New Work

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: New Work

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Because he is the last decent man in England.
Are you not a decent man?
I try to be.
So do I and I'm sure there are many others. Maybe you were just talking about politicians.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Harbal wrote: Are you not a decent man?
I try to be.
So do I and I'm sure there are many others. Maybe you were just talking about politicians.
Maybe, but that would not have been as hyperbolic and thus not as funny.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Hobbes, you just take my breath away! Love, love love your sculpture.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

artisticsolution wrote:Hobbes, you just take my breath away! Love, love love your sculpture.
Thanks.
More to follow..
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Blue Crystal Persuasion
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 16.30.11.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 16.30.11.png (144.35 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Blue Crystal Persuasion
I'm going to make an educated guess that you've never done Margaret Thatcher.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
The only thing I'd like to do with maggie, is uncoil a big one on her grave.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist."

- Louis Nizer
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:
"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist."

- Louis Nizer
I like the quote, but some artists are piss poor craftsmen.

"Art without craft is like sex without love",

Me
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Harbal wrote:
I'm curious about the title and the blueness of JC. What inspired you?

I found 'Crystal Blue Persuasion' as a hippy-ish song - (see today's Music thread or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDl8ZPm3GrU )

Given your atheism, I'm guessing there was no religious leanings in your choice. Unless you think JC is 'Him' and a New Day is A-Comin' :shock:
Or ----- no, JC ain't on acid, is he ?
Or ----- Blue Crystals are apparently associated with trustworthiness...

I like the idea of JC being blue. Why should the Tories get the best colour of all :wink: And their label of 'right' ness - now that annoys me. If I had a penny for every Tory soundbite either starting with or ending with 'It is right that...'

Lyrics:

Look over yonder what do you see
The sun is a-risin' most definitely
A new day is comin' people are changin'
Ain't it beautiful crystal blue persuasion
Better get ready gonna see the light
Love, love is the answer and that's all right
So don't you give up now so easy to find
Just look to your soul and open your mind
Crystal blue persuasion
It's a new vibration
Crystal blue persuasion, crystal
Blue persuasion
Maybe tomorrow when He looks down
Every green field and every town
All of his children every nation
There'll be peace and good brotherhood
Crystal blue persuasion
Last edited by marjoram_blues on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

artisticsolution wrote:Changing things up a bit. Bored. Bigger...not necessarily better but at least more honest.
You know my appreciation of your work, AS. I meant to ask why you described this piece as 'more honest' ? In what way...
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Harbal wrote:
I'm curious about the title and the blueness of JC. What inspired you?

I found 'Crystal Blue Persuasion' as a hippy-ish song - (see today's Music thread or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDl8ZPm3GrU )

Given your atheism, I'm guessing there was no religious leanings in your choice. Unless you think JC is 'Him' and a New Day is A-Comin' :shock:
Or ----- no, JC ain't on acid, is he ?
Or ----- Blue Crystals are apparently associated with trustworthiness...

I like the idea of JC being blue. Why should the Tories get the best colour of all :wink: And their label of 'right' ness - now that annoys me. If I had a penny for every Tory soundbite either starting with or ending with 'It is right that...'

Lyrics:

Look over yonder what do you see
The sun is a-risin' most definitely
A new day is comin' people are changin'
Ain't it beautiful crystal blue persuasion
Better get ready gonna see the light
Love, love is the answer and that's all right
So don't you give up now so easy to find
Just look to your soul and open your mind
Crystal blue persuasion
It's a new vibration
Crystal blue persuasion, crystal
Blue persuasion
Maybe tomorrow when He looks down
Every green field and every town
All of his children every nation
There'll be peace and good brotherhood
Crystal blue persuasion
Have you not seen Breaking Bad?

It's about a chemistry teacher with cancer who make blue crystal meth to pay for his treatment. That song once features in an episode.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Thanks. No. I never watched Breaking Bad. Don't know why. Still don't get the JC connection. Never mind. Love the song.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

marjoram_blues wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:Changing things up a bit. Bored. Bigger...not necessarily better but at least more honest.
You know my appreciation of your work, AS. I meant to ask why you described this piece as 'more honest' ? In what way...
Most of my work is very controlled....I met an artist downtown who paints so freely. It just seemed to me he did not care what others thought. I dunno....it was refreshing. So I tried to do that...to just paint without being controlling...you know...to let the paint and gravity do what it wanted...because I could not bring myself to do like he does...which is put paint on the canvas with a brush but not care where it goes. I still care where the paint goes...lol...and I couldn't leave it at that...I had to control a little with the image, so it's still not as 'honest' as his work. Maybe that is as honest as I can be?

