What is an Artist?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Terrapin Station

Re: What is an Artist?

Post by Terrapin Station »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:FFS. I'm sure you can find just as many sites that say the opposite. Besides, you are a bloody 'relativist' aren't you? What do you care about anything?
But doesn't the fact that people consider him a romantic composer in those examples, which are all academic-oriented, by the way, amount to it being the case that people consider him a romantic composer? I don't mean universally, but (some) people do consider him a romantic composer, so "people do not consider him a romantic composer" is incorrect.

And yes, I'm a relativist, but as I've told you every time you bring that up, you don't seem to understand what that amounts to.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:FFS. I'm sure you can find just as many sites that say the opposite. Besides, you are a bloody 'relativist' aren't you? What do you care about anything?
But doesn't the fact that people consider him a romantic composer in those examples, which are all academic-oriented, by the way, amount to it being the case that people consider him a romantic composer? I don't mean universally, but (some) people do consider him a romantic composer, so "people do not consider him a romantic composer" is incorrect.

And yes, I'm a relativist, but as I've told you every time you bring that up, you don't seem to understand what that amounts to.
They might find him romantic, but he's not a Romantic.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Just go and listen to it all. Make up your own mind.
I think I'll just stick with music where all that matters is what it sounds like.
Terrapin Station

But all I had asked you about earlier was whether people consider him to be/classify him as a Romantic period composer. You can think that they're wrong, but nevertheless, people consider him (again, not universally) to be/classify him as a Romantic period composer.

Personally, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer about that sort of stuff. There are just common or conventional stances on it and uncommon or unconventional stances.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Terrapin Station wrote: Personally, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer
That sounds like an acceptable compromise to me. Let's all agree on that and put this thing to bed.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Just go and listen to it all. Make up your own mind.
I think I'll just stick with music where all that matters is what it sounds like.
The more you listen to it the more you understand it and appreciate it. Some studies have shown that listening to great music makes you brighter and more creative. If you can't be bothered then that's fine.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
The more you listen to it the more you understand it
I don't look on music as something that needs to be understood and I wouldn't want to start looking at it that way. Besides, I'm familiar enough with Beethoven to know that it's never going to be my cup of tea.
Some studies have shown that listening to great music makes you brighter and more creative.
I think my idea of great music is probably different to yours but I don't see any need to criticise each other's taste.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
The more you listen to it the more you understand it
I don't look on music as something that needs to be understood and I wouldn't want to start looking at it that way. Besides, I'm familiar enough with Beethoven to know that it's never going to be my cup of tea.
Some studies have shown that listening to great music makes you brighter and more creative.
I think my idea of great music is probably different to yours but I don't see any need to criticise each other's taste.
By great I wasn't meaning in the bastardised American sense. And who's stopping you from listening to what you want to? I listen to all kinds of music. You were the one who joined a discussion that you had no interest in. I think that's known as trolling. :P
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: By great I wasn't meaning in the bastardised American sense.
I think we both probably have a similar interpretation of "great".
And who's stopping you from listening to what you want to?
I wasn't implying that anyone was.
You were the one who joined a discussion that you had no interest in.
Yes, I know. I'm afraid I couldn't stop myself from having a dig at what seemed to me to be a pointless dispute over labelling, it's just that I dug myself in more than I meant to.
I think that's known as trolling.
Trolling is such an ugly word, VT, I would prefer to describe it as being playfully disruptive. I only got involved to get back at Hobbes for something he said to me in another thread but the bastard didn't have the decency to turn up and be insulted. Sorry for any inconvenience, VT. :wink:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Terrapin Station wrote:What happened to the two conditions I specified? I didn't just say the word "framing."
The framing does not create the art. The work becomes art when the work transcends the frame. In a picture this can be done with form and color, such as a lighted stained glass window seen from a darked room. It can also happen with content. When you take a photograph, try to simultaneously frame a person, a natural object, a man-made object, and an animal. If you can’t get them all into the frame, get as many as you can. The viewer will supply the relationships that might make for transcendence of that frame, get a little uplift and voila, art.
Terrapin Station

Walker wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:What happened to the two conditions I specified? I didn't just say the word "framing."
The framing does not create the art. The work becomes art when the work transcends the frame. In a picture this can be done with form and color, such as a lighted stained glass window seen from a darked room. It can also happen with content. When you take a photograph, try to simultaneously frame a person, a natural object, a man-made object, and an animal. If you can’t get them all into the frame, get as many as you can. The viewer will supply the relationships that might make for transcendence of that frame, get a little uplift and voila, art.
Why didn't you answer "What happened to the two conditions I specified?" That wasn't a rhetorical question. I was hoping you'd answer why you just ignored the conditions I specified or whatever happened there.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote: Trolling is such an ugly word, VT, I would prefer to describe it as being playfully disruptive. I only got involved to get back at Hobbes for something he said to me in another thread but the bastard didn't have the decency to turn up and be insulted. Sorry for any inconvenience, VT. :wink:
:lol: :lol: Well I'm glad you are back to your old form.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Walker wrote:
Why didn't you answer "What happened to the two conditions I specified?" That wasn't a rhetorical question. I was hoping you'd answer why you just ignored the conditions I specified or whatever happened there.
Fully answered. All you have to do is understand, which may be difficult for a question junkie. Not really interested in why you don't understand, since even though the total possibilities of your limitations do have a limit, it's likely extensive. Also if possible, make the animal a chicken or a duck. For some reason they hold attention in this attention-seeking world, a least enough for folks to pause and maybe expand a bit.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Belinda wrote:I wish that I hadn't said that Beethoven was a Romantic composer as its seems that people here who probably know more than I about the history of music say not so. This is tangential anyway. (My excuse: I was thinking of B's use of the big orchestra and the emotionality of the pieces (e.g. Moonlight. Pathetique) )
It was (and still is) a fair statement. Whoever told you otherwise has no idea. The boundaries that defined each period were never perfectly delineated and periodization was an issue raised afterwards by historians and musicologists. Musicians themselves were not trying to make their work fit into a designated period.
Terrapin Station

Walker wrote:Fully answered. All you have to do is understand, which may be difficult for a question junkie. Not really interested in why you don't understand, since even though the total possibilities of your limitations do have a limit, it's likely extensive. Also if possible, make the animal a chicken or a duck. For some reason they hold attention in this attention-seeking world, a least enough for folks to pause and maybe expand a bit.
Ah, so you don't know how to answer simple questions. Okay.