New Year's Resolutions

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:17 amOne was telling me about the delicious menu of food that would be served at their banquet with God when they get to Heaven. Turkey, roast beef, mashed potatoes... I'm not sure where that passage is in the Bible. ??? :lol:
I take it then, that human heaven is cow and turkey hell :D
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:17 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am Never say 'how are you?' to an elderly person. You will get an hour long lecture on every ache and creak and how their catheter fell out and how many pills they take, and what operation they have coming up, and who's died (their favourite part of the newpaper is the death notices)...
:lol: :lol: :lol: A lot of them talk about Jesus too (you'd think they'd be anxious to go be with him rather than barely clinging to life for years the way they do). One was telling me about the delicious menu of food that would be served at their banquet with God when they get to Heaven. Turkey, roast beef, mashed potatoes... I'm not sure where that passage is in the Bible. ??? :lol:
So turkeys, cows and potatoes have souls after all?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Another resolution:

To continue my list of mistakes.
So that I can reread them every now and then and try to avoid them. Many of them concern overindulging in foods and spontenous remarks.
Other examples:
Going out for a walk without an umbrella and without a ticket.
Washing a pillow with its content.

Is there a danger of becoming a compulsive perfectionist that way ? I hope not.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am Never say 'how are you?' to an elderly person. You will get an hour long lecture on every ache and creak and how their catheter fell out and how many pills they take, and what operation they have coming up, and who's died (their favourite part of the newpaper is the death notices)...
:lol: :lol: :lol: A lot of them talk about Jesus too (you'd think they'd be anxious to go be with him rather than barely clinging to life for years the way they do). One was telling me about the delicious menu of food that would be served at their banquet with God when they get to Heaven. Turkey, roast beef, mashed potatoes... I'm not sure where that passage is in the Bible. ??? :lol:
Never say 'how are you?' to a normal teenage girl. You will hear complaints that will put the elderly person to shame in the art of complaining.
vegetariantaxidermy

Nick_A wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:51 pm
Never say 'how are you?' to a normal teenage girl. You will hear complaints that will put the elderly person to shame in the art of complaining.
Ridiculous.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:00 am
Nick_A wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 pm Dave

Granted, in past times and in other cultures including native cultures, elders were considered people of wisdom worthy of it being passed on to the young. Those days are over. All elders except those preaching the state will be considered potential pervs who the young should be protected from. Elders no longer have wisdom; only the state does and the young must be protected from those who doubt.
The elder's said "do what you want". So we followed their advice...and here we are. The "elders" are reaping what they sowed along time ago. Do you think our generation will have it any easier? Most of us (millenials) will be euthanized when deemed to "expensive" to take care of, it might start to happen to the generation above us first.

In a few decades we will be elders. We will be treated worse than the generation above us...they got nursing homes, we will get a shot in the arm and told to die. All of this will be conveniently disquised under the words "freedom", "choice", "comfort" of course. The thing of it is will we deserve it? What wisdom does our generation possess other than trivial social etiquette relative to specific groups?

That question is will we be able to think for ourselves considering our only means of communication are relegated to various forms of social media? Not without a constant influx of opinion...and that is what our generation thrives of off opinion.

The pursuit of happiness has become an intolerable yoke for our generation and has distorted the very concept of what it means to be human. "Do what you want" is the ethical and moral standard of today's times. It will be the very thing which destroys us.
Oh stop fretting you stupid old coot. Even people who want euthanasia can't get it because of religious fuck-heads.
For now...but the "religious" atmosphere is changing and their are a lot of shifting cultural under currents.

Plus, with ageing populations and because the older people get the more they seem to want to cling to life for some reason, there's not a hope in hell of it happening. Why are old people so obsessed with staying alive when they are falling to bits? Never say 'how are you?' to an elderly person. You will get an hour long lecture on every ache and creak and how their catheter fell out and how many pills they take, and what operation they have coming up, and who's died (their favourite part of the newpaper is the death notices)...
I more than familiar with the struggles of the old, I observed and been through more deaths than I can count. Maybe people cling on to life, because people put a value to life. I don't think you would understand that however considering you are already dead. You complain alot like the old people you mention, does that mean your life is not worth living?

Does pain mean life has no value? Are you that weak?
vegetariantaxidermy

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:00 am

The elder's said "do what you want". So we followed their advice...and here we are. The "elders" are reaping what they sowed along time ago. Do you think our generation will have it any easier? Most of us (millenials) will be euthanized when deemed to "expensive" to take care of, it might start to happen to the generation above us first.