It is very scary... the thought of being rejected for being yourself. The guy downtown tells me he doesn't care if people don't like his work...and maybe that is a guy thing...he seems to sell well...so maybe he has the luxury of not having to care? Maybe he would care more if he was not selling...if he was worried how he was going to pay his rent? Or maybe he doesn't worry at all if he had to paint on the streets...homeless. Some people don't mind not having worldly things. Like living off the fat of the land and all that...I am not one of them...lol. Give me shelter, air conditioning...a bag of chips if ya got em...lol.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind, I am going to be long winded today... :)

I have been very very busy...yes...even too busy to see what pn is up to these days! God forbid! I have just opened a new gallery. I stayed like I said I would with Ann...for the 6 month lease. Then I moved to a gallery downstairs. After being there for a couple of months one of the women who owned the gallery decided to leave which left the other looking for a partner. So I stepped up and said, "me please!" The funny thing was that Ann had come down to her gallery when I first moved in and had said she wanted to to be partners with them! Every where I go, seems I can't shake Ann! LOL So I told the woman then, that if she is ever looking for a partner, I would like to be asked first. Thank God she did! I would have had to change galleries again if she would have picked Ann! It's exhausting!

So, New Years Day will be first friday...and it will also be officially my first month at a partner in our gallery. Its on the main floor (Not upstairs like ann's) And it's bigger (But not prettier...yet....because I need to do a little more work to it. I have painted it...but it needs new track lighting....the lighting is a miss mosh or different heads...good light...but all different...some cool...some warn...some strong some soft...lol) Plus it need new floors ...well...the floors are good...cool looking hardwood but very very worn...in a cool van gogh used to live here look....but would look really good stained and refinished...and could do with new plaster on the walls...things that I need to hire out which I do not have the money for...so my gallery will be very very old soho...like an artist lives and works there...exposed pipes and such.....actually...I wish I could gut the place and have a new floor plan...it's kinda goofy the way they have it set up...two rooms...actually 3 rooms if you count the ugly storage room when you first come in...I don't know why they decided that the storage room should be the focal point when you walk into the gallery ...but whatever. Even with all it's oddities...I still sell better than when I was on the 2nd floor.

So then...moving on to the stupid drama yesterday...it began a few weeks ago when I was looking for other artist to rent wall space from us. I wanted to invite artist that I admire...so I called a few and most said they couldn't have enough work to go around until Feb. But one was interested. We decided to charge 200 a wall...most galleries there charge 200 + 30% commission. Or just 50/50 and no rent. But we also need people to gallery sit so we said 200 and gallery sit one day a week. so fast forward to yesterday...I get a call from the big gallery who was calling to 'get it from the horses mouth'. She said that one of the other gallery owners was 'concerned' that our gallery was trying to undercut them all, and that she might have to rethink her prices and rent. I said, " you are the biggest gallery in here...you are the draw of the whole art's district. I have maybe 2 extra walls to rent after me and my partner hang our paintings...plus we are asking for our people to gallery sit. Besides, I have known that artist for a while from when we both had booths out on the street. I had not idea he rented from another gallery, I just asked him because I admire his work."

Really? Is it anyone elses business how we run our business? But still, I don't want to step on toes...but I want the gallery to be a place where people can come to see quality art. I guess this is what I am going to have o deal with being in the business of art? So far I think the business world sucks and is very petty. meh. I like being an artist soooo much better!

So now for the good drama....I was asked to be in another gallery in new orleans a few months back...so of course I said yes and sent out a few paintings. They have had such good responses about my work that they asked me to send more. Yesterday the owner called me and told me that a gallery in Maui is interested in carrying my work as well. But that she wants me to raise my prices. She told me that she wants to start selling my work in the 5 to 10k range! But she is concerned because when her clients do a search for me, they see I am selling for less. So, I raised all my prices on etsy for a trial run...if it works I might get rid of etsy all together. I can always change them back...and she said I can sell at my own gallery for what I want...just not to put prices online. The good part is...even if I don't sell, I got that big faux finish job I am starting next week and despite being crazy busy doing that...running my gallery...and painting more paintings to send my other galleries, at least I have enough money to tie me over so I don;t have to worry about finances for a few months. Whew!

Oh...and did I mention, I 'won' a contest here to paint a free mural...lol. My husband laughs as me. But it's a cool thing...it is on a main street and the owner of the huge gallery downtown make prints and then sells them in her gallery. It was an honor...even though I did not win any money. But it made my schedule even more hectic. Hopefully I will be finished by this weekend! Please good weather hold out!

Okay...I think that it...I can't think of anything else....oh yeah...I forgot...I am also raffling off this painting in my gallery on New Years Day. It is of what I think Jimi hendrix would look like if he lived in Wonderland....which is the new name of our new gallery, btw. :)

Happy New Year, Dear M.
Attachments
jimi2.jpg
jimi2.jpg (55.89 KiB) Viewed 3949 times