What is an Artist?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: What is an Artist?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Belinda wrote:I wish that I hadn't said that Beethoven was a Romantic composer as its seems that people here who probably know more than I about the history of music say not so.
Beethoven is considered in the important in the transition from the Classical period to the Romantic period, which means that a lot of his works are considered Romantic period works. So whoever said that he wasn't a Romantic composer doesn't know what they're talking about. He wasn't only a Romantic composer, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't a Romantic composer.
The Romantic composers existed BECAUSE of Beethoven. That doesn't make him one of them.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The Romantic composers existed BECAUSE of Beethoven. That doesn't make him one of them.
What makes Beethoven a Romantic composer is that the bulk of his output is considered Romantic because of its musical characteristics. He didn't start out as a Romantic composer, but he fairly quickly transitioned to one.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Belinda wrote:I wish that I hadn't said that Beethoven was a Romantic composer
Is it important what category some authority or other arbitrarily puts things into? Unless it's your job to be concerned with these matters I can't see why it does matter. It's only blockheads like Hobbes, too preoccupied with trying to give the impression of being cultured, that can be bothered to read up on all the background. Categorising Music won't make any difference to what comes out of your speakers.
vegetariantaxidermy

Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The Romantic composers existed BECAUSE of Beethoven. That doesn't make him one of them.
What makes Beethoven a Romantic composer is that the bulk of his output is considered Romantic because of its musical characteristics. He didn't start out as a Romantic composer, but he fairly quickly transitioned to one.
I will let Hobbes deal with this nonsense.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
Belinda wrote:I wish that I hadn't said that Beethoven was a Romantic composer
Is it important what category some authority or other arbitrarily puts things into? Unless it's your job to be concerned with these matters I can't see why it does matter. It's only blockheads like Hobbes, too preoccupied with trying to give the impression of being cultured, that can be bothered to read up on all the background. Categorising Music won't make any difference to what comes out of your speakers.
There's not a lot of point in googling it. I've just listened to it all my life, and studied analysis, and he simply can't be lumped in with the Romantics.
It just isn't right! :)
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I will let Hobbes deal with this nonsense.
And I'm sure he will, just as soon as he's had the chance of a session on Wikipedia.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
And I'm sure he will, just as soon as he's had the chance of a session on Wikipedia.
I suspect there's been a fair bit of 'wiki-ing' going on here. :lol:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: There's not a lot of point in googling it. I've just listened to it all my life, and studied analysis, and he simply can't be lumped in with the Romantics.
It just isn't right! :)
I'm sure you're right, VT, or can I call you Vegtax? :) My post was meant solely to offend Hobbes and should not be taken heed of by anyone else.
Terrapin Station

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I will let Hobbes deal with this nonsense.
You're not disagreeing that Beethoven is typically considered a Romantic composer, are you? (You're just saying that the conventional classification of him as a Romantic composer is wrong, in other words.)
vegetariantaxidermy

Terrapin Station wrote:
You're not disagreeing that Beethoven is typically considered a Romantic composer, are you? (You're just saying that the conventional classification of him as a Romantic composer is wrong, in other words.)
He is not considered a Romantic composer.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote:
Exactly :lol:

PhilX
Terrapin Station

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
Here are some examples of him being considered a Romantic composer:

https://www.abebooks.com/Beethoven-Earl ... 6723092/bd
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... ntic_music
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~boris/maha/mu ... hoven.html
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

I can't stand this any longer. I need to know: Is Beethoven a romantic composer or isn't he? We must assemble a panel of the World's most eminent authorities on Beethoven and settle this vital issue without delay. Put global warming and brexit on the back burner and let's deal with this.
vegetariantaxidermy

Terrapin Station wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:You're not disagreeing that Beethoven is typically considered a Romantic composer, are you? (You're just saying that the conventional classification of him as a Romantic composer is wrong, in other words.)
Here are some examples of him being considered a Romantic composer:

https://www.abebooks.com/Beethoven-Earl ... 6723092/bd
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... ntic_music
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~boris/maha/mu ... hoven.html
FFS. I'm sure you can find just as many sites that say the opposite. Besides, you are a bloody 'relativist' aren't you? What do you care about anything?
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:I can't stand this any longer. I need to know: Is Beethoven a romantic composer or isn't he? We must assemble a panel of the World's most eminent authorities on Beethoven and settle this vital issue without delay. Put global warming and brexit on the back burner and let's deal with this.
Just go and listen to it all. Make up your own mind.