Conscious decision is impossible

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Celebritydiscodave2

Re: Conscious decision is impossible

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Technically not possible, true, then only if you are inspecting the proposition with a fine comb, but for all reasonable tense and purposes we do indeed make decisions, most certainly they are conscious. Everything is made up of components, not only ourselves, and of course any action/non action we take is as consequence to how these components fashion themselves, so in the very strictest sense beyond conscious decision. What is strictly this or strictly that is not actually important, everything having no better than an approximate to define nature. It is therefore not incorrect to speak in terms of conscious decision making, having first accepted of course, which everybody here likely already has, that we are highly complex beings. We can live with that.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:35 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:01 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Consciousness, as choice, is merely a mediation between two extremes as the extremes themselves imply a lack of awareness. Mediation, in these regards, observe an awareness of both.

Consciousness, as mediation, is trifold in nature through a form of measurement (between extremes) as synthesis.
So you are saying that we are unaware of two extremes when we are conscious of them?
If we are aware of two extremes we observe a median between the two. If we commit to one extreme route, claiming its polar opposite is the real extreme, we are unaware of the extreme we commit too.

If I observe the polar opposite is an extreme position, and the position I am claiming is also extreme, by default we can observe a medial ground between the two.

So a medial route understands both extremes, while the person committing to an extreme position does not always know its extreme nature. Observing the nature of reality through a lense of duality causes the problem of "extremes".
What is median? Is it something we can experience?
bahman

Post by bahman »

A_Seagull wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:30 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm 1) We need at least two choices for a decision
2) We can be conscious of one choice at any given time
3) Therefore conscious decision is impossible
Your premise 1 is illogical. You need two options and one choice for a decision.
Ok, as usual that is my English problem:
1) We need at least two options for a decision
2) We can be conscious of one option at any given time
bahman

Re:

Post by bahman »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:28 am "2) We can be conscious of one choice at any given time"

Not so. Right now I got two notions in my head: to finish this responses, or, stop and get a cup of coffee. Both options are very clear, and simultaneous, for me.

I chose the coffee

The problem you have: you're imposing the limitation of language on thinking (we write and speak in sequence but we can hold multiple images/options in the mind's eye simultaneously [well, I can...mebbe you can't]).
So your mind is different than mine. I can be conscious of one thing at any given time.
Celebritydiscodave2

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:53 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm 1) We need at least two choices for a decision
2) We can be conscious of one choice at any given time
Your premise 1 is illogical. You need two options and one choice for a decision.

In my view it makes no odds to whether a decision is being made or not just because one possible action is being considered a moment in time ahead of the other, and back and forth such. It is effectively at the same time anyway, so why even discuss it?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:58 pm

In my view it makes no odds to whether a decision is being made or not just because one possible action is being considered a moment in time ahead of the other, and back and forth such. It is effectively at the same time anyway, so why even discuss it?
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"So your mind is different than mine. I can be conscious of one thing at any given time."

Must be one helluva hard life, being narrowly focused.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:52 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:35 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:01 pm

So you are saying that we are unaware of two extremes when we are conscious of them?
If we are aware of two extremes we observe a median between the two. If we commit to one extreme route, claiming its polar opposite is the real extreme, we are unaware of the extreme we commit too.

If I observe the polar opposite is an extreme position, and the position I am claiming is also extreme, by default we can observe a medial ground between the two.

So a medial route understands both extremes, while the person committing to an extreme position does not always know its extreme nature. Observing the nature of reality through a lense of duality causes the problem of "extremes".
What is median? Is it something we can experience?
A center point between 2 or more extremes. The act of balancing one's thoughts, emotions, health is an act of mediation.
bahman

Re:

Post by bahman »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 pm "So your mind is different than mine. I can be conscious of one thing at any given time."

Must be one helluva hard life, being narrowly focused.
No that is not that difficult. There is a background in filed of my consciousness which of course I cannot individuate all of them except the one I focus on.
Celebritydiscodave2

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:10 pm
Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:58 pm

I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Just because in coming to an action one considers his options in turn, rather than in that same moment, is not adequate to suggest to know "decision"/consideration regard options having occurred. Conscious decision cannot be made only because we are more, rather than less, complex/advanced. Sometimes what sounds like a flaw is actually an advantage, and this is just one example of it. It can be applied on every level, how we perceive a person`s actions, for example.