Does Mother Nature create the most beautiful, objective art?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Does Mother Nature create the most beautiful, objective art?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:All I can say is, I'd rather spend a day in a beautiful forest than in an art gallery.

Music though. Now that would get my attention. I prefer human art appreciation through my ears.

I know what you mean. My dog and I discovered a previously unknown bit of natural woodland within a ten minute drive yesterday. But if i'd spent all day there, i'd want to go to a decent museum the following day. Modern galleries can go and f themselves.
best still - a decent set of bins and a ipod with a bit of Beethoven whilst you enjoy the woods
Yes, I too prefer museums to art galleries.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

You're confusing art with beauty. Although they have been related many times in history, there have been beautiful things not considered as art and art that has not been beautiful.
Sheepy

Post by Sheepy »

Agree with Conde. And "what counts as art" has been expanded in the last century by conceptual art to "whatever you put in the museum." When you present something as art, like a dead fish or a rock, then by today's standards it is. The whole idea though is the fact that someone decided to put it in a museum, the human-doing with the intention of making art that makes it art, not the thing in itself.

And yes nature "gave" us the ability to make art and thus indirectly "made" art but its not art because nature didn't make it with that intention.