Conscious decision is impossible

Post by bahman »

1) We need at least two choices for a decision
2) We can be conscious of one choice at any given time
3) Therefore conscious decision is impossible
Impenitent

Re: Conscious decision is impossible

Post by Impenitent »

I did not consciously decide to reply to this thread which you did not consciously decide to create...

-Imp
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

bahman wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm 1) We need at least two choices for a decision
Consciousness, as choice, is merely a mediation between two extremes as the extremes themselves imply a lack of awareness. Mediation, in these regards, observe an awareness of both.

Consciousness, as mediation, is trifold in nature through a form of measurement (between extremes) as synthesis.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bahman wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm 1) We need at least two choices for a decision
I disagree. Some choices aren't really choices for some people so there is only one true choice for such people. Different people place different values on choices. You can decide on something without taking into consideration other paths.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
bahman

Post by bahman »

Impenitent wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:18 pm I did not consciously decide to reply to this thread which you did not consciously decide to create...

-Imp
I am familiar with such a argument. Please tell me what is wrong with my argument.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 pm
Consciousness, as choice, is merely a mediation between two extremes as the extremes themselves imply a lack of awareness. Mediation, in these regards, observe an awareness of both.

Consciousness, as mediation, is trifold in nature through a form of measurement (between extremes) as synthesis.
So you are saying that we are unaware of two extremes when we are conscious of them?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:24 pm
I disagree. Some choices aren't really choices for some people so there is only one true choice for such people. Different people place different values on choices. You can decide on something without taking into consideration other paths.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Could you please tell me what is wrong with my argument since your words doesn't take me anywhere?
Philosophy Explorer

bahman wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:03 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:24 pm

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Could you please tell me what is wrong with my argument since your words doesn't take me anywhere?
No. 1

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
bahman

Post by bahman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:24 pm I disagree. Some choices aren't really choices for some people so there is only one true choice for such people. Different people place different values on choices. You can decide on something without taking into consideration other paths.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
No. 1

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
What do you need the decision for if you just have an option?
Philosophy Explorer

bahman wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:27 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm

No. 1

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I'm saying you don't need two choices for a decision.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
bahman

Post by bahman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:31 pm
bahman wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:27 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm No. 1

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I'm saying you don't need two choices for a decision.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
So why do you said that (1) is wrong?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

bahman wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:59 pm
Impenitent wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:18 pm I did not consciously decide to reply to this thread which you did not consciously decide to create...

-Imp
I am familiar with such a argument. Please tell me what is wrong with my argument.
that would require me to consciously decide to construct phrases that would facilitate your conscious decision to accept or deny them

-Imp
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

bahman wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:01 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 pm

So you are saying that we are unaware of two extremes when we are conscious of them?
If we are aware of two extremes we observe a median between the two. If we commit to one extreme route, claiming its polar opposite is the real extreme, we are unaware of the extreme we commit too.

If I observe the polar opposite is an extreme position, and the position I am claiming is also extreme, by default we can observe a medial ground between the two.

So a medial route understands both extremes, while the person committing to an extreme position does not always know its extreme nature. Observing the nature of reality through a lense of duality causes the problem of "extremes".
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Your premise 1 is illogical. You need two options and one choice for a decision.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"2) We can be conscious of one choice at any given time"

Not so. Right now I got two notions in my head: to finish this responses, or, stop and get a cup of coffee. Both options are very clear, and simultaneous, for me.

I chose the coffee

The problem you have: you're imposing the limitation of language on thinking (we write and speak in sequence but we can hold multiple images/options in the mind's eye simultaneously [well, I can...mebbe you can't]).