Artworks Not Yet Conceived

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Pluto

Re: Artworks Not Yet Conceived

Post by Pluto »

"why" is never a good question about art. It's like why did you decide to be born

Why is THE question and I think good in art. Why you made something is important. You haven't answered it. Art is self expression from the artist, but also I think more importantly it is a form of communication from artist to viewer, so you are wanting the viewer to look at a sculpture of twisted heads and hands, with a hand holding something at the top of this sculpture. Why do you want to show the viewer this, or isn't the viewer so important in this work, it is more about the artist wanting to create something for himself?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:
"why" is never a good question about art. It's like why did you decide to be born

Why is THE question and I think good in art. Why you made something is important. You haven't answered it. Art is self expression from the artist, but also I think more importantly it is a form of communication from artist to viewer, so you are wanting the viewer to look at a sculpture of twisted heads and hands, with a hand holding something at the top of this sculpture. Why do you want to show the viewer this, or isn't the viewer so important in this work, it is more about the artist wanting to create something for himself?
Have you never encountered the concept of the 'death of the author'? "Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them.", David Hume. Art is open to the interpretation of the viewer. If you can't find anything in the object I presented then I can't help you. Meanings are always personal. You could only understand why I made that piece of art if you knew my whole life history, as a piece of art that is in free form is the summation of a persons life expressed through the emotions during the time of creation. One reason alone why it is an empty experience to make art quickly.
Once made and presented the meaning is up to you
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Yes I am aware of Barthes. Saying ok I've made this, now you decide what it means, is fine and dandy, but I think it's also good for the artist to think about what s/he's doing and why. So as a viewer of your sculpture I would say why are showing me this?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:Yes I am aware of Barthes. Saying ok I've made this, now you decide what it means, is fine and dandy, but I think it's also good for the artist to think about what s/he's doing and why. So as a viewer of your sculpture I would say why are showing me this?
Unless I am present, you don't get to ask that. It has to stand alone on its own merits. When you view a piece of art, the artists intentions are not open to you, you have to draw them from the art.
Direct meanings metaphor and analogy are quite rare in art, and often are clumsy and obvious when they are. The finest ones are those that cannot expressed verbally - and that is why the sculpture exists - to express the inexpressible.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Frozen Girl

Doll with white material body, porcelain legs, arms and face, golden long curly hair, lying on her back looking up.

Go Up Go Higher

Grey step, bought from IKEA, a step up in grey hard plastic. Positioned in the middle of the floor. Encouraging viewer to use it and step up higher.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:Frozen Girl

Doll with white material body, porcelain legs, arms and face, golden long curly hair, lying on her back looking up.

Go Up Go Higher

Grey step, bought from IKEA, a step up in grey hard plastic. Positioned in the middle of the floor. Encouraging viewer to use it and step up higher.
Of you could just think someone had left those things there, and hopefully will come back to fetch them.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Yes that's possible. Here is a photo of the doll. It could be better if a small plinth of a similar size to her was made, that she could lie on. Just to raise her from the floor. So the thing that supports her is made by the artist, the doll, the principle focus of the work, was simply chosen by the artist. After Duchamp we can use (mass) manufactured items made by mechanical process to communicate a sense and idea. The idea being that all aspects of materiality and non materiality are open to the artist to be used in the communication of a whole. That the doll would reinforce and help show the artist's line of vision or aesthetic attitude towards an overall focused consensus of meaning.

Frozen Girl is static a replica of a living organism.
frozen girl.jpg
frozen girl.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
Last edited by Pluto on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

When does art stop, and shit dragged out of a skip start?
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Here is your problem. 'Shit' as you call it, dragged out of a skip, isn't. It is material to be used with which to communicate the artist's vision. The skip is the good friend of the artist.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:Here is your problem. 'Shit' as you call it, dragged out of a skip, isn't. It is material to be used with which to communicate the artist's vision. The skip is the good friend of the artist.
"Here's a Skip it contains rubbish: it is my best friend.", said the dog of Mickey Mouse.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

cache_3416755[1].png
cache_3416755[1].png (33.36 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:
cache_3416755[1].png
1) Safe Sex, 2) Pluto creaming himself
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I agree. That's a really interesting sculpture, Hobbes. Good stuff. And completely novel from every angle.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:I agree. That's a really interesting sculpture, Hobbes. Good stuff. And completely novel from every angle.
Thanks. I loved making it.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I agree. That's a really interesting sculpture, Hobbes. Good stuff. And completely novel from every angle.
Thanks. I loved making it.
Credit where credit is due. I wish I had that sort of talent, skill and vision.