Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I have a feeling Bob won't be too thrilled about it anyway. As far as 'awards' go, when it comes to that level of talent awards are moot--like awarding a grammy to Mozart or Beethoven. If anything, an award lessens truly great work. Awards are for egotists--you only have to look at the repugnant displays of self-love at the Oscars etc. to see that.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Fuck Bob Dylan, what about Dylan Thomas?
I'm horrified to see that Churchill was awarded the same prize.
I wouldn't say fuck Bob Dylan but he's no match for the likes of Dylan Thomas who's not even inscribed in the poet laureate league. To repeat, some of the verse written on poetry forums far exceed in talent the best I've read of Bob Dylan.

What caused something of a shock was you being horrified that Churchill was on the list...the name I've always considered least worthy to have received ANY fucking prize at all. As a Brit I thought you'd be more likely to bow before his statue. There's this consensus of Churchill's greatness due to a whole number of fawning and applauding biographies but the real story is a very different one.
Impenitent wrote:he sings through his nose so they had to make it literature...
I can accept the lyrics as one usually does in most songs but that nasal crooning is something I can't bear to listen to.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dubious wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Fuck Bob Dylan, what about Dylan Thomas?
I'm horrified to see that Churchill was awarded the same prize.
I wouldn't say fuck Bob Dylan but he's no match for the likes of Dylan Thomas who's not even inscribed in the poet laureate league. To repeat, some of the verse written on poetry forums far exceed in talent the best I've read of Bob Dylan.

What caused something of a shock was you being horrified that Churchill was on the list...the name I've always considered least worthy to have received ANY fucking prize at all. As a Brit I thought you'd be more likely to bow before his statue. There's this consensus of Churchill's greatness due to a whole number of fawning and applauding biographies but the real story is a very different one.
I can accept the lyrics as one usually does in most songs but that nasal crooning is something I can't bear to listen to.
Churchill, like me he was half American. Unlike me, (though you may disagree) was a cad of the first order; a bad commander and a racist p****.

In Afghanistan he described how ”every tribesman caught was speared or cut down at once”. In Kenya, he oversaw the use of concentration camps, mutilation, rape and castration. Elsewhere, he argued that ”100,000 degenerate Britons should be forcibly sterilised”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 18317.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/we- ... 45671.html

Ever heard of the Bengal Famine, in which 3-4 million people died whilst he was in office?
... the massacre of Greeks in Athens in 1943?
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote: What caused something of a shock was you being horrified that Churchill was on the list...the name I've always considered least worthy to have received ANY fucking prize at all. As a Brit I thought you'd be more likely to bow before his statue. There's this consensus of Churchill's greatness due to a whole number of fawning and applauding biographies but the real story is a very different one.
Churchill, like me he was half American. Unlike me, (though you may disagree) was a cad of the first order; a bad commander and a racist p****.

In Afghanistan he described how ”every tribesman caught was speared or cut down at once”. In Kenya, he oversaw the use of concentration camps, mutilation, rape and castration. Elsewhere, he argued that ”100,000 degenerate Britons should be forcibly sterilised”

Ever heard of the Bengal Famine, in which 3-4 million people died whilst he was in office?
... the massacre of Greeks in Athens in 1943?[/quote]
Yes, he was a ****, but people seem to like cunts.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Churchill, like me he was half American. Unlike me, (though you may disagree) was a cad of the first order; a bad commander and a racist p****.

Interesting articles though I'm not in complete accord with the first one but be that as it may. Here's a fairly long essay on Churchill with a lot of supporting notes at the end. I'll just quote the final paragraph a summary and judgement of the details that preceded it:
There is a way of looking at Winston Churchill that is very tempting: that he was a deeply flawed creature, who was summoned at a critical moment to do battle with a uniquely appalling evil, and whose very flaws contributed to a glorious victory — in a way, like Merlin, in C.S. Lewis's great Christian novel, That Hideous Strength.169 Such a judgment would, I believe, be superficial. A candid examination of his career, I suggest, yields a different conclusion: that, when all is said and done, Winston Churchill was a Man of Blood and a politico without principle, whose apotheosis serves to corrupt every standard of honesty and morality in politics and history.
For the whole article: https://mises.org/library/rethinking-churchill

It's not unexpected that an article like this would be denigrated by those who stupidly still believe that Churchill saved the Western World or that it was Hitler's ambition to conquer it.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Scott Mayers wrote:
Conde Lucanor wrote:The Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 has just been awarded to Bob Dylan "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition". Isn't this the flag on top of the hill for mass culture? Aren't the gentleman's achievements a little bit overrated, overblown in the wind? Are we out of real prose writers or poets, so we have to look for Grammy winners?
His writing IS worth the prize. You might be missing something about interpretation of his works and/or to some cultural distinctions you might not care for? What particularly were you disappointed with? It appears on the surface that you think that poetry has to be fixed to some format, like prose. Music can do this but is how and why classical music suits that style. It's story telling which is the past's form of movies + tv + etc... .