In a few decades we will be elders. We will be treated worse than the generation above us...they got nursing homes, we will get a shot in the arm and told to die. All of this will be conveniently disquised under the words "freedom", "choice", "comfort" of course. The thing of it is will we deserve it? What wisdom does our generation possess other than trivial social etiquette relative to specific groups?

That question is will we be able to think for ourselves considering our only means of communication are relegated to various forms of social media? Not without a constant influx of opinion...and that is what our generation thrives of off opinion.

The pursuit of happiness has become an intolerable yoke for our generation and has distorted the very concept of what it means to be human. "Do what you want" is the ethical and moral standard of today's times. It will be the very thing which destroys us.
Oh stop fretting you stupid old coot. Even people who want euthanasia can't get it because of religious fuck-heads.
For now...but the "religious" atmosphere is changing and their are a lot of shifting cultural under currents.

Plus, with ageing populations and because the older people get the more they seem to want to cling to life for some reason, there's not a hope in hell of it happening. Why are old people so obsessed with staying alive when they are falling to bits? Never say 'how are you?' to an elderly person. You will get an hour long lecture on every ache and creak and how their catheter fell out and how many pills they take, and what operation they have coming up, and who's died (their favourite part of the newpaper is the death notices)...
I more than familiar with the struggles of the old, I observed and been through more deaths than I can count. Maybe people cling on to life, because people put a value to life. I don't think you would understand that however considering you are already dead. You complain alot like the old people you mention, does that mean your life is not worth living?

I suppose it depends on what someone is complaining about. Of course pain can make life intolerable for some people. It's hardly for you to judge, and it certainly doesn't make them 'weak' any more than clinging to life means a person is 'strong'. Perhaps that's why the old complain--because they want to end it and can't.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:36 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 pm

I suppose it depends on what someone is complaining about. Of course pain can make life intolerable for some people. It's hardly for you to judge, and it certainly doesn't make them 'weak' any more than clinging to life means a person is 'strong'. Perhaps that's why the old complain--because they want to end it and can't.
Complaining, from what I have observed, offers a means to relieve pain...and sometimes it it fun. Think about it, how often do people complain about their pains just to prove they have more pain than others? That they can endure more?

On the other hand, if it is the forefront thought in their minds, what else would they talk about?

The experience of pain, as something bad in and of itself under certain circumstances, proves in many respects that there is something more to life other than the pursuit of pleasure and avoidance of pain. Otherwise why would people who could end their own pain, choose to continue on?

Considering pain is merely an absence of health, a deficiency in life as a grade of death, why would suicide as pure death be the solution to lifes problems since death in itself is the problem?

People often argue that life is a mistake, but what if death is the big mistake?
vegetariantaxidermy

It is the business of only the individual concerned. I have no interest in childish superstition-based 'opinions'.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:15 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:51 pm
Ridiculous.
I virtually get no negative reactions to my age from any teenage girls of around fifteen years, some may be forteen, for I do n`t ask for birth certificates before joining them in conversation. They are still free spirits then, so no age prejudice programming in place to decide for them whom is visible. "Real age" is their fascination, and they treat everybody as they find them, as individuals. My popularity falls well beyond merely my world record attempts, young people tend to reading me, they look soul deep, they are experts with body language, and their response is only ever with my inner being.

Much of our communication takes the form of waiving, we can tend to spontaneous waiving. As for aches and pains at my advanced sixty two years, I have none, they remain decades back in my past, back when I was so called young. In reality I am actually younger now, and my youth/child is my attraction for youth. Nobody put down those older of years (some younger by real age, obviously) in order to try and establish oneself as younger than is the case. The ultimate test for youth is when placed in the environment of young people. If one cannot even understand why they might take an interest in them one is likely already too old, too old to be visible in their world. How can one be young at sixty two then? Only with genuine and considerable child/youth as part of their make up, by having an abundance of this commodity in common with young people, and through communicating in natural subliminal and spontaneous body language, soul to soul. Presence alone is enough. Where ageing is concerned we are truly hard wired.

My advice to young people is as follows. Only trust your closest friends, and those that everybody already trusts through very considerable passage of time. Do n`t even trust these beyond a public place. Do n`t trust those that conceal their full true and proven identity.