVE an official science degree which is somewhat discriminatory of 'free' thinking. I also understand Einstein's disappointments regarding it. But the 'prize' part was not of much interest in him other than the money and to which he had not planned to keep for himself anyways. So its not a big deal NOT to have officially won.

I don't think official prizes as such ARE necessarily valid anyways. They just act as a means to encourage those to approach certain things in science (more practical than theoretical) that is not always as 'rewarding' as other professions financially.

P.S. This would be a good thread topic on its own! I'm going to read up more on this and if you or another hasn't opened a thread on it I will then.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Scott Mayers wrote:
P.S. This would be a good thread topic on its own! I'm going to read up more on this and if you or another hasn't opened a thread on it I will then.
I won't. It's not likely anyone else will. The field is yours.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Scott Mayers wrote:
I dont think official prizes as such ARE necessarily valid anyways. They just act as a means to encourage those to approach
certain things in science ( more practical than theoretical ) that is not always as rewarding as other professions financially

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ed-shakeup

Interesting Guardian Piece : Nobel Prizes Need Shake Up : Jim Al Khalili
Last edited by surreptitious57 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Dubious wrote:
Pluto wrote:It is possible that it is a form of payback for coming over to the darkside of power. The system openly welcomes the voice of the anti-establishment 60s. Do an advert for a car brand, show you are open, then in come the prizes. He is and was one of us all along.

The guy at 360 CNN something Cooper, was similar in that he spoke genuinely at the lack of assistance at hurricane katrina. The people at home felt the justice against power, something opened up, but then was closed after he was given (as a reward) his own show. This then would harness him and in the end totally corrupt him to the side of power. So much so, can this guy now be trusted by power to speak the right speak that they offer him head controller of 'debate' at trump and clinton get togethers. Over.
You mean Anderson Cooper. Most people succumb to the Status Quo. It just makes life so much easier. Those who strive against it usually get destroyed. Many start off with the best intentions but eventually lose themselves in self-interest...the main reason why nothing is going to get better until forced at which time we will already have 'crossed the line'. Humans are the kind of species who invariably require catastrophes to teach them. One day we're going to encounter one we can't escape from (a Black-hole catastrophe) and put our true level of intelligence in perspective.

Let's hope no one else in the Universe is watching! That would be embarrassing!
Yes, Anderson Cooper. Good point. You made me think of this:
http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

surreptitious57 wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:
I dont think official prizes as such ARE necessarily valid anyways. They just act as a means to encourage those to approach
certain things in science ( more practical than theoretical ) that is not always as rewarding as other professions financially

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ed-shakeup
Thank you. I agree with Al-Khalili. I've been approaching my own education in a broad foundational way and have noticed the extreme advantages of combining things by interrelating the sciences better. There is a tendency for segregation, like the army versus the navy, or air forces, in our world where it is obviously more advantageous to support one another by the common grounds.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: Then you're in a special place. Her birthplace should be enshrined. Joni is the best.
Yes, her songwriting is phenomenal. 'The circle game' could move a hardened heart to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9VoLCO-d6U

Btw, she didn't like Bob Dylan at all--called him a plagiarist (although she did back-track on that).
Editing on the fly before the gossips get out-of-hand. Good philosophy.

With her keen ears Mitchell does a good imitation of Dylan’s voice, but sadly such sounds confound a web search for your listening pleasure. Whether she likes or dislikes, she listens.

She says her conscious attempt as a lyricist is to form word pictures. Obviously this stylistic approach objectively dovetails with folks’ predilections to visualize in snapshots. She has the practical outlook typical of artists and craftsmen. Had she been less creative she certainly has the brain power to have taken the millions-less path of humdrum abstractions.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Editing on the fly before the gossips get out-of-hand. Good philosophy.

With her keen ears Mitchell does a good imitation of Dylan’s voice, but sadly such sounds confound a web search for your listening pleasure. Whether she likes or dislikes, she listens.

She says her conscious attempt as a lyricist is to form word pictures. Obviously this stylistic approach objectively dovetails with folks’ predilections to visualize in snapshots. She has the practical outlook typical of artists and craftsmen. Had she been less creative she certainly has the brain power to have taken the millions-less path of humdrum abstractions.
Meaningless pretentious tripe. Speak English man!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Conde Lucanor wrote:
Throng wrote:I don't know what criteria is used to select Nobel Prize winners like Bob Dylan, but seeing that his songs were of great cultural influence and the Nobel Prize institution is necessarily congruent with broader social narratives, it is of little surprise that Dylan's discursive influence swayed the decision of the Nobel committee.
The media the past two days has been flooded with justifications for Dylan getting the award. For me, that says a lot of how unjustified it was.
The unprecedented also draws media attention.

The criteria for the the Al Gore and Barrack Obama awards weren’t based on accomplishments, which besmirches other awarded fields, so who knows what political intrigue may have been involved with Dylan’s high honor.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: Editing on the fly before the gossips get out-of-hand. Good philosophy.

I did a careful review. All of these words are English words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwbqIlj-BiI

To write in word pictures is a significant insight.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote:

I did a careful review. All of these words are English words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwbqIlj-BiI

To write in word pictures is a significant insight.
Corporate-speak uses English words too--they are just assembled in such a way as to make them meaningless, yet sound clever to the unwary.
I suppose it's a skill of sorts.