[A chamber musician, for instance, was literally a private sub-orchestra set in some wealthy patrons' home. I'm glad we have the luxury of simple music player with headphones to enjoy the same pleasure. "Prose" is like the relatively obsolete Chamber musician and is still adored by those who like and can afford to go to operas.] Does your preference here hint that you like Operas? (just curious)
Honestly, I have nothing against the man as a musician and I might care something about his lyrics. That he is praised as someone who stood apart from the rest in songwriting and influenced other musicians, I have no problem with that. Let him have many awards for it. But Nobel prize? Please... pretending to find poetry in pop music's lyrics is like finding drama in TV soap operas.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Churchill, like me he was half American. Unlike me, (though you may disagree) was a cad of the first order; a bad commander and a racist p****.

Let's not forget Dresden, either.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Einstein did not receive a Nobel prize for his most significant theories of relativity but oddly for his theory on the photoelectric effect.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Scott Mayers wrote:
Walker wrote:Why not. The world is already a bit fatootsed anyway.

I nominate Joni Mitchell

Sex Kills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGvJ_sssJg
Hey, she's from my present home town, Saskatoon. I once knew a friend who married into the family too!
Then you're in a special place. Her birthplace should be enshrined. Joni is the best.

Some light word-play

Ray’s Dad’s Cadillac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syl__ddoauw

A religious flavor here, which just may be the straw that nixes her Nobel nomination.
The times they are a changin.

Joni Mitchell - Slouching Towards Bethlehem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1j0j4r_gnw
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Scott Mayers wrote:Einstein did not receive a Nobel prize for his most significant theories of relativity but oddly for his theory on the photoelectric effect.
Henri Bergson had much to do with why Einstein did not receive the Nobel prize for Relativity in 1922. Bergson's influence was much greater than Einstein's at the time. His own philosophical theory of time did not agree with Einstein' s physical theory which influenced the decision by the Nobel prize committee to render accordingly. Bergson was simply more famous and 'established' than Einstein during the period and that clinched it.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Conde Lucanor wrote:

Let's not forget Dresden, either.
When queried by a reporter on the Dresden bombing Churchill couldn't live up to it and said he thought the Americans had done it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote: Then you're in a special place. Her birthplace should be enshrined. Joni is the best.
Yes, her songwriting is phenomenal. 'The circle game' could move a hardened heart to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9VoLCO-d6U

Btw, she didn't like Bob Dylan at all--called him a plagiarist (although she did back-track on that).
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

It is possible that it is a form of payback for coming over to the darkside of power. The system openly welcomes the voice of the anti-establishment 60s. Do an advert for a car brand, show you are open, then in come the prizes. He is and was one of us all along.

The guy at 360 CNN something Cooper, was similar in that he spoke genuinely at the lack of assistance at hurricane katrina. The people at home felt the justice against power, something opened up, but then was closed after he was given (as a reward) his own show. This then would harness him and in the end totally corrupt him to the side of power. So much so, can this guy now be trusted by power to speak the right speak that they offer him head controller of 'debate' at trump and clinton get togethers. Over.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Pluto wrote:It is possible that it is a form of payback for coming over to the darkside of power. The system openly welcomes the voice of the anti-establishment 60s. Do an advert for a car brand, show you are open, then in come the prizes. He is and was one of us all along.

The guy at 360 CNN something Cooper, was similar in that he spoke genuinely at the lack of assistance at hurricane katrina. The people at home felt the justice against power, something opened up, but then was closed after he was given (as a reward) his own show. This then would harness him and in the end totally corrupt him to the side of power. So much so, can this guy now be trusted by power to speak the right speak that they offer him head controller of 'debate' at trump and clinton get togethers. Over.
You mean Anderson Cooper. Most people succumb to the Status Quo. It just makes life so much easier. Those who strive against it usually get destroyed. Many start off with the best intentions but eventually lose themselves in self-interest...the main reason why nothing is going to get better until forced at which time we will already have 'crossed the line'. Humans are the kind of species who invariably require catastrophes to teach them. One day we're going to encounter one we can't escape from (a Black-hole catastrophe) and put our true level of intelligence in perspective.

Let's hope no one else in the Universe is watching! That would be embarrassing!
vegetariantaxidermy

Dubious wrote: It's not unexpected that an article like this would be denigrated by those who stupidly still believe that Churchill saved the Western World or that it was Hitler's ambition to conquer it.
An interesting and ironic point to remember is that those countries that were supposedly being 'saved' from Hitler (Poland, Romania, Czechlovakia etc.) ended up being thrown under the bus and under the rule of possibly the most evil man who ever lived, Joseph Stalin.