Is all of philosophy just opinion?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is all of philosophy just opinion?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

It seems that way to me. Pick any subject and nothing definite results. Just more questions arise and nothing seems to get settled. Does this state of affairs discourage you or do you see any hope?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Eodnhoj7

Re: Is all of philosophy just opinion?

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 pm It seems that way to me. Pick any subject and nothing definite results. Just more questions arise and nothing seems to get settled. Does this state of affairs discourage you or do you see any hope?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Philosophy, from what I have observed, can often times be equated to the the exploration of new worlds as a modal realism of axioms. The problem occurs, in the respect that this exploration of potentially infinite axioms, can equate to a world in itself that never really ends.

Observing the common denominators of these axioms, through process of question and argument, allows one to observe certain constant structures over time. It is this consistency, I believe, the philosopher is looking for much in the same manner our forefathers would seek new lands as places of rest.

The process of question and argument, I believe is eventually used to unify all questions and arguments under 1 question/argument from which philosophical labor can be put to rest. Considering the axiom, as the premise of all truth, is both subjective and objective what the philosopher is fundamentally looking for is a balance as "being" where the objective and subjective is synthesized as "1".

Considering what we understand of reality is strictly opinion, we can observe their are facts, with this opinionated nature to reality being one of many. In these respects what we understand of reality is a dualism of fact and opinion whose tension ultimately must synthesize into a new perspective.

In these respects, philosophy is about changing oneself through changing their perspective. So is it opinion? Yes. It is all opinion? Well if it is then that that is a fact. Or "all things are merely opinion", then that in itself is an opinion implying there are further facts.

In these regards what we observe are coexisting dimensions of the same thing. Philosophy is knowledge as perspective.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:It seems that way to me. Pick any subject and nothing definite results. ...
Logic, loads of definite results.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 pm It seems that way to me. Pick any subject and nothing definite results. Just more questions arise and nothing seems to get settled. Does this state of affairs discourage you or do you see any hope?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Even though there are many viewpoints of philosophy, many can be categorized and synthesized or contradicted. From these synthesized or contradicted viewpoints, we can hash out our own meaning in this universe of meaning. I don't believe that the universe is meaningless, but rather we derive meaning therefrom. What we *do* know can inform us of what we 'should' know.
thata23

Post by thata23 »

PhilX 🇺🇸
Much hope - we are literally all connected and from stardust, there better be some hope that we are all unified to find universal meaning. If you think about it, then think about it again, just think how ridiculous borders, money, wars, etc. (any division) are - we are all just trying to make a better world and on this journey together whether we like it or not.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Finish it then, even start it and finish it, with all embracing original philosophical affirmations, and when you are finally done, publish.
thata23

Post by thata23 »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:24 am Finish it then, even start it and finish it, with all embracing original philosophical affirmations, and when you are finally done, publish.
This feeling should not have to be explained, just the shear beauty of being a human being on Earth with your fellow brothers and sisters should give you this feeling.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Unfortunately though we are individuals, and our perception of the world is as independent as our feelings in regard to that perception, and nothing is written merely off the back of one individual`s feelings.