The Truth about Modern "Art"

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

The Truth about Modern "Art"

Post by attofishpi »

As always eloquent, Paul Joseph Watson sums up the wankerism of the modern "art" establishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANA8SI_KvqI
Pluto

Re: The Truth about Modern "Art"

Post by Pluto »

He's an idiot and making a living from youtube.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Pluto wrote:He's an idiot and making a living from youtube.
I consider an artist's impressions akin to opinions in general; there are a shitful of them, and only a few are really worth their weight.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

He said exactly everything you need to know about conceptual art in the first 2 minutes.

I think it is ironic that your imagination only runs to criticising him for making a living from YouTube, when you support people who make a fortune from putting shit on a pedestal. At least this guy raps well.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

No! He's actually right on whether he's making a living from youtube or not. The real bona fide idiots are those who think that a can of shit is a work of art. All you need is a name to make it so. But how to expect anyone who writes verbal shit and calls it poetry to know the difference.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

He said exactly everything you need to know about conceptual art in the first 2 minutes.
You've found a kindred spirit
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Dubious wrote:
No! He's actually right on whether he's making a living from youtube or not. The real bona fide idiots are those who think that a can of shit is a work of art. All you need is a name to make it so. But how to expect anyone who writes verbal shit and calls it poetry to know the difference.
Hmm dubious. If you don't think a can of artist's shit can be art then your view of life and the world is pedestrian and limited. And who are you to tell me about what poetry is.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dubious wrote:
Pluto wrote:If you don't think a can of artist's shit can be art then your view of life and the world is pedestrian and limited.
I never heard of one's Weltanschauung expressed like that before. My condolences! Nevertheless, there was obviously some input necessary by the artist in creating his output. It was a stroke of genius when he labeled it but seriously, how do we know that any reprocessed escargot feast was his creation; that our tribute to his genius wasn't misplaced? To confirm validity would require some DNA testing...before investing.
Pluto wrote:And who are you to tell me about what poetry is.
Most of contemporary poetry consists of nothing more than the accepted and acceptable flushing of the most poop-brained, disgusting verbal tripe imaginable to pollute a language. Verbal diarrhea with line breaks is ALL that's necessary to call it poetry.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Pluto wrote:... And who are you to tell me about what poetry is.
I'd have thought that was the point of the video? We are your objective standard not you. If not then art is just what you think it is and I'm an artist just because I think I am and by this definition I can be one without doing any actual work which makes it all pretty much a meaningless pursuit but then maybe it is.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

the title of this thread is no good to begin with, as philosophers we know the truth is not possible when thinking and talking of art, yet the title of the thread suggests it knows the truth, has it, and wants to share it. Truth is moving all the time, what was true tomorrow is not so yesterday. The title is kapot before you even go further. You build on a swamp of land.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Pluto wrote:the title of this thread is no good to begin with, as philosophers we know the truth is not possible when thinking and talking of art, yet the title of the thread suggests it knows the truth, has it, and wants to share it. Truth is moving all the time, what was true tomorrow is not so yesterday. The title is kapot before you even go further. You build on a swamp of land.
How about a swede with the pointy end to the ground swinging a lasso in an attempt to catch the refugees?

The Truth about modern 'art' is that there is far less regard for actual artistic skill than there is for content, which can and more often is...bollocks.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

I think artistic skill was just expanded and developed into areas where some think it isn't artistic skill anymore. Your idea with the lasso is a bit off as a lasso is known to catch cattle, so the piece would equate the refugees with cattle, but then maybe that's your point. For some reason I do like the idea of a swede having agency though.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Easy test: In 100 years, will it fetch $1,000,000 at auction?
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

attofishpi wrote:As always eloquent, Paul Joseph Watson sums up the wankerism of the modern "art" establishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANA8SI_KvqI
I enjoy Watson, but the big problem with his argument is that he's an objectivist. Objectivism is mistaken. There are no objective standards of quality, etc. Watson is definitely spot-on that elitism, "you just don't get it" etc. comments, and so on are bogus (well, usually bogus in the "you just don't get it" case--sometimes folks really don't get something) , and he's spot-on that appreciating certain works over others doesn't make anyone superior, but it's not because those works are objectively bad or anything like that. Folks who think they're (objectively) superior because they love Cy Twombly and hate Thomas Kinkade, and who think that Twombly is objectively better than Kinkade, are just as mistaken as Watson is in his objectivism. You'd be equally mistaken for thinking that you're (objectively) superior to someone else for preferring Rembrandt to Robert Florczak's smock. Nothing is objectively better than anything else. Like whatever you like. And dislike whatever you dislike.

(Personally, I like both Twombly and Kinkade, by the way.)