Sales is a skill, not a talent

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: Sales is a skill, not a talent

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 am You haven't been paying attention. How could you miss my response where I said sales tricks with a question mark. That means I learned there are no sales tricks in true selling so I have no sales tricks for you. The prospects sell themselves.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Squirming out of the point again.

Fine, call it whatever you want. Describe your sales method if you want that to be the focus of attention. Otherwise return to the point in hand. I'm not interested in being told that you have 17 secret herbs and spices for me to worship from afar.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:04 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 am You haven't been paying attention. How could you miss my response where I said sales tricks with a question mark. That means I learned there are no sales tricks in true selling so I have no sales tricks for you. The prospects sell themselves.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Squirming out of the point again.

Fine, call it whatever you want. Describe your sales method if you want that to be the focus of attention. Otherwise return to the point in hand. I'm not interested in being told that you have 17 secret herbs and spices for me to worship from afar.
If you're referring to the sales advice I mentioned earlier ("Whoever speaks first, loses"), that's the method (but it's not my method since it preceded me). What it means is that you give the offer to the prospect, then put a zipper on your mouth and wait for a response.

Using this advice at the cable company, during a certain month, I've outsold a group of ten people combined.
I thought that was the most I could do, but later I discovered a method that approximately quadrupled my sales rate! (which I'm keeping a trade secret).

Here's a question for you FDP. Taking me at my word about the sales advice, why do you think it works?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
FlashDangerpants

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:32 am If you're referring to the sales advice I mentioned earlier ("Whoever speaks first, loses"), that's the method (but it's not my method since it preceded me). What it means is that you give the offer to the prospect, then put a zipper on your mouth and wait for a response.

Using this advice at the cable company, during a certain month, I've outsold a group of ten people combined.
I thought that was the most I could do, but later I discovered a method that approximately quadrupled my sales rate! (which I'm keeping a trade secret).

Here's a question for you FDP. Taking me at my word about the sales advice, why do you think it works?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Well the bit you are prepared to describe is a trick. You just wait for somebody else to fill an uncomfortable silence which gives them an incentive to say what they think you want to hear. Why the other bit works is probably another trick, but you won't present it for analysis so there's no further point discussing that.

Not that this cock waving you are doing has any bearing. The same thing can be subject both to teachable skill and inherent talent for such skills. You aren't making any sort of argument about that. This thread is just a journey through your ego problems. An opportunity for mid level sales drone who can't hold down a steady job to boast to strangers on the internet that he is the best of the best.
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:01 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:32 am If you're referring to the sales advice I mentioned earlier ("Whoever speaks first, loses"), that's the method (but it's not my method since it preceded me). What it means is that you give the offer to the prospect, then put a zipper on your mouth and wait for a response.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Well the bit you are prepared to describe is a trick. You just wait for somebody else to fill an uncomfortable silence which gives them an incentive to say what they think you want to hear. Why the other bit works is probably another trick, but you won't present it for analysis so there's no further point discussing that.

Not that this cock waving you are doing has any bearing. The same thing can be subject both to teachable skill and inherent talent for such skills. You aren't making any sort of argument about that. This thread is just a journey through your ego problems. An opportunity for mid level sales drone who can't hold down a steady job to boast to strangers on the internet that he is the best of the best.
Disagreed. I've been there, you haven't. Your speculation about it being a trick is just that, speculation. So far all you've shown is your prejudice towards salespeople. You can't argue about facts.

Again it isn't talent for the rep to stay silent while waiting for a response from the prospect.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Sales as a Socratic dialectic?
FlashDangerpants

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm Disagreed. I've been there, you haven't.
I've been in other types of sales environment where you haven't been. You claim your lack of experience in wider environments isn't relevant, so you need to withdraw this statement or admit to inconsistency.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm Your speculation about it being a trick is just that, speculation. So far all you've shown is your prejudice towards salespeople. You can't argue about facts.
You've only provided one fact about your technique which is simply not speaking at a time where it is natural for somebody to talk forcing the other person to fill the void. That's a trick.

