Artworks Not Yet Conceived

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Pluto

Artworks Not Yet Conceived

Post by Pluto »

Boiling Money
A single ring plug-in cooking plate, on which a pan of water stands boiling and bubbling, inside the pan is money, notes from 5 through to 500 euros plus coins, are being boiled.

Narcissus
A round mirror on the floor with chalk-drawn footprints (of where to stand) drawn on the floor of the gallery next to the mirror. Standing in the footprints you look down and see your face reflected in the mirror

Cloud Cuckoo Land
An anvil placed in the middle of the gallery and on the narrowed end is fastened a piece of string which is elevated upwards by being attached to a makeshift effigy of a cloud made out of polythene and filled with helium

Promotion
Two separate (factual) events, the promotional description for a talk in New York and a drawing made in Europe are combined to create an imaginary event
Harbal

Re: Artworks Not Yet Conceived

Post by Harbal »

What would be the point of it?
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

The point is art. Art can have no point, but those works above are wanting to open a space up in which you can see outside your conditioning.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Ummm, to think it is to conceive it. So you should say "artworks yet to come to fruition".
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Pluto wrote:The point is art. Art can have no point, but those works above are wanting to open a space up in which you can see outside your conditioning.
In what way would looking at a pan full of money be of any benefit to anyone? What would it enable me to see that my conditioning is obscuring?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Harbal wrote:
Pluto wrote:The point is art. Art can have no point, but those works above are wanting to open a space up in which you can see outside your conditioning.
In what way would looking at a pan full of money be of any benefit to anyone? What would it enable me to see that my conditioning is obscuring?
Perhaps both how arrogant and fucked up the artist is.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

The pan of boiling money would be shown with other works which are conducive towards the same communication. One work doesn't explain the universe, but collectively the works point to (or inhabit) the place which the artist wants to make real.

And how can an artist be arrogant and fucked up for wanting to experiment with materials and concepts of register?
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

This work exists as a drawing on A4 but is yet to be re-made onto a large canvas. After the paris attacks on the 13th a drawing of the Eiffel tower crossed with a peace sign made the rounds online. I thought it interesting but not accurate, it was coming from a place too naïve, so I drew the tricolour in line with no colour, and saw it looked like prison bars to a window, this I thought was more accurate of the reality, that paris, or france had become a prison of sorts, that the people of france had been put behind metaphysical bars of restriction by its elected powers.
002.jpg
002.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
Last edited by Pluto on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

One of the great barriers to constructive thinking is a lack of imagination. (Philosophers are particularly prone to this.) So something that stimulates the imagination has to be good for thinking.
And one of the roles of art (just one) is to stimulate the imagination, by presenting the juxtaposition of seemingly disparate entities.
I like the idea of boiling money. :)
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Yes great. You see a boiling 500 euro note, yet to get it will burn fingers, so use other utensil to get it, maybe.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Pluto wrote:The pan of boiling money would be shown with other works which are conducive towards the same communication. One work doesn't explain the universe, but collectively the works point to (or inhabit) the place which the artist wants to make real.
In other words, you haven't got a clue, have you?

As far as the Paris attacks are concerned, the impications of it will be apparent to anyone who has given it any thought. Showing them a sheet of paper with two straight lines drawn on it will add nothing to their perception of the event.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Pluto wrote:Yes great. You see a boiling 500 euro note, yet to get it will burn fingers, so use other utensil to get it, maybe.
Or possibly a process of cooking the books?
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Sometimes you don't know why an artwork should come about or what it even means.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

I've taken screen shots of the kid's cartoon Peppa Pig where the family are blowing bubbles. Then made two paintings of bubbles using the screen shot as inspiration for a painting which when done will be called Sloterdijk's Bubbles. Blue is a good colour.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:What would be the point of it?
It's art, bitch!