What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Conde Lucanor

Re: Is music sentient?

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Green wrote:
Conde Lucanor wrote:
Green wrote:
Yeah, doesn't that prove music is sentient?
No, it doesn't, it proves music is the product, the result, the creation of a sentient being. Are books, buildings, paintings, sentient? No, they aren't.
Words are sounds we've tuned to specific meaning, buildings are inanimate objects we create. Tone occurs naturally, then we mimic to the best of our abilities. Since the reason we perceive reality is because of vibration, tone came before us. We're a product of this, not the other way around.
It would be the same to say that color occurs naturally, therefore paintings are sentient. And since words in books are printed in some color, they would be sentient, too. Architecture? Building materials come from nature, so buildings will be sentient, too. Is there anything man-made not sentient, according to this criteria?

About tones, they occur naturally, of course. But tones are sound waves of vibrating air and getting perceived by wave receptors in our ears. They are kind of synchronic elements, not music by themselves, until they are put in a diacronic structure, a system of oppositions developed in time (that we call music) and devised by a sentient being.
Green

Post by Green »

Color is a product of tone, as is everything, which is the only reason we can perceive it. My argument is for tone itself, not affects. If reality is vibration, then tone is God, to simplify it.
osgart

Post by osgart »

that every note can be so organized in keys . that harmony and rhythm flow. It's too intelligent to be a mistake.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Music itself is inanimate, a nothing, it is only the performer and composer that brings it to life.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

GaWT is irrelevant to everything. Now I remember why I have her on ignore.