New Work

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: New Work

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dear AS
Thanks for your letter with all your news. Your life and work are certainly taking off in a big way. Congratulations !

To return to the question of 'honesty' in a painting, you said:
Most of my work is very controlled....I met an artist downtown who paints so freely. It just seemed to me he did not care what others thought. I dunno....it was refreshing. So I tried to do that...to just paint without being controlling...you know...to let the paint and gravity do what it wanted...because I could not bring myself to do like he does...which is put paint on the canvas with a brush but not care where it goes. I still care where the paint goes...lol...and I couldn't leave it at that...I had to control a little with the image, so it's still not as 'honest' as his work. Maybe that is as honest as I can be?
I'm not sure that you can equate 'honesty' with being 'free' and not caring what others think. I think that honesty in painting is simply being who you are and doing what is right for you. Whether that is sploshing paint about in an abstract, perhaps unthinking way. Or taking time to follow your own flow but with quality and precision.

Anyway, I hope you can make time in a busy 2016 to keep on PN-ing whenever you can. Being the devil you are :twisted: it's always fun and thought-provoking 8)
Happy New Year to you and yours !!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Thanks. No. I never watched Breaking Bad. Don't know why. Still don't get the JC connection. Never mind. Love the song.
What JC connection?
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

I am finally having fun with my new gallery and new partner is near perfect. This month we are having a Steampunk show. It's fun to be in control of your art (commissions and display and other such business shit )...being a gallery owner means you call the shots. Plus if you have a good partner you split the cost and the work of the gallery! Beautiful!

Now if everything could run as smoothly in my personal life...mother-in-law died last month...sad..She might have been the best mother-in-law on the planet. Youngest son (21) is giving us a little drama...can't wait til he grows up already...I'm tired! lol

Other than that...things remain the same. How about you all? What have I missed?

A little preview of the Steampunk Show...I'll try to remember to post some pics of the reception...oh did I mention my partner and I are expanding the gallery? if all goes well, construction should begin next week! Weehoo! :)
Attachments
steam - Copy.jpg
steam - Copy.jpg (147.55 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

artisticsolution wrote:I am finally having fun with my new gallery and new partner is near perfect. This month we are having a Steampunk show. It's fun to be in control of your art (commissions and display and other such business shit )...being a gallery owner means you call the shots. Plus if you have a good partner you split the cost and the work of the gallery! Beautiful!

Now if everything could run as smoothly in my personal life...mother-in-law died last month...sad..She might have been the best mother-in-law on the planet. Youngest son (21) is giving us a little drama...can't wait til he grows up already...I'm tired! lol

Other than that...things remain the same. How about you all? What have I missed?

A little preview of the Steampunk Show...I'll try to remember to post some pics of the reception...oh did I mention my partner and I are expanding the gallery? if all goes well, construction should begin next week! Weehoo! :)
God I love your work, AS!

One thing though. Can you try the girls in ballerina slippers? I like them in sexy flats.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: From my Fat Boy series. This one is called Fat Boy eating chocolate. It's not meant to be any particular fat boy, it's representative of all fat boys, particularly the ones who eat a lot of chocolate.
I prefer this.
FB.JPEG
FB.JPEG (60.22 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Thanks Dalek and Veg

My androgynous characters wear sexy flats. My women are not built for comfort :wink:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

artisticsolution wrote:Thanks Dalek and Veg

My androgynous characters wear sexy flats. My women are not built for comfort :wink:
Steam punk girl is now my phone wallpaper. ;)

PS. The control you have over your art pays off. So lovely and crisp.

Oh, hey! Have you ever thought of putting your art out as a deck of cards? It would so suit (pardon the pun) the medium.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

My latest sculpture. Life size bronze resin dog.
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 22.35.55.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 22.35.55.png (89.29 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:My latest sculpture. Life size bronze resin dog.
Beautiful. Makes me feel a bit sad for some reason.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
I think you might like it were you to see it close up. The pose is based on a set of photos of my dog in anticipation of a ball being held above her.
She was with me nearly every one of the 20 days it took to make the clay sculpture (on hand for measurements!), and also watched me build the mould.
He local boyfriend , a collie-cross, barks when he sees to sculpture, but she knows its a fake.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I think you might like it were you to see it close up. The pose is based on a set of photos of my dog in anticipation of a ball being held above her.
She was with me nearly every one of the 20 days it took to make the clay sculpture (on hand for measurements!), and also watched me build the mould.
He local boyfriend , a collie-cross, barks when he sees to sculpture, but she knows its a fake.
You must have quite a set-up to be doing bronze work.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hobbes, you're amazing.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote:Hobbes, you're amazing.
He already knew that.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Beautiful. Makes me feel a bit sad for some reason.
You must have quite a set-up to be doing bronze work.
It's bronze resin, not bronze metal. That would mean another £5000, money that I'd loose.
I'll keep you up to date whether I make a sale!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:Hobbes, you're amazing.
Thanks!