Really?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Really?

Post by Dalek Prime »

One million euros for a photo of a potato? All because of who the photographer is. For that price, I'd demand the potato that was photographed, and the photographers 'soul'. Please note, I wouldn't ask for the photographer's first born child. He can keep the rodent.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/27/arts/pota ... ion-euros/
kriswest

Re: Really?

Post by kriswest »

Human competition gets wierd when money and status gets involved. The person who purchased the photo was making a statement not admiring the bland photo. At least a huge part of me dearly hopes someone cannot possibly admire that photo. I prefer thinking a statement was being made.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Salesmen sell dreams, not potatoes, and not dreams of potatoes.

Dream of the statement you'll make, says the saleman. Smashing, what?
Greta

Post by Greta »

The potato dimly reflects light in the inky blackness like a browner cousin of Comet 67P 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko - the image representing a fusion of nature and technology that speaks of humanity's ambivalence as they reach for the stars while still yearning for their lost roots (and root vegetables). But seriously, it's just a moody shot of a frickin' potato and regular people take more interesting shots with their phones every day.

In the 70s, the Australian media ridiculed the Whitlam government's purchase of Jackson Pollock's Blue Poles for $1.3 million, yet today it's worth at least twenty times that figure. Alas, I do not see our sexily moodlit spud providing such a return for investment. The purchaser, like the buyer of the Virgin Mary toast on eBay for $28k, will need a sucker to avoid wasting their money and looking silly.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Did you hear the one about the city cousin, the country cousin, the German aquatic park and the potato?

The city cousin yells to his country kin, Not the back! Down the front! Down the front!