New Year's Resolutions

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing
My wish for us all is to have more clarity amidst the madness... and drop the delusions that harm the well-being of ourselves and others.
Why not lead the way? What will it take for you to acquire more clarity amidst the madness and the courage to drop your delusions?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:59 pm Lacewing
My wish for us all is to have more clarity amidst the madness... and drop the delusions that harm the well-being of ourselves and others.
Why not lead the way? What will it take for you to acquire more clarity amidst the madness and the courage to drop your delusions?
Well this discussion about delusional fools just ate its own young.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:59 pm What will it take for you to acquire more clarity amidst the madness
Not reading your posts.
Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:59 pm and the courage to drop your delusions?
I'm doing it all the time, such as dropping the delusion of having a reasonable discussion with you despite your delusions.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:49 am
Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:59 pm What will it take for you to acquire more clarity amidst the madness
Not reading your posts.
Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:59 pm and the courage to drop your delusions?
I'm doing it all the time, such as dropping the delusion of having a reasonable discussion with you despite your delusions.
All these sincere expressions of peace and love by secular progressives warms the cockles of my heart. Such profound philosophical hypocrisy assures that the coming utopia will be indefinitely postponed.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Nick, you are flat-out nuts. The only one here who is mired in Plato's cave is YOU. Why anyone even bothers responding to your BS is beyond me.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:25 am All these sincere expressions of peace and love by secular progressives warms the cockles of my heart.
I'm so glad.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 pm
Mr. Dangerpants... may I call you Flash? Excellent post! I'm encouraged when people call out such madness and behavior for what it is.

I thought so too. It was so 'spot on' that it made for uncomfortable reading. Where else would you get human insight like this? That's why I come here. I always give credit where it's due (even if most on here are a mean-spirited lot).
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

davidm wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:37 am Nick, you are flat-out nuts. The only one here who is mired in Plato's cave is YOU. Why anyone even bothers responding to your BS is beyond me.
Why should the secular progressive bother responding to philosophy when all the answers have been recorded and documented. That is why the collective New years Resolution for secular progressives will be to follow the axiom of King George III:
"I wish nothing but good; therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor and a scoundrel."
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

davidm wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:37 am Nick, you are flat-out nuts. The only one here who is mired in Plato's cave is YOU. Why anyone even bothers responding to your BS is beyond me.
I think we all get drawn into sword fights with madmen from time to time. It's sort of like comic relief, while practicing our stances and moves. :) And it keeps us in check about our own madness.

Madmen serve as a warning for all of us.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:52 am
I think we all get drawn into sword fights with madmen from time to time. It's sort of like comic relief, while practicing our stances and moves. :) And it keeps us in check about our own madness.

Madmen serve as a warning for all of us.
You and the other secular progressives will always seek the destruction of the madmen. But you cannot destroy them all. There will be enough left to keep common sense alive. Your sword is limited. Your New Years Resolution should be to acquire more efficient methods to eliminate the madmen
The Madman

It was in the garden of a madhouse that I met a youth with a face pale and lovely and full of wonder.
And I sat beside him upon the bench, and I said, "Why are you here?"
And he looked at me in astonishment, and he said, "It is an unseemly question, yet I will answer you. My father would make of me a reproduction of himself; so also would my uncle. My mother would have me the image of her illustrious father. My sister would hold up her sea-faring husband as the perfect example for me to follow. My brother thinks I should be like him, a fine athlete.
"And my teachers also, the doctor of philosophy, and the music-master, and the logician, they too were determined, and each would have me but a reflection of his own face in a mirror."
"Therefore I came to this place. I find it more sane here. At least, I can be myself."
Then of a sudden he turned to me and he said, "But tell me, were you also driven to this place by education and good counsel?"
And I answered, "No, I am a visitor."
And he said, "Oh, you are one of those who live in the madhouse on the other side of the wall."

- Kahil Gibran, The Wanderer - His Parables and Sayings
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:30 am You and the other secular progressives will always seek the destruction of the madmen. But you cannot destroy them all. There will be enough left to keep common sense alive. Your sword is limited. Your New Years Resolution should be to acquire more efficient methods to eliminate the madmen
You're not making sense as usual, Nick.

Your New Years Resolution should be to take a vow of silence, and abstinence from all online communication for a year. Maybe if you get a true break from all of your noisy repetition, you'll actually notice and gain broader awareness beyond that.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:06 am
Nick_A wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:30 am You and the other secular progressives will always seek the destruction of the madmen. But you cannot destroy them all. There will be enough left to keep common sense alive. Your sword is limited. Your New Years Resolution should be to acquire more efficient methods to eliminate the madmen

Your New Years Resolution should be to take a vow of silence, and abstinence from all online communication for a year. Maybe if you get a true break from all of your noisy repetition, you'll actually notice and gain broader awareness beyond that.
I hate Nick... and I like him. If he goes I will replace him and I will be far more cutthroat and brutal than he is...you should pray he stays.

Oh yeah my New Years resolution...hmmm....to get rid of the concept of New Year's resolution. No more standards; therefore no more hypocrisy.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 am
Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:06 am

I hate Nick... and I like him. If he goes I will replace him and I will be far more cutthroat and brutal than he is...you should pray he stays.
I'm not afraid of you. Fuck off.

I suggested a New Years Resolution for Nick, in response to him suggesting one for me. Almost everything I say is said with laughter -- and that resolution for him gave me a good laugh. I don't hate Nick -- I wish him well. Sure, I think he acts crazy and I like to throw things at him -- but as I said earlier, he asks for it and I'm just answering his call.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:51 am
Why should the secular progressive bother responding to philosophy when all the answers have been recorded and documented. That is why the collective New years Resolution for secular progressives will be to follow the axiom of King George III:
"I wish nothing but good; therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor and a scoundrel."
What exactly is a 'secular progressive'? 'Progressive' is a political movement. 'Secular' simply means separate from religion. The two words have no particular connection to one another.
henry quirk

secular progressive = commie atheist

Post by henry quirk »

like most of the folks here