You want to discuss the other facts of your process, share those facts. Otherwise, follow your own advice and stay silent about your secrets. In which case I am entitled to assume they are much like the other thing. Which is just a trick you use.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm Again it isn't talent for the rep to stay silent while waiting for a response from the prospect.
Agreed, that is just a trick.

Do you think that just staying silent for an embarrassing pause is the trick that sales guys selling billion dollar currency hedging contracts use though?
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:31 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm Disagreed. I've been there, you haven't.
I've been in other types of sales environment where you haven't been. You claim your lack of experience in wider environments isn't relevant, so you need to withdraw this statement or admit to inconsistency.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm Your speculation about it being a trick is just that, speculation. So far all you've shown is your prejudice towards salespeople. You can't argue about facts.
You've only provided one fact about your technique which is simply not speaking at a time where it is natural for somebody to talk forcing the other person to fill the void. That's a trick.

You want to discuss the other facts of your process, share those facts. Otherwise, follow your own advice and stay silent about your secrets. In which case I am entitled to assume they are much like the other thing. Which is just a trick you use.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm Again it isn't talent for the rep to stay silent while waiting for a response from the prospect.
Agreed, that is just a trick.

Do you think that just staying silent for an embarrassing pause is the trick that sales guys selling billion dollar currency hedging contracts use though?
So far you haven't established that the silence is a trick. It sounds like you're just trying to paint a negative picture.

And where have you been? You've yet to establish your authority.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
FlashDangerpants

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:39 pm So far you haven't established that the silence is a trick. It sounds like you're just trying to paint a negative picture.

If it can be described as waiting for the other guy to talk because "Whoever speaks first, loses." That's a trick. Why glorify it with any other name? It's too simple.

I sold computers and such like to companies. I've done million pound deals both as seller and customer. I've also worked with people who do much larger deals than that. And they don't use the uncomfortable silence trick to get that shit done.

Nevertheless, I am smart enough to recognise that my experience is only of a tiny corner of the sales industry. And so I wouldn't presume to know how it is done everywhere and by everybody the way that you rather stupidly do.
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:02 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:39 pm So far you haven't established that the silence is a trick. It sounds like you're just trying to paint a negative picture.

If it can be described as waiting for the other guy to talk because "Whoever speaks first, loses." That's a trick. Why glorify it with any other name? It's too simple.

I sold computers and such like to companies. I've done million pound deals both as seller and customer. I've also worked with people who do much larger deals than that. And they don't use the uncomfortable silence trick to get that shit done.

Nevertheless, I am smart enough to recognise that my experience is only of a tiny corner of the sales industry. And so I wouldn't presume to know how it is done everywhere and by everybody the way that you rather stupidly do.
It's the only technique that's ever been recognized within an industry.

Have you ever considered that talking can distract a prospect from decision-making? By your thinking, that would be tricking while I wouldn't say it is tricking. Now how would silence trick anyone into making positive decisions?

What important details are you leaving out that are pertinent to your business transactions? So far all you're showing is your unreasonable stubbornness.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
FlashDangerpants

If it's a simple trick that anyone can learn.... it's a trick.
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:27 pm If it's a simple trick that anyone can learn.... it's a trick.
The flaw in your logic is you're assuming it's a trick to start with.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
FlashDangerpants

Not really. I don't care whether we call it a trick or a technique or a skill or a talent. It's just a trick really, but if it really is the biggest and most important skill you have in your life, then sure, call it something grander if you must.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

It is definitely not a talent though, what it has become I mean, manipulating people, a talent? Sure, if it is done expertly well, then it is a skill, definitely, but there is very little of that left nowadays, and customers that buy what they do n`t want never come back, not unless they have already been trapped into a contract.
FlashDangerpants

Sure a person have a talent for manipulation. Is there something in the definition of talent that says talents must only be good?
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 pm Sure a person have a talent for manipulation. Is there something in the definition of talent that says talents must only be good?
Is that a sales talent?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