What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Music

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:27 pm
thedoc wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:19 pm

I once spoke to a person who explained the difference between "perfect pitch' and "relative pitch". Relative pitch is when you can start on a note that may be slightly off and still keep the whole song in the correct pitch to the starting note. Perfect pitch is when the not has to be correct to the absolute correct pitch or the person knows it is incorrect. I know some people in a musical group and one of them has perfect pitch, the others can start a song on whatever note they settle on but this one person knows that it's wrong but sings along anyhow.
Only a person with perfect pitch could be deaf and sing like that. It's because they can 'hear' the correct notes in their head. That's why Beethoven could compose some of his greatest music after he became deaf. Mozart could compose straight from his head to the manuscript.
You're correct, I didn't intend to say otherwise, a person with "perfect pitch" "hears" the note in their head and tries to match it with what they hear in their ears. The problem comes when the notes don't match but the person with relative pitch doesn't notice the difference.
You were right. You can play any note to a person with perfect pitch and they will know what it is. They can hear a siren and know instantly that it's an F sharp, or a B flat, or a D.... I suppose there must be people who have never learnt music and don't even know they have that ability.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Percussionist Evelyn Glennie explained that the ability to play music as a deaf person comes from being able to feel and interpret the vibrations. What amazes me is that she finds beauty in vibrations just as most people do with sound.

This suggest that we each have a latent innate ability to perceive beauty in music by vibration alone. Beautiful vibrations ... maaan ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist). Also, it seems that we have latent echolocation abilities too.
vegetariantaxidermy

That's all music is--vibrations. It's very mysterious the way it can affect and move us at a fundamental level. Physics would come up with an explanation for it. Strange that some are more affected and moved by it than others. It's no coincidence that many scientists are also musicians. Einstein was an excellent violinist.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greta wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 pm This suggest that we each have a latent innate ability to perceive beauty in music by vibration alone. Beautiful vibrations ... maaan ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist). Also, it seems that we have latent echolocation abilities too.
I heard somewhere that a blind person first "saw" their other person in the rain because they could "hear" the raindrops hitting the other person. I remember being at concerts where I could feel the vibrations of the music inside, not just hearing the music. Perhaps echolocation is only developed when other senses are lacking.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:24 am

I heard somewhere that a blind person first "saw" their other person in the rain because they could "hear" the raindrops hitting the other person.
Someone should develop a special water pistol for the blind to help them meet more new people.
vegetariantaxidermy

:lol:
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greta wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 pm This suggest that we each have a latent innate ability to perceive beauty in music by vibration alone. Beautiful vibrations ... maaan ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist). Also, it seems that we have latent echolocation abilities too.
I heard somewhere that a blind person first "saw" their other person in the rain because they could "hear" the raindrops hitting the other person. I remember being at concerts where I could feel the vibrations of the music inside, not just hearing the music. Perhaps echolocation is only developed when other senses are lacking.
Yes. If you are struggling to perceive your environment then any cue can help "map" it.

It's odd thing, though, perceiving the beauty of timbre, harmony and melody without being able to hear.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:32 am

I heard somewhere that a blind person first "saw" their other person in the rain because they could "hear" the raindrops hitting the other person.
Someone should develop a special water pistol for the blind to help them meet more new people.
Be careful Harb. If you get VT by accident, she'd accuse you of being more violent than the US. :lol:

PhilX
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc

Post by thedoc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETveS23djXM

I was listening to this piece, the whole thing, long before the movie came out.
vegetariantaxidermy

Could this be the most moving piece of music ever written? Sound quality isn't perfect, but it's the only rendition I could find with the oboe (my favourite orchestral instrument) solo. It would be equally suitable for a wedding or a funeral. I remember they played it at princess Diana's funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPdTEtRV5v0