The Devolution of the Modern Mind

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

The Devolution of the Modern Mind

Post by Nick_A »

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ~ Socrates
Have you noticed that great ideas which connect us psychologically to the source of our existence are denied as politically incorrect since someone will be insulted. A serious discussion in real life on the meaning of Christmas and the virgin birth would be impossible. Political correctness would discourage it.

So denying ideas devolves first into arguing events and finally condemning some incomprehensible entity called a Christian.

I use this example because as I write this we are just days before an event only a few understand the meaning of. Modern society has been reduced to discussing people for some reason called Christian.

But the same idea is true in relation to great ideas in general. As society takes pride in its imagined evolution, the mind begins to first devolve into concern with events and finally with the condemnation of people. It seems there is a connection between material evolution and psychological devolution that assures the death of society. Does it have to be?
davidm

Re: The Devolution of the Modern Mind

Post by davidm »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:01 pm
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ~ Socrates
Have you noticed that great ideas which connect us psychologically to the source of our existence are denied as politically incorrect since someone will be insulted.
No, I haven't noticed this.
A serious discussion in real life on the meaning of Christmas and the virgin birth would be impossible. Political correctness would discourage it.
What are you talking about, Nick? This time of year especially, all sorts of people yammer on about the meaning of Christmas and the alleged virgin birth.
society takes pride in its imagined evolution, the mind begins to first devolve into concern with events and finally with the condemnation of people.
But Nick, it is YOU who condemns people -- all the time! You are hoist by your own petard.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

davidm wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:16 pm
Have you noticed that great ideas which connect us psychologically to the source of our existence are denied as politically incorrect since someone will be insulted.
No, I haven't noticed this.
A serious discussion in real life on the meaning of Christmas and the virgin birth would be impossible. Political correctness would discourage it.
What are you talking about, Nick? This time of year especially, all sorts of people yammer on about the meaning of Christmas and the alleged virgin birth.
society takes pride in its imagined evolution, the mind begins to first devolve into concern with events and finally with the condemnation of people.
But Nick, it is YOU who condemns people -- all the time! You are hoist by your own petard.
People yammer on all the time. What does this have to do with a serious discussion of profound ideas?
-1-

Post by -1- »

I use this example because as I write this we are just days before an event only a few understand the meaning of. Modern society has been reduced to discussing people for some reason called Christian.

Who are these Christians who understand the meaning of VirginBirth? And who are the people called Christians who are not Christians?

If you ask yourself, of course you are in the know and almost everyone else is in the don't know.
If you ask a RC, only the RC is in the know, but you, Baptists, Anabaptists, Rastarerians, Seventh Day Adventists, and Salvation Army soldiers are not Christians.

If you ask a Baptist, then he is in the know, and RCs, Anabaptists, Rastaferians, Sevewnth Day Adventists, and Salvation Army soldiers are not Christians.

If you ask a Salvation Army officer, he or she will tell you that they are in the know, and RCs, Baptists, Anabaptists, Nick_A, Seventh Day Adventists and so on are not truly Christians.

So I, an atheist, can't ask someone to explain to me the true meaning of virgin birth. Because there is no consensus.

This comes back to the "why god is such a horrible failure at communication". I don't think he is bad at communicating... he just simply does not exist, and that exonerates him from all charges. Not Guilty.

Whereas Christians are a bunch of hogwash heroes. Not if you ask them; but if you ask another one of them.

This is brushing on the ridiculous.
-1-

Post by -1- »

"He does not exists and that exonerates him from all charges." What an alibi.

This is the ultimate alibi. God is great, because he does not exist. If he existed, a lot of bad rap could be sewn on him, which is in the make all over the place. If he existed, he would be at best a mix of a good god, a satisfactory god and a bad god. But all that is moot, so he is great.

God is great. Because and mainly because he does not exist.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:44 pm People yammer on all the time. What does this have to do with a serious discussion of profound ideas?
What does this have to do with a serious discussion of serious ideas? The same as for you**: With yammering.

I almost wrote "same as for you, Nick_A: With yammering", but I quickly realized that would be wrong.

By "you" I meant all of you, including myself, on the forums. We are all yammerers. Without a single exception.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

-1-
So I, an atheist, can't ask someone to explain to me the true meaning of virgin birth. Because there is no consensus.
That is what Socrates is referring to. Contemplation of ideas has devolved in the modern man to justifying talking about people and arguing opinions. A sure sign of a progressive education but not good for either the essence of religion or philosophy defined as the love of wisdom.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:18 pm -1-
That is what Socrates is referring to. Contemplation of ideas has devolved in the modern man to justifying talking about people and arguing opinions. A sure sign of a progressive education but not good for either the essence of religion or philosophy defined as the love of wisdom.
Not at all. You are sooooo bloody wrong. Socrates could not have referred to the virgin birth and to how there is no consensus of it amongst Christians, because Socrates was not a prophet. He was a philosopher. And you are neither, Nick_A, but a puffed-up waffle-ball.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

-1- wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 pm
Nick_A wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:18 pm -1-
Not at all. You are sooooo bloody wrong. Socrates could not have referred to the virgin birth and to how there is no consensus of it amongst Christians, because Socrates was not a prophet. He was a philosopher. And you are neither, Nick_A, but a puffed-up waffle-ball.
This thread is about the devolution of the modern mind. It is not restricted to the devolution of Christianity into the many expressions of Christendom. The thread concerns the loss of respect for the value of conscious contemplation and the justification of psychological surrender into gossip as compensation.